BearcatTalk.com

BearcatTalk.com (https://www.bearcattalk.com/index.php)
-   Bearcat Basketball (https://www.bearcattalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Leadership Role (https://www.bearcattalk.com/showthread.php?t=11875)

waterhead 08-02-2017 11:17 AM

Leadership Role

We are losing a big time leader on the court in Troy Caupain and in a smaller sense Kevin Johnson. I think Troy was very much a glue guy and a player the team looked to in tough situations. He also helped energize the team when we needed it. Kevin knew the Bearcat culture inside and out and worked his butt off on D. They will be missed.

So who is going to step up and assume the role this year?

Washington is a vocal player and has done a very good job of patting guys on the back when a good play is made or picking them up when needed.

Broome will have the ball in his hands the most and we could use him stepping into the Caupain type role.

Evans is in his 3rd year and should be in line to be a leader this year if he has it in him.

Clark is in his 4th year and it would be nice to see him take on a more vocal role if he can.

Cumberland will be a soph and seems like more of a guy who will get it done on the court more than being a vocal guy but who knows.

Other...it will be a team effort...there will be no clear leader.

jacobkdoyle 08-02-2017 11:26 AM

Lol can you change "Nobody" to "Other"? Nobody just sounds so bleak haha.

waterhead 08-02-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 169986)
Lol can you change "Nobody" to "Other"? Nobody just sounds so bleak haha.

LOL good idea...you're right

I was thinking team effort but "nobody" sounds bad

JasonS 08-02-2017 11:31 AM

It is always best if the leadership can come from your best player. If Jacob can step up and assume that role, that will be best for this team. I would like to see Gary be more vocal but I'm not sure that is his personality.

waterhead 08-02-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonS (Post 169989)
It is always best if the leadership can come from your best player. If Jacob can step up and assume that role, that will be best for this team. I would like to see Gary be more vocal but I'm not sure that is his personality.

I agree. I sure would love to see both of them take charge a little more in huddles etc. They don't have to be "rah rah" guys but we need guys who can say "this is what we need to do right now" when the time comes.

jacobkdoyle 08-02-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhead (Post 169988)
LOL good idea...you're right

I was thinking team effort but "nobody" sounds bad

Haha I got it after seeing your post. I went to vote first and was like damn lol.

If it was "All" or "Other" or whatever you could vote for Quadri Moore or Jenifer if you really wanted to.

I voted for Clark. 4 year starter. He's been around the block. He has himself at the point where he can play through anything and still make an impact on the game. He's very unselfish too. That's a good quality. His laid back demeanor might actually help this team too imo. Everyone is so geared up for a quicker pace with Broome, but Clark's steadiness can help keep things in check if we get going a little too quickly and start turning it over or making bad decisions. Clark showed more moves in the post last year than I remember from him in his FR or SO season too. He's become a guy who can demand the ball and get a bucket. It may not be his style to scream and yell and get everyone all fired up, but he certainly leads by example. Any young guy here, or any recruit on a visit or whatever could look to Clark on how to be a class act.

waterhead 08-02-2017 11:37 AM

Leading by example is not a bad thing. Clark can tough it out like the best of them.

waterhead 08-02-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 169991)
Haha I got it after seeing your post. I went to vote first and was like damn lol.

If it was "All" or "Other" or whatever you could vote for Quadri Moore or Jenifer if you really wanted to.

I voted for Clark. 4 year starter. He's been around the block. He has himself at the point where he can play through anything and still make an impact on the game. He's very unselfish too. That's a good quality. His laid back demeanor might actually help this team too imo. Everyone is so geared up for a quicker pace with Broome, but Clark's steadiness can help keep things in check if we get going a little too quickly and start turning it over or making bad decisions. Clark showed more moves in the post last year than I remember from him in his FR or SO season too. He's become a guy who can demand the ball and get a bucket. It may not be his style to scream and yell and get everyone all fired up, but he certainly leads by example. Any young guy here, or any recruit on a visit or whatever could look to Clark on how to be a class act.

Very good points about Clark. He is rock steady. Doesn't give up...doesn't complain. Doesn't back down. He has made big plays on both sides of the ball when it counts.

juckerrules 08-03-2017 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle (Post 169991)

He showed more moves, but he didn't score any more than the year before (+.4, although averaged a couple fewer minutes, so better %)...seems to have settled into the role of hitting the boards, playing "D" and getting his 10 points. That's an important role. I would like to see him up his point production...maybe 12-13 pts./game, but if others increase their production, i'll take what Gary has.

rogerOH 08-03-2017 06:17 PM

I believe Clark's the inspirational leader and Washington is the on floor cheerleader.