Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-05-2017, 09:38 PM   #21
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegZdid View Post
I think he would still be here, he hasn't shown the ability to create his own shot which is everything in the NBA.
Bingo. Never seen a guy as athletic as Evans struggle to create space off the bounce as much as he does. Felt like he had a disproportionate number of jumpers off the dribble blocked for a player of his caliber.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:27 AM   #22
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
I love Evans, but I get the frustration. Put Sean Kilpatrick's brain in Jacob Evans' body and you've got a future NBA All-Star. That said... he was incredibly efficient offensively and, at least in my opinion, was our best perimeter defender. I won't be shocked if Cumberland passes Evans as our leading scorer, but Evans will still be our best all-around player.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Bingo. Never seen a guy as athletic as Evans struggle to create space off the bounce as much as he does. Felt like he had a disproportionate number of jumpers off the dribble blocked for a player of his caliber.
I think he's got the ability now but just needs a little help to get there. He hesitates way too much. If he could just limit his dribbling to one or two moves and then go he would be a much improved player. He just needs to attack the lane after one or two moves. Nothing fancy. The offensive guy has the advantage. SK and Cumberland will dribble once or twice and just put the head down and go to the lane. With Evans jumping ability he's got all sorts of options once he gets in the lane. Take it to the rack, pull up J, kick out pass if it's not there. It really isn't rocket science but it looks like that sometimes when he is dribbling around the perimeter. He's got a little bit of Shaq Thomas in him. Coach needs to step up and give him some guidance IMO.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:50 AM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I hope Evans is at 15+. I hope Cumberland and Broome are over 13. And Clark and Washington between 10-13.
If Washington can find a way to stay on the court it will be hard to beat him in scoring. At .52 points per minute last year...if he's on the court for 30 minutes that equates to 15.5 ppg. Even if he can stay on the court for 27.5 mpg he can be over 14 ppg.

However, with more options on the perimeter this year, he may not see as many opportunities. Then again with a faster pace it may offset and he could see more easy alley oop or fast break type points.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

It's hard to say who is going to lead us in scoring but I can't wait to see if we have a "money guy" show up this year. We need a clutch player or two to be an elite team. Guys who can not only create and get a shot off but make a good percentage of them when the clock is winding down. Or get fouled and knock the FT's down.

Fortunately I think we are adding two guys to the starting lineup that can perhaps both provide some clutch moments. We have probably only had one "clutch" guy in the Cronin era...SK. Caupain was forced into that role and he did admirably given it was a forced situation. He had only one move and that was a straight line bull rush to the rim. Hopefully we will have many different options this year than just that one play call.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #26
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's hard to say who is going to lead us in scoring but I can't wait to see if we have a "money guy" show up this year. We need a clutch player or two to be an elite team. Guys who can not only create and get a shot off but make a good percentage of them when the clock is winding down. Or get fouled and knock the FT's down.

Fortunately I think we are adding two guys to the starting lineup that can perhaps both provide some clutch moments. We have probably only had one "clutch" guy in the Cronin era...SK. Caupain was forced into that role and he did admirably given it was a forced situation. He had only one move and that was a straight line bull rush to the rim. Hopefully we will have many different options this year than just that one play call.
I don't think we need a "clutch" guy. I think it will come down to match ups. Toward the end of the year, they started just giving the ball to the mismatch and it worked for the most part. I think we see a lot more of that with more options. Whatever it is, I ready for the season
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don't think we need a "clutch" guy. I think it will come down to match ups. Toward the end of the year, they started just giving the ball to the mismatch and it worked for the most part. I think we see a lot more of that with more options. Whatever it is, I ready for the season
I can agree having 5 guys on the court who can all score is going to present matchup problems for any defense and we should exploit that. I think this will help with Cronin's game planning more than anything but can certainly help in crucial situations too.

I still feel like it's hard to underestimate what it's like to have the ability to put the ball in one guy's hands (or two) and they can make something happen no matter the matchup. I think we will be adding two players to the starting lineup who can at the very least manufacture a decent shot in crunch time. If they can convert a good % of those...we are going to be very hard to beat.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #28
jds513

jds513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If Washington can find a way to stay on the court it will be hard to beat him in scoring. At .52 points per minute last year...if he's on the court for 30 minutes that equates to 15.5 ppg. Even if he can stay on the court for 27.5 mpg he can be over 14 ppg.

However, with more options on the perimeter this year, he may not see as many opportunities. Then again with a faster pace it may offset and he could see more easy alley oop or fast break type points.
I want to see Washington use his right hand this year. If he can just have an average off-hand, he could play in the NBA
jds513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #29
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
I feel like he has a good pull-up jumper overall. Just some growing pains at times. He's been asked to do a lot in 2 years. At times I feel like he doesn't take enough jumpers honestly, and he tries too hard to get all the way to the hoop. His best bet for shots within 5 feet might be offensive rebounds, transition, and cutting without the ball. He needs to be one of the best shotmakers in America this year. Cold-blooded, hitting shots from everywhere. A completely unleashed Evans is terrifying to think about. He's gotta have that upperclassman mindset now. He has more legit experience than most players he'll go up against, and he's more talented. No reason he shouldn't score 17 a game and make a run at AAC POY.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I love Evans, but I get the frustration. Put Sean Kilpatrick's brain in Jacob Evans' body and you've got a future NBA All-Star. That said... he was incredibly efficient offensively and, at least in my opinion, was our best perimeter defender. I won't be shocked if Cumberland passes Evans as our leading scorer, but Evans will still be our best all-around player.
I disagree with this and think it's unfair. SK was the age Evans is now by the time he played his first game. Evans knows the game. He's smart and is a very tough, instinctual competitor.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote