Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #501
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Much of this probably has to do with his improvement in stats from last year.
It's going to be tough for Evans to break out AGAIN this year. There are too many scoring options on our team 1-5 for him to be able to take over as "the man". If he can develop a reliable dribble drive move he might be ready to move on. He is not a great enough shooter alone...he needs to prove he can drive. He was not there last year by any means...we had a freshman on the team who was better at it.

He has to be a knock down shooter or a complete all around option from a driving standpoint. I hope for his sake he can develop the driving aspect. I would love to see him go NBA...it would mean we had an awesome season. He is a GREAT kid and hard working guy dedicated to program success. Easy to love! I hope the best for him.
NBA scouts do a lot better job than the NCAA committee and AP rankings. They don't just look at stats. You can watch Jacob on the court no matter what he's doing and know he's going to the league.

I mean Lance never really killed it here and the list can go on, on certain players. I forgot Westbrook went to UCLA and played with Love. Westbrook stats weren't eye popping. Jake will get there even if he's not dropping 20 a game, because youre right we have a lot of weapons.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #502
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I hope he can leave after this year. That would mean he or the team had a good year. And it puts another uC guy in the league
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #503
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
will be interesting to see where he is after another summer in weight room. He has athletism but really needs to use it more often.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #504
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
NBA scouts do a lot better job than the NCAA committee and AP rankings. They don't just look at stats. You can watch Jacob on the court no matter what he's doing and know he's going to the league.

I mean Lance never really killed it here and the list can go on, on certain players. I forgot Westbrook went to UCLA and played with Love. Westbrook stats weren't eye popping. Jake will get there even if he's not dropping 20 a game, because youre right we have a lot of weapons.
Evans was the best player on the floor a lot last year. If he realizes that and plays like it all the time, he can really break out this year. He can make shots from everywhere...he needs to look to do that all the time. He should honestly never not score in double digits ever again in his UC career.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #505
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
NBA teams will take a guy who checks so many boxes:
He is 6'6
He has an over 40" vertical
He isn't slow
He can shoot the 3 at volume
He is a great defender
He makes winning plays
He has great court vision and passing ability
He defensive and offensive rebounds well for a guard

He only lacks the dribble drive stuff and you can develop that with time.

Versatile athletic SG are probably the hardest players to find in the NBA. When I was a kid the SG position was where most of the best players were (Jordan, Miller, Drexel etc) where as now its the PG and the SF.

Evans would be the prototypical 2 guard in the NBA.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:00 AM   #506
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
He is 6'6
He isn't slow
He is a great defender
He makes winning plays

Versatile athletic SG are probably the hardest players to find in the NBA. When I was a kid the SG position was where most of the best players were (Jordan, Miller, Drexel etc) where as now its the PG and the SF.

I agree. He will get a chance in the nba at some point On measurables alone. And he's a good shooter
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #507
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I agree. He will get a chance in the nba at some point On measurables alone. And he's a good shooter
Yeah, I see him jumping off the page a bit at the draft combine. His vertical and speed often go unnoticed.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #508
Freak25

Freak25 is on a distinguished road
Carlton Bragg to Arizona State.

I guess that's good news for those of you who didn't want him.
Freak25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:12 AM   #509
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
He is 6'6
He isn't slow
He is a great defender
He makes winning plays

I agree he's got the skill set. I guess he needs to also figure out which year would be best for him to enter. This year may not be a bad one to put his name in.

My issue with Jacob is his BB instinct on how to create a shot for himself. That's not something you can teach a kid very easily. He's got all the necessary skills to play in the NBA.

I hope he makes it. For selfish reasons I hope we get 2 more years out of him When (if) scoring (creating) becomes more natural for him I think his stock will go way up...but that also depends on who is in the draft.

Last edited by waterhead; 05-05-2017 at 09:26 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 AM   #510
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Just watched Gary and Jake's last season highlight videos. They got me so pumped for next year.

It really also made me appreciate how far UC has come in terms of offensive talent over the past few years.

Like when I look back at the Ellis JR and SR year roster, I quickly remember how much we struggled to score. Troy and Farad cobb had to lead us in scoring. Troy is naturally a pass first guy and Cobb was just too small to do anything other than hit 3's when wide open. And Even in Kilpatricks senior year, it was him against the world. Justin Jackson was not a scorer and either was Titus.

Now we have legit scoring options at every starting position.

Not only do we have offensive minded players, but they also play hard on the other end.

I dunno about you guys, but Im predicting this year to be the best team Cronin has ever had with the results to prove it. Just need evans or cumberland to be the closer Troy was and we are golden.

Evans highlight video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgDCX7GPnqY&t=287s

Gary Clark Highlight video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeoofzsEOyg
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote