Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who would you red shirt?
Nsoseme 13 43.33%
Diarra 6 20.00%
T Moore 0 0%
Williams 1 3.33%
No red shirt 10 33.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2017, 11:29 AM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Williams is going to get a lot of minutes, he is going to be the primary back up for Cumberland and Evans he should get 20 mpg at least, both Cumberland and Evans could easily get into foul trouble.
Although there will be times...I don't think foul trouble with Evans will be an issue for the most part. Cumberland maybe.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
Take Williams off too. No way he redshirts. Id even be willing to take Moore off the list also.

Someone will be redshirted this year. money is on Nsoseme
Also, let's remember SK was a red shirt. Probably for two reasons.

1...we had guys who were slated for big minutes in front of him.

2...SK had a lot of potential that we didn't want to waste.

What a great decision that turned out to be.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Also, let's remember SK was a red shirt. Probably for two reasons.

1...we had guys who were slated for big minutes in front of him.

2...SK had a lot of potential that we didn't want to waste.

What a great decision that turned out to be.
I don't think we have the depth we need to red shirt a wing this year.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM   #14
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I don't think Diarra would've been recruited, nor would he have committed if a redshirt was a possibility. Scott hasn't earned anything so maybe he's the odd man out in the big man rotation. Good news is we'll play pretty fast and take the bad teams to the woodshed, so there will be chances for guys to make an impact.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I don't think Diarra would've been recruited, nor would he have committed if a redshirt was a possibility. Scott hasn't earned anything so maybe he's the odd man out in the big man rotation. Good news is we'll play pretty fast and take the bad teams to the woodshed, so there will be chances for guys to make an impact.
There aren't a lot of kids being recruited who think red shirt is what is going to happen. The bottom line is when they start practicing and playing and see the minutes they are likely to get. I don't think SK was thinking red shirt as old as he was. Sometimes redshirts just happen and it's a good decision for the team and the player.

I doubt coach starts talking redshirt until he gets to see them in practice and maybe a couple of early games. If he lets the kid know he has his best interest at heart (which I think Cronin is good at) I don't think there are any bad feelings associated with the decision. It's a player decision as I understand it. IF the player doesn't want to...that's ultimately on him. Coach isn't going to force the decision on anyone...but he can highly suggest it.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
As far as being the odd man out...someone is going to be. Maybe that is Scott who knows. We can't get all the bigs the minutes they want...it's impossible.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
There aren't a lot of kids being recruited who think red shirt is what is going to happen. The bottom line is when they start practicing and playing and see the minutes they are likely to get. I don't think SK was thinking red shirt as old as he was. Sometimes redshirts just happen and it's a good decision for the team and the player.

I doubt coach starts talking redshirt until he gets to see them in practice and maybe a couple of early games. If he lets the kid know he has his best interest at heart (which I think Cronin is good at) I don't think there are any bad feelings associated with the decision. It's a player decision as I understand it. IF the player doesn't want to...that's ultimately on him. Coach isn't going to force the decision on anyone...but he can highly suggest it.
Chad saw the new guys in person with the rest of the team, and he didn't see anyone who was obviously behind or in need of serious development skill or size wise. Diarra had very good college options. I doubt he'd be here if he didn't see a path for himself.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Chad saw the new guys in person with the rest of the team, and he didn't see anyone who was obviously behind or in need of serious development skill or size wise. Diarra had very good college options. I doubt he'd be here if he didn't see a path for himself.
I like Diarra a LOT! That is the only reason I think red shirt for him. It's my way of saying he has great potential. He's got Clark and Washington to play behind this year...and then only 5 others to compete with for remaining minutes or 6 if you include small ball. Freshman don't always pick things up right off the bat.

Last edited by waterhead; 07-18-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:56 PM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I like Diarra a LOT! That is the only reason I think red shirt for him. It's my way of saying he has great potential. He's got Clark and Washington to play behind this year...and then only 5 others to compete with for remaining minutes or 6 if you include small ball.
Next year he may be first or second in line for minutes at the 4. Why play just a few minutes this year if you can optimize your minutes when Clark and Washington are gone?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:57 PM   #20
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I like Diarra a LOT! That is the only reason I think red shirt for him. It's my way of saying he has great potential. He's got Clark and Washington to play behind this year...and then only 5 others to compete with for remaining minutes or 6 if you include small ball.
He's not competing with Brooks or Nsoseme. They're 5s only. We know that Quadri Moore will be a random spark who won't get major minutes if he's anything like he's been for 3 years. And I see no reason to put Scott over Diarra at this point in time.

It'll play itself out though.