Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2017, 12:17 PM   #2641
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I know I know. I want the one seed. Trust me. Too stupid of reasons why I said the other statement.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #2642
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
All those people who think point spreads matter should mostly believe we will get beaten by SMU on Sunday. We would be a straight underdog on a neutral court let alone on theirs.

So I'm going to stay that game is a loss, we just need to win out and hope they slip up to someone else.
How would we be an underdog on a neutral floor?
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #2643
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Lol I really don't think you're grasping what the point is on point spreads. Handicapping a game is basically power ranking the teams. In the context I'm using, it's implying a margin for error. That's all.
You should not have to explain that...
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #2644
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
How would we be an underdog on a neutral floor?
According to kenpom. They are 16th, we are 20th..

We would be underdog by his projections.

We are a 4 point underdog @SMU

Would either be even or 1 point underdog on neutral

Last edited by justinhub2003; 02-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #2645
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Lol I really don't think you're grasping what the point is on point spreads. Handicapping a game is basically power ranking the teams. In the context I'm using, it's implying a margin for error. That's all.
I'm just messing again. Just thought it was kinda funny everyone was so confident bc we were the 10 point favorite and how it was going to affect the game. I

But you believe we're gonna lose though ?

Last edited by justinhub2003; 02-07-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #2646
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I'm just messing again. Just thought it was kinda funny everyone was so confident bc we were the 10 point favorite and how it was going to affect the game. I

But you believe we're gonna lose though ?
It's interesting because some teams have more of a home court advantage than others do for whatever the reason. Playing at Moody is extremely tough and their rank nationally from one source I found was 32nd good for 6 points advantage. UC was ranked in the 200's at 3 point advantage in this 2012 article. Again, this was from 2012...but Moody didn't change much (may have gotten tougher since then). Our home court advantage has probably changed quite a bit since then too.

This means if we are even on a neutral court I (not Vegas) would put us as 6 point dogs at Moody which is significant. I am not predicting a loss but we will have to play extremely well. We have done it there before. We have a special team...but obviously they do too.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #2647
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's interesting because some teams have more of a home court advantage than others do for whatever the reason. Playing at Moody is extremely tough and their rank nationally from one source I found was 32nd good for 6 points advantage. UC was ranked in the 200's at 3 point advantage in this 2012 article. Again, this was from 2012...but Moody didn't change much (may have gotten tougher since then). Our home court advantage has probably changed quite a bit since then too.

This means if we are even on a neutral court I (not Vegas) would put us as 6 point dogs at Moody which is significant. I am not predicting a loss but we will have to play extremely well. We have done it there before. We have a special team...but obviously they do too.
Interesting enough Tulsa was ranked higher than SMU for home court advantage in 2012. I wish I had more up to date data...but I'm lazy and picked the first article I could find. I should mention the data was from 2000-2012.

http://predictionmachine.com/college...ourt-advantage

Last edited by waterhead; 02-07-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #2648
waterhead
Senior Moderator

We have enough talent this year to win when some of our players are flat. Washington, Clark, and Cumberland have been doing some heavy lifting lately. Not sure what is going on with Evans but he has a tendency to be indecisive with the basketball. He dribbles around too much trying to get a little too cute. Contrast Evans with Cumberland who is VERY decisive...he's either letting one fly from deep or making one or two dribbles and heading to the bucket. Evans needs to just decide if he's going to shoot or drive and stop dilly dallying with the ball (ala Thomas). Once he simplifies his game...he will take off again.

KJ has been having a rough go lately. Last 4 games he's shooting about 25% from 2 and 3. Averaging about 5 points. Cumberland on the other hand is knocking down 60% from 2 and around 50% from 3 averaging 15 over the same stretch.

We have 3 players kicking it into gear and 3 who need to get it going if we want to continue our run. Troy has been a little off lately too...he has averaged around 2 rebounds his last 5 games but the previous 7 games he averaged around 7.

If we can put it all together we are a top 10 team...but we need to get Evans and Troy operating on all cylinders again to be a great team in March.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #2649
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We have enough talent this year to win when some of our players are flat. Washington, Clark, and Cumberland have been doing some heavy lifting lately. Not sure what is going on with Evans but he has a tendency to be indecisive with the basketball. He dribbles around too much trying to get a little too cute. Contrast Evans with Cumberland who is VERY decisive...he's either letting one fly from deep or making one or two dribbles and heading to the bucket. Evans needs to just decide if he's going to shoot or drive and stop dilly dallying with the ball (ala Thomas). Once he simplifies his game...he will take off again.

KJ has been having a rough go lately. Last 4 games he's shooting about 25% from 2 and 3. Averaging about 5 points. Cumberland on the other hand is knocking down 60% from 2 and around 50% from 3 averaging 15 over the same stretch.

We have 3 players kicking it into gear and 3 who need to get it going if we want to continue our run. Troy has been a little off lately too...he has averaged around 2 rebounds his last 5 games but the previous 7 games he averaged around 7.

If we can put it all together we are a top 10 team...but we need to get Evans and Troy operating on all cylinders again to be a great team in March.
Agreed on Evans. The 8-15 foot pull up is a good thing. I feel like it has taken Caupain and Johnson time to really learn that too. Driving doesn't mean you'll get a layup or foul every time.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #2650
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I actually think Cumberland still sometimes passes up wide open shots. And instead drives and then kicks. He needs to take that first wide open shot but I think he is mildly reluctant to shoot "too much" as a freshman. Mick has talked about the basketball gods punishing him sometimes for not taking the open look.

He really showed out for Xavier and I'd love to see him have his first great road performance of his career @SMU. If he shows up, and Evans shows up, we can win but if Evans stays quiet, Cumberland is non existent on the road and we're left with relying on the bigs only, it could get ugly. Need to hit 3's to keep them from clogging the lane like they like too.