Thread: @SMU
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM   #229
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Another sign of the IQ Evans plays with...yesterday we're pushing it down the floor, not a full blown transition opportunity, but we were on the move. And Evans sees Moore in front of him on the left side and waves him through to clear out via baseline to the other corner so we have spacing to start our possession. That's like having a coach on the floor. He has a tremendous understanding of how we need to be spaced. I don't even remember what happened on that possession but that's just one of those little things. The game moves slow enough for guys like him, Clark, and Cumberland that they not only do their own jobs, but can get other guys in position and teach them on the fly.
It is definitely a luxury to have guys like Evans and Clark out there helping coach do his job. It doesn't hurt that Cumberland doesn't need a lot of coaching either. Kyle is getting much better with his decision making.

You probably wouldn't think all of this by watching coach pace the sidelines...but I also think it's a very good thing he is out there directing traffic the whole game. Especially on D and press etc. He still has to remind players to run to their spot at times...but it can be complicated at times. If he can avoid watching us make mistakes (real time) that will hurt us...why would we not want him to be yelling on the sidelines all game long? I watch other coaches sit on the bench with their mouth shut most of the game. I would imagine their players are making mistakes too during the games that could be corrected before something bad happens.

I think he micro manages defense and press but not so much on offense. He lets the players figure that out more on their own and this is where Evans and Clark come in handy.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote