Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2017, 01:09 PM   #621
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't know. Last year and the previous few years we had a PG who was kind of flat footed and not as quick. Cronin said pressing was not a great plan with Troy in the game and I imagine (for the same reason) neither was pushing the ball up the court. Troy was flat footed, although sure footed and controlled, but he wasn't built for the press or running.

We have to play to our strengths and I don't see how playing fast is not to our strength this year with 5 scorers on the court and a very quick PG (or two).

There will never be a time when playing fast on offense means that Cronin will relieve his team from getting back on D. A faster pace on O will mean a few more points given up on D by rule...but the efficiency needs to be there on either end to accommodate.
Sure. I guess I just wonder what the expense vs gain is in a pressing defense. You know the expenses are: Potentially getting beat and giving up easy baskets on the other end, and also tiring out your players for offensive possessions. But your gain is maybe driving up turnovers. But is pressing 30 possessions worth the 3-5 additional TO it may create?

If we compare UC's Defense to West Virginia's; basically WVU did one thing better than us: Force TO"s

Our FG% D was 3 points better than WVU, They allowed a dreadful amount of offensive rebounds, Our 2pt% D was 4 points better and we defended the 3 point shot better.

We also ranked 16th in the country in fouls per game whereas WVu ranked 298.

There is some serious downsides to a full on pressing defense. It takes away our biggest strengths in a lot of ways
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM   #622
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think Evans has proved he could play 40 minutes a night if he wanted. He literally never gets tired.

Just think though; in one year, mick moved to a motion offense and went from the 69th offense to the 34th. That’s a huge jump in one year.

I expect top 15 in defense and top 30 and maybe even top 25 on offense.

I don’t want to play fast for fasts sake. I want the ability to play fast which we have and to turn it up when needed. Against ucla a faster pace would have killed us, the slower pace in the first half kept us in the game.

I just want constant motion in the offense. And in terms of defense and pressing, I’d like to have it as an option but over all I’m not sure it’s a needed thing. Our man to man shuts down teams who can shoot and our zone protects the paint. It really just depends on how well we press.
We have so many options to score this year that we can game plan against anyone. I don't think "grinding it out" is really going to be our best option in most games. We can score with any team in the country. Slowing it down a little may be a good option when we can score easily down low. Other than that I think we should push the pace and let the chips fall.

Who is going to beat us when offensive fire power is the strategy? We don't have ANY weak links. When you combine that with our typical D...we are a VERY tough out! I agree with Jacob...let us dictate the pace of play and the strategy of the game. If we do...we have a great season!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #623
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Sure. I guess I just wonder what the expense vs gain is in a pressing defense. You know the expenses are: Potentially getting beat and giving up easy baskets on the other end, and also tiring out your players for offensive possessions. But your gain is maybe driving up turnovers. But is pressing 30 possessions worth the 3-5 additional TO it may create?

If we compare UC's Defense to West Virginia's; basically WVU did one thing better than us: Force TO"s

Our FG% D was 3 points better than WVU, They allowed a dreadful amount of offensive rebounds, Our 2pt% D was 4 points better and we defended the 3 point shot better.

We also ranked 16th in the country in fouls per game whereas WVu ranked 298.

There is some serious downsides to a full on pressing defense. It takes away our biggest strengths in a lot of ways
I didn't say we have to replicate WVU press style. But Cronin intimated that he wanted to press more with his quicker guards and that he couldn't do it last year because of Troy's limitations. You can ask him...IDK.

Could it be that what we give up is less than what we gain? Hey...you might be right...but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot to see what happens.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #624
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
I didn't say we have to replicate WVU press style. But Cronin intimated that he wanted to press more with his quicker guards and that he couldn't do it last year because of Troy's limitations. You can ask him...IDK.

Could it be that what we give up is less than what we gain? Hey...you might be right...but I wouldn't mind giving it a shot to see what happens.
Sure and I just want to be versatile.

Teams that are versatile when in march. Can you win playing fast? can you in a grinder ? Can you defend in the half court? Can you press teams with bad guards to force TO's?

Versatility is key for me.

Before we couldn't play fast because we didn't have the right players. Now we do. Before we couldn't press, but now we can?

I think UC's offensive and Defensive versatility could be its best attribute.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #625
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Teams that are versatile when in march. Can you win playing fast? can you in a grinder ? Can you defend in the half court? Can you press teams with bad guards to force TO's?

Before we couldn't play fast because we didn't have the right players. Now we do. Before we couldn't press, but now we can?

In terms of the press...that is what Cronin said basically. He will press more this year because he has the quickness he needs. He said it wasn't Troy's forte but Broome is quick enough.

Whether we do or not remains to be seen. We replace KJ with Cumberland so it seems like a wash to me in terms of quickness.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #626
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I agree 100% here. We can beat you inside or out depending on our advantage. We can slow you down and now we can speed you up. We have scorers at all 5 positions so we can game plan a little easier or ride the hot hand. We can press or drop back to half court when tired. We have depth to run out fresh legs and wear teams down. We can attack the lane or pop some 3's. We can go zone or man. We have bigs who can stretch the floor. We have some BB players and some athletes.

I can't think of too many areas we are deficient. Perhaps the best all around squad we have seen in close to 15 years.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #627
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We haven't been to the Elite 8 in over 20 years now. 1996 we were a 2 seed and made elite 8. We have made the Sweet 16 twice since then. From 1997-2002 we were a 1-3 seed 5 times out of 6 (including a 1 seed and a 2 seed twice) and the other year we were a 5 seed and the 5 seed was the Sweet 16 in 2001...lol! We went Sweet 16 in 2012 under Cronin as a 6 seed.

All 3 of Huggins Elite 8's or better happened within a 5 year span from 1992-1996. I was a junior during the Final 4 run in 1992 and I'm not sure I have had that much fun since. I won a basketball signed by the coach and the entire team at a game early that year and went on to use it in open gym until the signatures wore off because I wasn't expecting it to be the year it turned out to be. I guess I don't have to tell you I didn't make honor roll very often...lol!

I can't take a whole lot more of this drought and we are likely to keep up with poor/under seeding unless we do something extraordinary. I like this team on paper. I am ready for the drought to end. Elite 8 or bust...lol!

Pretty please!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #628
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
@BearcatJournal
Bearcats are 13th, The Problem is a 4th team Pre-Season All American https://t.co/rNB7asKXnS
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 AM   #629
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
We haven't been to the Elite 8 in over 20 years now. 1996 we were a 2 seed and made elite 8. We have made the Sweet 16 twice since then. From 1997-2002 we were a 1-3 seed 5 times out of 6 (including a 1 seed and a 2 seed twice) and the other year we were a 5 seed and the 5 seed was the Sweet 16 in 2001...lol! We went Sweet 16 in 2012 under Cronin as a 6 seed.

All 3 of Huggins Elite 8's or better happened within a 5 year span from 1992-1996. I was a junior during the Final 4 run in 1992 and I'm not sure I have had that much fun since. I won a basketball signed by the coach and the entire team at a game early that year and went on to use it in open gym until the signatures wore off because I wasn't expecting it to be the year it turned out to be. I guess I don't have to tell you I didn't make honor roll very often...lol!

I can't take a whole lot more of this drought and we are likely to keep up with poor/under seeding unless we do something extraordinary. I like this team on paper. I am ready for the drought to end. Elite 8 or bust...lol!

Pretty please!

All it takes is one elite 8 or final four to turn around this " mediocre Mick" talk. Huggins is loved in this city even though he did all his damage in his first 5 years then was "mediocre bob" for the rest of his time here. But all it takes is a really great run to end your critics. It changes your entire perception. Villanova had a series of years of getting bounced out early in protected seeds. Then they won it all, now Jay Wright is a winner.

I want that for Mick just as bad as I want it for UC. I want him to have that to shut up his critics.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #630
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All it takes is one elite 8 or final four to turn around this " mediocre Mick" talk. Huggins is loved in this city even though he did all his damage in his first 5 years then was "mediocre bob" for the rest of his time here. But all it takes is a really great run to end your critics. It changes your entire perception. Villanova had a series of years of getting bounced out early in protected seeds. Then they won it all, now Jay Wright is a winner.

I want that for Mick just as bad as I want it for UC. I want him to have that to shut up his critics.
Doesn't really seem like there are very many critics these days.

I'm also going to blow my brains out if this thread turns in to a Cronin vs Huggins debate.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote