Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who leads the team in scoring?
Evans 20 52.63%
Washington 3 7.89%
Broome 5 13.16%
Cumberland 9 23.68%
Clark 1 2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This is how I feel. Would love him to take off but it's rare that someone that is somewhat passive all the sudden "takes over" and makes it his team. It could happen but it's rare
I agree. But it's not just that he's passive. It's just that we are Bearcats fans. We think our player will make a big jump. Often fans thinks that about a player on their team. We can't just assume he's going to jump 10-20 spots. But I certainly hope so. As far as being passive. If it was his senior year, it would be more likely that the light bulb would come on and he would take the bull by the horns and become the leader of the team.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:35 AM   #32
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This is how I feel. Would love him to take off but it's rare that someone that is somewhat passive all the sudden "takes over" and makes it his team. It could happen but it's rare
I think its unfair to call Jacob Passive.

Was he passive in some games? yes. But that Marshall game where he had that 3 point dagger wasn't passive at all.

Sean Kilpatrick wasn't passive. But he also didn't have the option to be passive. He had zero scoring talent around him his senior year.

Evans is a smart efficient team player. He has the talent to lead a team but also knows, he doesn't have to jack up bad shots because he has good teammates around him.

I mean, I think he needs to get more aggressive driving the ball and I know he can do it, I just think its a confidence thing. He needs to drive on the catch like Jarron does. If he does that, its all he needs to be a 5 tool kinda player.

His defense is downright amazing.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #33
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think its unfair to call Jacob Passive.

Was he passive in some games? yes. But that Marshall game where he had that 3 point dagger wasn't passive at all.

Sean Kilpatrick wasn't passive. But he also didn't have the option to be passive. He had zero scoring talent around him his senior year.

Evans is a smart efficient team player. He has the talent to lead a team but also knows, he doesn't have to jack up bad shots because he has good teammates around him.

I mean, I think he needs to get more aggressive driving the ball and I know he can do it, I just think its a confidence thing. He needs to drive on the catch like Jarron does. If he does that, its all he needs to be a 5 tool kinda player.

His defense is downright amazing.
I just don't want Evans passing up shots. And I don't mind if he shoots a ton of 3s in the halfcourt. He hasn't been all Tha successful driving against a set defense. I'd rather have him as a jumpshooter who gets his looks around the rim by way of transition, cutting without the ball, and offensive rebounds.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I just don't want Evans passing up shots. And I don't mind if he shoots a ton of 3s in the halfcourt. He hasn't been all Tha successful driving against a set defense. I'd rather have him as a jumpshooter who gets his looks around the rim by way of transition, cutting without the ball, and offensive rebounds.
If we want to isolate Evans, then he needs to be decisive. But in general, him putting the ball on the floor a bunch and having a low success rate of getting to the hoop is something that can stall the offense.

Caupain won't be around for late clock situations for the first time in any of these guys' careers. Evans needs to have the mindset of hitting shots over and over and over again. Get big in the moment. He's an experienced upperclassman now, who has more natural talent than anyone on the floor most of the time. If he can break through to a higher level, we're Top 10.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #35
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Really don't think Evans is passive. I think people want to put him in a spot that his game is not quite suited for yet. He really isn't the guy who I want the ball in his hands with the shot clock running down. Now if it is in the flow of the offense that is another thing. But as a guy like SK, he isn't that guy who is going to get to the rim or get fouled. This year that guy will be Broome. He will be your classic drive and dish point guard who will also run it up the floor. What will be interesting for me this year is can the older Cats who have played in a slow down set offense make the transition to a up tempo run always offense. Clark, Washington and others will be running at a pace they haven't seen at this point.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:07 AM   #36
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I actually think I want Cumberland with the ball on late clock possessions. He is fearless in those last few seconds
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #37
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I actually think I want Cumberland with the ball on late clock possessions. He is fearless in those last few seconds
I could agree with that but I really need to see him do it this year. Last year the defense was not looking for him and I feel he may have benefited from attention being applied elsewhere. I also want to see how he is coming along athleticly.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:27 AM   #38
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Update...

Evans...13.9
Clark...12.8
Washington...11.0
Cumberland...10.8
Broome...8.6

If Cronin keeps trying to get the ball to Gary and Jacob...it could be a two man race. Broome is out of the race. Washington and Cumberland are going to have to step up their game and start putting up some games in the 20's just to catch up.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #39
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Update...

Evans...13.9
Clark...12.8
Washington...11.0
Cumberland...10.8
Broome...8.6

If Cronin keeps trying to get the ball to Gary and Jacob...it could be a two man race. Broome is out of the race. Washington and Cumberland are going to have to step up their game and start putting up some games in the 20's just to catch up.
For me who leads in scoring is irrelevant. its about wins and having 4 guys in the line up that can all get a basket and require defensive attention is huge for our winning percentage. Having another capable scorer coming off the bench is another plus. To quote the late Al Davis. " Just win baby"
Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
For me who leads in scoring is irrelevant. its about wins and having 4 guys in the line up that can all get a basket and require defensive attention is huge for our winning percentage. Having another capable scorer coming off the bench is another plus. To quote the late Al Davis. " Just win baby"
Obviously winning is what everyone wants. This is just a fun stat to track (for some anyway).
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote