Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #2241
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I will say something about KJ. I know he shoots the ball at an inconsistent rate from 3 and was a turnover machine earlier in his career, but I believe the turnovers troubles are behind him. He's not perfect but believe he's cleaned that up. I do truly get why he plays though, he gets after it on D and I truly think he is out there because he wants to win and is willing to do what ever it takes. I'm hoping his 3 point shooting % will increase which I believe it will, but like we have all said we know he's not going to be lights out.

I rewatched the UC and Purdue tournament game last Friday and noticed his big 3 late when we got down 7 points with 48 seconds left. I thought about how he really has hit some big shots in his career:
Freshman year: Hit a big 3 late against Harvard when we needed a bucket.. It's been awhile since I re-watched this game so I don't remember the details but I know we really needed it, because Kilpatrick wasn't doing much.
Sophomore Year: Big 3 against Purdue like I just mentioned. 48 seconds left down 7. ran down drained a deep 3.
Junior Year: Did well against Houston when they made their run when we were home, but his biggest shot was the 3 that should have won us the game against UCONN. That still hurts.
Senior year: He hit a big fade away 2 pointer against ISU late, and in OT he drove and had nice tough layup to bring us down 1.

Just was thinking about how tough he does play, and never gives up. Not making him out to be our best player, just like the fact he has the Cincinnati mindset, and I think people are a lot harder on him then he deserves. Especially since he reps the brand harder and meaningful then almost anyone that puts on that jersey. I sat by his family at the game against Bowling Green, and they are true fans.
Not necessarily agreeing with this take, but freshman year, he did also hit a big 3-pointer against UCF in the AAC Tournament, IIRC.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see he and Cumberland's minutes around the same here on out.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:00 AM   #2242
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I feel like Cumberland needs to take about 6 threes a game and here is why. I think he adjusts well after he misses.

In games he's taken 2 or less 3's he's 0-10. 7 games.

In games he's taken 3 or more he's 10-17.

In games he's taken 4 or more he's 9-14.

In the second half of games he has taken 3 or more he's 9-11.

If we contrast that to KJ or Troy... I don't think they adjust to their misses nearly as well. The likelihood of them making their next shot doesn't necessarily go up with more attempts. Cumberland seems like a guy who will get it going, more times than not, if given enough opportunities. Of course it could just be an anomaly...but I don't think it is. Im not saying he will hold these percentages all year of course...but that's not the point.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-19-2016 at 09:04 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #2243
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Not necessarily agreeing with this take, but freshman year, he did also hit a big 3-pointer against UCF in the AAC Tournament, IIRC.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see he and Cumberland's minutes around the same here on out.
I can agree. Just thought about it watching Purdue game and ISU game again seeing a few of those big shots he made.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 12-19-2016 at 09:08 AM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #2244
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I feel like Cumberland needs to take about 6 threes a game and here is why. I think he adjusts well after he misses.

In games he's taken 2 or less 3's he's 0-10. 7 games.

In games he's taken 3 or more he's 10-17.

In games he's taken 4 or more he's 9-14.

In the second half of games he has taken 3 or more he's 9-11.

If we contrast that to KJ or Troy... I don't think they adjust to their misses nearly as well. The likelihood of them making their next shot doesn't necessarily go up with more attempts. Cumberland seems like a guy who will get it going, more times than not, if given enough opportunities. Of course it could just be an anomaly...but I don't think it is.
I think Cumberland will have more minutes now that he has proven he can make shots. The biggest thing of course is about competition. He has struggled in bigger games, but some of that can be blamed on not enough playing time to get in a good rhythm. He also wasn't aggressive in the times he played though to make a case, so it is unknown. I think teams like Temple and Houston or really any conference opponents that are good but maybe not Butler good he will get plenty of chances to prove himself. This way he can truly help against teams like Xavier and opponents we will see in the tournament.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #2245
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Don't forget Cumberland also backs up Evans at the 3. Really don't think it will be hard to find 20 minutes a game for Cumberland with how he is starting to adjust to D-1 basketball. The second line of him, JJ, Brooks and Scott really gives the team a very nice change of pace. It also allows rest for the starters which helps them stay fresh while playing very good defense. The big issue is can they sustain their production against better competition. If the can or are even close we are really going to be a tough team to handle especially in our conference.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #2246
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I can agree. Just thought about it watching Purdue game and ISU game again seeing a few of those big shots he made.
The biggest shot he made was negated by a 3/4 court heave against UCONN that would have put us in the conference Championship game. His 3 put us ahead right before that shot.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #2247
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

He also hit 2 FT to seal a W at Houston as a FR.

I agree on that minute breakdown. Just bc I am hard on Johnson doesn't mean I don't think he should play at all. Just not over twice as much as Cumberland like it was a few games ago.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 12-19-2016 at 09:45 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #2248
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
He also hit 2 FT to seal a W at Houston as a FR.

I agree on that minute breakdown. Just bc I am hard on Johnson doesn't mean I don't think he should play at all. Just not over twice as much as Cumberland like it was a few games ago.
If both are playing well it means we do not have to play Evans 35 minutes a game.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 12-19-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #2249
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
The biggest shot he made was negated by a 3/4 court heave against UCONN that would have put us in the conference Championship game. His 3 put us ahead right before that shot.
I think it would've put us in the semi-finals.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #2250
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

What we need is for all the guys to be adjusting to their roles and playing well. We have 9 guys who are all contributing right now. We play a very physically tough brand of defense. I have heard many players comment how hard that is while maintaining your offensive production. Having capable subs that provide minutes with little or know fall off in production is a huge key. It keeps fresh players on the floor pressuring the basketball at all times. If also helps safe guard us from injury concerns. Really like how Mick is bringing this group along.