Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-19-2017, 01:15 AM   #71
SMOOfan98

SMOOfan98 is on a distinguished road
I know it was a couple pages back, but I saw y'all mentioning pre-season rankings and I am up late tonight. I think UC is preseason number one in the league. I like WSU, but alot of hype around a team who didn't beat anyone last year. SMU or Cincy could have easily played UK that close on a good day as well.

An SMU perspective on pre-season AAC Rankings:

1) UC- Return your best two players Clark and Evans. Add Broome who is like McMurray for SMU a kid who is real quick and a real quality scorer. Cumberland is an improvement over Johnson and could have a breakout year. Y'all have tons of depth/experience, size, and play tough D. Really like the frosh Williams.

2) WSU- Could obviously win the league, but they didn't beat anyone last year. They got WAY TOO much hype from almost winning a game against UK. They are really good and return alot, but they aren't battle tested for going through a tougher league than the MVC. Shamet and McDuffie are legit players, but I could see them losing a surprise game or two on the road.

3) SMU- You can call me a homer, but we are still really talented and well coached. Once McMurray is eligible we will be real tough. Whitt, Foster and Agau are all top notch defenders. We will be loaded 1-3 and using Foster at the 4 quite a bit. Key will be if Agau (Grad-transfer) and Ray (averaged 10.3RPG on our foreign tour) can man the 5. I expect we finish 3rd no worse than 4th. 18-19 we should be competing for conference crown again.

4) UCF- I give them the nod over Temple because of defense. BJ Taylor is one of the best players in the conference and as long as the have Tacko they will be tough to score on. The added several real good transfers.

5) Temple- I really like Temple, but not sold on them defensively or that Obi will give them a true post presence. Shizz, Rose, Moore and Brown all in the backcourt could be deadly. They were not good last year despite having talent which is another reason I give the nod to UCF. The are older and return Brown, I think they are more talented than UCF, but not sure they finish ahead of them.

6) UH- Rob Gray can score, but they will miss Dotson. Devin Davis will be the key for UH. If he is real good in the post with Zanna the grad-transfer then UH could be real competitive, but I don't see them being able to replace Dotson's impact. Not a fan of Galen Robinson or Wes Van Beck, both liabilities on D.

7) UConn- If they make it through the season without an injury they might finish 5th or 6th, but their frontcourt is terrible and struggled last year the first few games when Larrier and Gilbert were both healthy. They will be better, but so will the AAC.

8) Tulsa- In a past year they might have been 5th, but the AAC is real deep 1-8 this year. I just don't think they have the talent outside of Etou to compete with the top 5 most nights. Taplin is a solid player too.

9) Memphis- Giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they could be 11th. They added some decent JuCo's, but JuCo's are hit or miss. Nickleberry and Johnson should be quality freshman for them. I also like Martin.

10) ECU- Barkley is the only reason I put them here. Lebo is the worst coach in the conference.

11) Tulane- They seem like they might win a few more games, but not many.

12) Terrible.

Last edited by SMOOfan98; 08-19-2017 at 01:18 AM.
SMOOfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:08 AM   #72
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOfan98 View Post
I know it was a couple pages back, but I saw y'all mentioning pre-season rankings and I am up late tonight. I think UC is preseason number one in the league. I like WSU, but alot of hype around a team who didn't beat anyone last year. SMU or Cincy could have easily played UK that close on a good day as well.

1) UC- Return your best two players Clark and Evans. Add Broome who is like McMurray for SMU a kid who is real quick and a real quality scorer. Cumberland is an improvement over Johnson and could have a breakout year. Y'all have tons of depth/experience, size, and play tough D. Really like the frosh Williams.

2) WSU- Could obviously win the league, but they didn't beat anyone last year. They got WAY TOO much hype from almost winning a game against UK. They are really good and return alot, but they aren't battle tested for going through a tougher league than the MVC. Shamet and McDuffie are legit players, but I could see them losing a surprise game or two on the road.

3) SMU- You can call me a homer, but we are still really talented and well coached. Once McMurray is eligible we will be real tough. Whitt, Foster and Agau are all top notch defenders. We will be loaded 1-3 and using Foster at the 4 quite a bit. Key will be if Agau (Grad-transfer) and Ray (averaged 10.3RPG on our foreign tour) can man the 5. I expect we finish 3rd no worse than 4th. 18-19 we should be competing for conference crown again.

4) UCF- I give them the nod over Temple because of defense. BJ Taylor is one of the best players in the conference and as long as the have Tacko they will be tough to score on. The added several real good transfers.

5) Temple- I really like Temple, but not sold on them defensively or that Obi will give them a true post presence. Shizz, Rose, Moore and Brown all in the backcourt could be deadly. They were not good last year despite having talent which is another reason I give the nod to UCF. The are older and return Brown, I think they are more talented than UCF, but not sure they finish ahead of them.

6) UH- Rob Gray can score, but they will miss Dotson. Devin Davis will be the key for UH. If he is real good in the post with Zanna the grad-transfer then UH could be real competitive, but I don't see them being able to replace Dotson's impact. Not a fan of Galen Robinson or Wes Van Beck, both liabilities on D.

7) UConn- If they make it through the season without an injury they might finish 5th or 6th, but their frontcourt is terrible and struggled last year the first few games when Larrier and Gilbert were both healthy. They will be better, but so will the AAC.

8) Tulsa- In a past year they might have been 5th, but the AAC is real deep 1-8 this year. I just don't think they have the talent outside of Etou to compete with the top 5 most nights. Taplin is a solid player too.

9) Memphis- Giving them the benefit of the doubt, but they could be 11th. They added some decent JuCo's, but JuCo's are hit or miss. Nickleberry and Johnson should be quality freshman for them. I also like Martin.

10) ECU- Barkley is the only reason I put them here. Lebo is the worst coach in the conference.

12) Terrible.
I think this is a fair outlook. I'd be ok with WSU being picked as a favorite over UC too. I don't think its wrong to predict UC will be the better team at the end of the day however. The Bearcats will have a team worthy of that confidence.

Really both teams played a soft schedule last year, but UC did win some big games, and did win 30. WSU brings back everyone, but UC only lost 2 and IMO its addition by subtraction.

If you glance at the preseason predictions all of them put a lot of weight on what we lost which is why IMO we are undervalued.

So thats fine, put UC at around 16, and put WSU at around 10-6.

Lets see how it plays out on the court. Can't wait till November.

EDIT:

The more I look at WSU's schedule and compare it to UC's last year and the overall outcome of the season, id say these teams will be very closely matched indeed.

Again I think the prediction gap is mostly the respect that Troy had with the writers, and the fact that WSU lost NO ONE in comparison.

Last edited by HExus; 08-19-2017 at 04:20 AM.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #73
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOfan98 View Post

12) Terrible.
Very nice breakdown. Thanks for sharing.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #74
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
SMU gets a boost for 18-19

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...igibility-ncaa
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 PM   #75
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

UConn scores a big pick up. Could be eligible for this upcoming season and would give them some much needed depth at the 3 spot.

basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/sidney-wilson-pledges-to-uconn
Old 09-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #76
jtsladder@aol.com

jtsladder@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
UConn scores a big pick up. Could be eligible for this upcoming season and would give them some much needed depth at the 3 spot.

basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/sidney-wilson-pledges-to-uconn
Ironic that St. John's was complaining of tampering. Which I'm sure UCONN did steal his kid
jtsladder@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 PM   #77
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Impact transfer Aubrey Dawkins out for the season for UCF.

Massive loss. He was a player who I thought would push UCF "over-the-top" into NCAA contender territory this season.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...030-story.html
Old 10-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #78
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Massive loss. He was a player who I thought would push UCF "over-the-top" into NCAA contender territory this season.

Feel bad for him. like us we have to stay healthy.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #79
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I thought there was a good possibility they would finish 3rd this year with Dawkins. Huge Loss
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #80
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Tulane beat LSU in an exhibition yesterday 84-74
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote