Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 05-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Post-Spring Big East Power Rankings

From Brian Bennett (ESPN):

Spring football is over, and it's time to issue another set of power rankings for the Big East.

I saw seven of the eight teams in person this spring (sorry, Syracuse) and I think I have a pretty good feel for where the teams stand right now. But things can change between now and September, and this league is going to be as competitive as it's ever been from top to bottom. Now, without further ado:

1. Pittsburgh: The Panthers have some questions, notably on the interior offensive lines. But they've also got Dion Lewis, Greg Romeus and Jonathan Baldwin and more answers on both sides of the ball than any other Big East squad.

2. Cincinnati: The two-time defending champs probably deserve the top spot until someone knocks them out of it. Still, I have lingering concerns about that defense, though the offense has a chance to be devastatingly good.

3. Connecticut: I liked UConn going into the spring and was even more impressed with the Huskies after seeing them live. Lots of depth and more speed than you think.

4. West Virginia: The Mountaineers could very easily rule the Big East again this year and have more returning starters than anyone else. I need to see Geno Smith get fully healthy and things start to gel more overall before I move them up, however.

5. Rutgers: This is a young but very talented team, especially on defense. The offensive line remains the huge sticking point right now and could be what holds the Scarlet Knights back from serious contention this year.

6. South Florida: Losing A.J. Love at the end of the spring was a big blow for an offense that was light on experienced receivers. The defense is green but gifted. Skip Holtz has plenty to work with, but he may need some more time to get it all pieced together.

7. Syracuse: Delone Carter's suspension at the end of the spring cast a pall over the Orange camp, and quarterback competition could continue into August. Syracuse still should show improvement based simply on having more healthy bodies.

8. Louisville: Incoming players this summer could push for playing time right away, because the Cardinals need more difference-makers, especially on defense. The team got better and tougher this spring under Charlie Strong but still has a long way to go.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...power-rankings
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
WVU fans are blowing a gasket on Bennett's blog and over on their boards for being ranked 4th in the power poll. LOL, those guys think they should win the BE every year and the national title on every even number year.

I think the list is about right IMHO. I could see Syracuse and UL switching spots if Charlie Strong is half the game day coach and motivator he is a recruiter.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
I think the defense will be better than last year. We lost some players, but nearly all of the underclassmen played significant minutes in the rotation and I have a hunch about the Coach Jones defensive scheme. The offense will be unstoppable in this conference.

I think both Syracuse and Loserville could finish higher. The Bulls of S. FLA will take a step or two back after losing Pierre-Paul and Grothe, and players in the secondary.
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
If our D was 2/3 as good as Pitt's (especially DL), we'd be tops and looking down below at everyone else.
BJ needs to do what Wanny did, offer lots of of DT/DE and load up. It's an investment that pays off.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Best of Spring from the Big East...

Best spring game performance: South Florida receiver Dontavia Bogan was the favored recipient of B.J. Daniels' air show in the spring game, catching nine balls for 228 yards and four touchdowns. Bogan's big game gave some reason for hope on a day when fellow wideout A.J. Love tore his ACL.

Best improvement by a position group: Rutgers' receivers. In a year, the Scarlet Knights pass-catchers went from Tim Brown and a bunch of nobodies (remember, Mohamed Sanu had to be moved over from defense late last spring to shore things up) to a group full of potential. Credit the impressive offseason improvements by Tim Wright, Mark Harrison and Quron Pratt.

Best guest playcaller: Cincinnati coach Butch Jones let a fan in the stands call a play from the playbook, and the fan wisely chose some trickery. The play resulted in a 60-yard bomb on an option pass from receiver D.J. Woods to Vidal Hazelton.

Best two-way player: West Virginia's Coley White played quarterback for both the Gold and Blue teams in the spring game as Geno Smith was held out to protect a foot injury. Pat White's younger brother threw three touchdowns to complete a stellar spring. "He's a White," wide receiver Jock Sanders said, simply.

Best spring game atmosphere: (Tie) Rutgers and West Virginia were the only two teams in the Big East to draw 20,000 fans to their spring games.

Best bold quote: "We have improved in toughness and physicality and people just wanting to play the game," Syracuse linebacker Derrell Smith said. "Coach [Doug Marrone] did a good job for preparing us for last season and I think that he is going to do an even better job this year. Hopefully I'll be out here next year with a championship ring on my finger."

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post...-of-the-spring
swg is offline   Reply With Quote