Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #31
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Analyzing the Rankings

Here are the teams that finished first in any of the eight rankings and how many first-place nods they received:

Cincinnati: 3 (QB, WR, TE)

Pittsburgh: 2 (RB, DL)

Connecticut: 2 (OL, LB)

West Virginia: 1 (DB).

I've been saying all along that these four teams are the top four contenders, and that Cincinnati had the best offense. Those rankings bear that out.

Now here's how many times each team appeared in the upper half, or top four, of the group rankings:

Pittsburgh: 7 (Everything but TE)

West Virginia: 7 (Everything but QB)

Rutgers 6 (TE, WR, DL, LB, DB, QB)

Connecticut: 5 (QB, RB, OL, LB, TE)

Cincinnati: 5 (QB, WR, TE, RB, OL)

South Florida: 1 (DL)

Syracuse: 1 (DB)

Louisville: 0

Not a lot of real surprises here. We knew that Pitt and West Virginia have a lot of returning experienced talent, along with UConn and Cincinnati. Rutgers fared a little better than I would have expected, while South Florida fared much worse than I would have thought. The lack of elite talent at Syracuse and Louisville is reflected in these rankings.

Finally, here are how the teams stand when you add each team's position group placement together (awarding eight points for first, seven for second, etc.)

1. West Virginia: 50 points
2. Pittsburgh: 49
3. Cincinnati: 45
4. Connecticut: 44
5. Rutgers: 38
6. South Florida: 25
7. Syracuse: 22
8. Louisville: 16
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #32
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
I don't see WV being able to stop the UC offense. Pitt might be able to, but they are likewise breaking in a new QB. This year is wide open for the top three.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #33
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
We will know after game number 3 if this defense will be good enough to win a Big East Championship. I, personally, think it is and will be better than last year. A lot of the guys that saw minutes last year were freshmen (especially in the secondary) and you can expect to see a major jump in their play this year. It's amazing, how this team could be positioned a year from now. The offense will have most of it's firepower back and the defense will be very experienced. If the Bearcats can win the Big East this year, we could be looking at 4 Big East Championships in a row.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote