BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ESPN Firings and Trickledown Effects (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=11802)

bearcatbacker82 04-26-2017 06:25 PM

ESPN Firings and Trickledown Effects

I'm not sure if I should be worried but I am. If the Biggest major network and home to most of Cincinnati bball and football games is struggling this could be bad for us. The AAC is already not respected by media members l. I feel that it would be easy to drop coverage for smaller conferences as a way to save $$. I don't see any other networks that would jump at the chance to add AAC with the same money as ESPN has paid for the last few years. Hopefully I an worried for nothing but I don't like this situation and we need to find a way into a power conference FAST.

Nayers 04-26-2017 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcatbacker82 (Post 168654)
I'm not sure if I should be worried but I am. If the Biggest major network and home to most of Cincinnati bball and football games is struggling this could be bad for us. The AAC is already not respected by media members l. I feel that it would be easy to drop coverage for smaller conferences as a way to save $$. I don't see any other networks that would jump at the chance to add AAC with the same money as ESPN has paid for the last few years. Hopefully I an worried for nothing but I don't like this situation and we need to find a way into a power conference FAST.

Someone will pay for our conferences games. Cutting content is not what will help espn's bottom line. I think we are respected about as much as we can be for having 1 sweet 16 in the last 10+years. We win when it counts and we'll get respect no matter what ur network coverage is.

bearcatbacker82 04-26-2017 08:05 PM

My concern is will the new network pay the amount ESPN has been paying. We were already being lowballed anyway

jacobkdoyle 04-26-2017 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcatbacker82 (Post 168656)
My concern is will the new network pay the amount ESPN has been paying. We were already being lowballed anyway

The AAC cut can't get much lower as it is. Might be worthwhile to move in another direction when the deal is up anyway. I'm not losing any sleep over any of this. ESPN has been a sinking ship for years anyway. This day has been a long time coming.

IDC 04-26-2017 08:46 PM

Live sports is still coveted. ESPN is failing because they have dozens of awful shows with blowhards who offer nothing to the viewer.

Cataclysmo 04-26-2017 10:30 PM

I feel as though your concerns are misguided. ESPN is the reason we are in this dirt conference. I wish them nothing but failure.

bearcatbacker82 04-26-2017 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cataclysmo (Post 168661)
I feel as though your concerns are misguided. ESPN is the reason we are in this dirt conference. I wish them nothing but failure.

I hope you are right. I just wonder if coverage for AAC goes down or pushed solely to ESPN3. Things are going to change big time when the tv contracts are up. I pray we are on the winning side of things when it happens. There is a lot of positive momentum happening with bball and football right now.

rayscott425 04-28-2017 03:41 AM

Half of our games are on fox sports already

jacobkdoyle 04-28-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayscott425 (Post 168696)
Half of our games are on fox sports already

I must be watching the wrong team.

cincyguy13 04-28-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDC (Post 168659)
Live sports is still coveted. ESPN is failing because they have dozens of awful shows with blowhards who offer nothing to the viewer.

They won't get rid of live sports. Live sports is what will keep them relevant going forward. I think the lay offs were a good thing for ESPN. they had too many people and they were probably making way too much. They could do another round of layoffs if they wanted.

I think it's a weird time for ESPN. Highlights are irrelevant with the Internet and how many debate shows can you have. I would think they try to get more live sports. Was surprised they didn't get the premier league contract a couple years ago.