Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles

Old 01-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #111
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected1 View Post
He had one. Who stayed an extra year and guess what?? They went to the Final Four! That's my point. That one Five store put them over the top from a sweet sixteen team to a final four team! That's what we freaking need. Lol
What ? How can a one and done stay an extra year
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #112
GuyfromNKY

GuyfromNKY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected1 View Post
He had one. Who stayed an extra year and guess what?? They went to the Final Four! That's my point. That one Five store put them over the top from a sweet sixteen team to a final four team! That's what we freaking need. Lol
I had to look that one up. I had forgotten about Ebanks. I think he was originally recruited to IU but backed out. But only having the one helps prove that Huggins and Mick have a very similar recruiting philosiphy because you don't and won't see Huggs reeling in the 5 stars and one and dones.

Either way I agree with your general point in this post. Teams need the high four stars and five stars to advance in the tourney.
GuyfromNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #113
GuyfromNKY

GuyfromNKY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol I think we are using the term one and done very loosely. I take it as five star players. Like Jalen Brunson is a player you need to advance in the tournament but he isn't a one and done.
GuyfromNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #114
Protected1
Banned

Protected1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Easy he was a five star who was projected to go first round and decided not to go. Bridges for Mich state did it. It happens.
Protected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #115
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
apples and oranges. While I enjoyed Hug's teams he wasn't facing the same circumstances in the recruiting game that Mick does. Not even close. Maybe a few deep runs could create more exposure and help some but not being in a P-5 conference is a game changed.
Of course it’s different. It was 25 years ago. The whole landscape has changed. I think the same principle still applies. Only way we are getting these players is success in March.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #116
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
What do Bob Huggins and his teams have anything to do with Gaffney?
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #117
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Of course it’s different. It was 25 years ago. The whole landscape has changed. I think the same principle still applies. Only way we are getting these players is success in March.
The only way??? Getting into a better conference would do the trick.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #118
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Conference affiliation matters for budget. But I don't think it matters to the high school kids nearly as much as people think. I remember Nysier Brooks was on the radio show a while back and he said when he was a recruit he didn't even know what the conferences were. If we keep winning, we'll keep getting good players.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #119
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, not literally the only way.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #120
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Conference affiliation matters for budget. But I don't think it matters to the high school kids nearly as much as people think. I remember Nysier Brooks was on the radio show a while back and he said when he was a recruit he didn't even know what the conferences were. If we keep winning, we'll keep getting good players.
Jake I will refer you to Mr. Chad Brendel. He has make it clear on many occasions that conference affiliation is huge. If you chose not to value his opinion that is certainly your choice. As someone who has first hand knowledge of many things associated with recruiting I put a lot of weight on his information.

It's also not just conference it's sports apparel affiliation.

I'm not saying we can't get good players but it is a big impediment to landing players. Our success only goes to show how good our staff is at finding and developing players.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 01-19-2018 at 04:55 PM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote