https://youtu.be/Jnf5hayHADk

New Guys
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #802
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Not much most of us don't already know.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.c...wichita-state/

American Athletic Conference Preview: Welcome, Wichita State!

2. Cincinnati remains a major title contender

Very quietly, Cincinnati has become one of the most consistent programs in the country. Coming off of a 30-win season and a seventh consecutive NCAA tournament appearance, the Bearcats and head coach Mick Cronin have a very good thing going right now.

Losing the backcourt of seniors Troy Caupain and Kevin Johnson is going to hurt. Two of the winningest guards in program history, it will be tough for Cincinnati to move on without their consistent presence. The Bearcats are hoping that Sacred Heart transfer Cane Broome can be an adequate replacement. The nation’s sixth-leading scorer at 23.1 points per game two seasons ago as a sophomore, Broome will play a new role at point for Cincinnati. If Broome can maintain his double-figure scoring status while getting others good looks then Cincinnati actually might have a better offense than last year. Junior Justin Jenifer is a solid security blanket should Broome struggle as he’s also provided minutes at point backing up Caupain.

After a breakout sophomore campaign, Jacob Evans returns on the wing after putting up numbers across the board while shooting 41 percent from three-point range. Evans is an all-league threat who might be a Player of the Year candidate if he can make another leap in the scoring column. Johnson’s spot in the lineup will be filled by sophomore Jarron Cumberland, a tough bucket-getter who could also be a potential upgrade from an offensive perspective.

Cincinnati’s frontcourt is perhaps the league’s best as versatile senior forwards Gary Clark and Kyle Washington return. A former league Defensive Player of the Year, Clark is a huge presence on the floor for Cincinnati at both ends while Washington is springy enough to block shots on defense while being skilled enough to stretch the floor a bit on offense.

Besides replacing a point guard, depth is going to be a question for Cincinnati. The frontcourt depth is there, but many of the pieces like sophomores Nysier Brooks and Tre Scott and freshmen Mamoudou Diarra and Eliel Nsoseme are inexperienced. Besides for Jennifer, Cincinnati doesn’t have many proven perimeter players who can come in and give a lift.

We know that Mick Cronin teams always have a chip on their shoulders and they’ll play physical and defend. Despite a 30-win season, nobody from the Bearcats was first-team All-AAC last season. Wichita State is getting all of this positive buzz now as the new guy. You think that doesn’t make Cincinnati angry? If the Bearcats can stay healthy then they have the offensive pop to be a really scary team this season.

The writer picked both Jacob Evans and Gary Clark for First Team AAC

Gary Clark, Cincinnati: A former Defensive Player of the Year in the American, if this senior forward can improve his woeful perimeter shooting then he becomes a major threat at both ends of the floor.

Jacob Evans, Cincinnati: The do-it-all junior wing is capable of scoring, helping on the glass, knocking down a perimeter shot or playing aggressively in passing lanes
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #803
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
That's a very good look at the new guys. One thing that sticks out for me is that we now seem to have guys like KJ and Thomas coming off the bench rather than giving us starter minutes early on in their career. We have guys like Justin Jackson (early years) coming off the bench for 10 minutes rather than 20.

We have a shooter who can defend. We have an all around wing who can slash and defend. We have a big who can probably block shots and pull rebounds like Kenyon (early years). We have a PF who can stretch the floor and jump out of the gym.

We have a lot of pieces to the puzzle now (role players for now) who are coming off the bench as opposed to having to put them in the starting lineup right away as frosh or sophs. This is what it is supposed to look like!!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #804
waterhead
Senior Moderator

It's really going to be a tough season IMO in terms of schedule but nothing a great team shouldn't be able to handle. Obviously we have some big hitters OOC mixed with some patsies. We are playing off campus doesn't help us a lot with the home slate. We have to go on the road to play X and UCLA and a neutral game with UF isn't easy by any means.

In conference it looks like most of the teams that may have had injuries in the past will be at full strength by the time we play them. WSU should have their injured players back, SMU will probably have McMuray, and Uconn should be back from an injury riddled season last year with some great guard play. With the talent on some of these squads it's not going to be a cake walk by any means in conference. UCF will be a very tough out. Temple could surprise etc. I think 3 losses wins the conference and 4 might be a tie.

We could even make a push as a conference to be top 6 or better. I am very happy we have an experienced group of starters right now. I think we are going to need it. I think our seeding in March should improve if we handle our business this year. 5-6 losses should not kill us if we can win some marquee games and finish 1st or 2nd in conference followed by a conference tourney title game showing.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #805
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
AAC Media day is Monday and starts bright and early at 7:45am with the release of preseason POY, Standings, Rookie of Year Etc.

UC will bring Mick, Jacob, Kyle and Gary.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #806
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Any interesting tidbits from practice so far?
Old 10-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #807
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I like the idea of having a little length with some fire power starting on the wings for once. Looking back we have had some guys 6'5" plus but most, if not all, were offensively challenged. Thinking Born Ready was perhaps the only exception. I don't think we need height at PG really when you have guys that are elusive.

Bishop
Sanders
Thomas

None were known as "scorers" really but I think all were 6'5" plus.

I think SK was 6'4" and of course he was great. Other than that we have had guys like Cobb, KJ, Dixon, Parker etc who didn't have the height that Cumberland and Evans do. I think most were 6'3" and Cobb at 6'1" maybe. At times we had SK, Parker, Dixon, and Wright all on the floor together at 6'4" and under.

We should be able to get shots off easier and make entry passes easier with the added length. Both of our frosh wings are 6'5" as well.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #808
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I loved rashad bishop I would take a player like him in a second, could hit the outside shot good rebounder and decision make and probably the best defensive player under Mick Cronin
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #809
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I loved rashad bishop I would take a player like him in a second, could hit the outside shot good rebounder and decision make and probably the best defensive player under Mick Cronin
He and Clark are the top guys I can think of in terms of being solid all-around players from day 1.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #810
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I would take Bishop but I would definitely not take him over current starters. He would be awesome for sub minutes. No mistakes...can guard almost anyone. Solid