Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cincinnati Pro Sports

Old 04-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #861
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
@RedsTalk2017
Luis Castillo (main piece in Dan Straily deal) hit 101 on the radar gun in Pensacola tonight. Highway robbery by Dick Williams.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 PM   #862
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Just an interesting side bit, Straily had a no hit bid through 5 against the mets and was pulled 2 days ago
Old 04-22-2017, 11:14 PM   #863
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
@RedsTalk2017
Luis Castillo (main piece in Dan Straily deal) hit 101 on the radar gun in Pensacola tonight. Highway robbery by Dick Williams.
Pump the brakes again

Ichiro pinch-hitting meant right-hander Dan Straily was, finally, done for the night. He toyed with the Padres for seven innings in a 6-3, 11-inning win, striking out a career-high 14 batters and allowing only four hits and no walks.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...422-story.html
Old 04-22-2017, 11:26 PM   #864
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Pump the brakes again

Ichiro pinch-hitting meant right-hander Dan Straily was, finally, done for the night. He toyed with the Padres for seven innings in a 6-3, 11-inning win, striking out a career-high 14 batters and allowing only four hits and no walks.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...422-story.html
Yeah saw that. Damn.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #865
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Tyler Mahle pitched a perfect game for AA Pensacola last night. He's allowed 7 H and 2 R in 26.2 innings on the year.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #866
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tyler Mahle pitched a perfect game for AA Pensacola last night. He's allowed 7 H and 2 R in 26.2 innings on the year.
Has the best control of all the prospects, hope to see him in a reds uniform soon.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #867
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Arroyo with two wins in a row.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #868
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Arroyo with two wins in a row.
Wins? He had 5 IP 5.40 ERA 1.40 WHIP and 4 K to 2 BB vs Baltimore and skated on thin ice the entire start.

If you want to mention him doing well, stick to yesterday. He had a QS and 7 K to 0 BB. He's going to get hurt by the long ball all year and won't strikeout a batter per inning, but his best bet is to not walk anyone. He'll have starts where he gets crushed due to diminished stuff, but if he pitches anywhere near to what he did yesterday, I have no issues with him in the rotation. That kind if start is exactly why I wanted Adleman in the rotation. Get 18 outs and keep us in the game. I understand people want the young guys, but they have shown no ability to this point to get through a lineup a few times. Arroyo pitching the way he did yesterday helps save our bullpen...the exact reason you want an innings eater at the back end. If he pitches efficiently and to about a 5 ERA, he can stick around. He's faced good lineups too, so it's encouraging that he seems to be improving. Yesterday was the first time I actually enjoyed watching him pitch this year. I hope he keeps it up.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #869
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Wins? He had 5 IP 5.40 ERA 1.40 WHIP and 4 K to 2 BB vs Baltimore and skated on thin ice the entire start.

If you want to mention him doing well, stick to yesterday. He had a QS and 7 K to 0 BB. He's going to get hurt by the long ball all year and won't strikeout a batter per inning, but his best bet is to not walk anyone. He'll have starts where he gets crushed due to diminished stuff, but if he pitches anywhere near to what he did yesterday, I have no issues with him in the rotation. That kind if start is exactly why I wanted Adleman in the rotation. Get 18 outs and keep us in the game. I understand people want the young guys, but they have shown no ability to this point to get through a lineup a few times. Arroyo pitching the way he did yesterday helps save our bullpen...the exact reason you want an innings eater at the back end. If he pitches efficiently and to about a 5 ERA, he can stick around. He's faced good lineups too, so it's encouraging that he seems to be improving. Yesterday was the first time I actually enjoyed watching him pitch this year. I hope he keeps it up.
Really think the method to their madness with Arroyo is to buy some time and ease the youngsters into the rotation. Arroyo is not part of the long term plan. He does provide a very nice example of location and changing speeds being a very important piece of the pitching puzzle. Young guys try to rely on velocity these days instead of pitching. Regardless what his line was against Baltimore we won. He had two of the 3 wins on the home stand. Not bad for a 40 year old with a 84 MPH fastball coming off a 2 year lay off. Like you I have my doubts he can be effective over the season even after watching him pitch yesterday,
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #870
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Really think the method to their madness with Arroyo is to buy some time and ease the youngsters into the rotation. Arroyo is not part of the long term plan. He does provide a very nice example of location and changing speeds being a very important piece of the pitching puzzle. Young guys try to rely on velocity these days instead of pitching. Regardless what his line was against Baltimore we won. He had two of the 3 wins on the home stand. Not bad for a 40 year old with a 84 MPH fastball coming off a 2 year lay off. Like you I have my doubts he can be effective over the season even after watching him pitch yesterday,
I agree on him being a good mentor, etc. There's just a limit to how bad you can be and still be worth having around in that role. A near 7 ERA and 1 QS in 4 outings won't cut it. Hopefully he's bouncing back a little though. It'd be in the best interest of the Reds for it to work out. We'll see how he does in his next 2 starts.