Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 08-01-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
Nicholas.Gennaro

Nicholas.Gennaro is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bowl Game

This is my first year studying at (online) the University of Cincinnati. I picked this school over UMass Dartmouth (I'm from MA) because it'd be cool to cheer for a D1 sports program.

UC Football was awful last season but Luke Fickell looks like he's doing a halfway decent job with recruiting. My question is do we think UC can make a bowl game this year?
Nicholas.Gennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas.Gennaro View Post
This is my first year studying at (online) the University of Cincinnati. I picked this school over UMass Dartmouth (I'm from MA) because it'd be cool to cheer for a D1 sports program.

UC Football was awful last season but Luke Fickell looks like he's doing a halfway decent job with recruiting. My question is do we think UC can make a bowl game this year?
Hope they win six this year. Ever been to Cincinnati ? Welcome aboard.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
Nicholas.Gennaro

Nicholas.Gennaro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
Hope they win six this year. Ever been to Cincinnati ? Welcome aboard.
Thank you. Never been to CIN but my fiance has family out there so aside from my graduation I hope to be by the Campus more than once between now & then. I've also never really been into College Football so I'm excited to learn more. If you have any good websites/blogs for Cincinnati football let me know!
Nicholas.Gennaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas.Gennaro View Post

Obviously the recruiting has been excellent from a UC standpoint. His attention to detail, determination, and the way he put his staff together has me optimistic we won't be too bad from a sideline standpoint. He doesn't have to do it all.

It might take a year for him to get things figured out and for his recruiting style to start to pay off but I wouldn't put it past him to make a bowl game this year. It seems like he has thought through every facet of the plan thoroughly. Not a lot of stones left un-turned. He wants his team to be the best at every possible facet of the game that they can. He's very competitive and demands the same from the team.

There might be a few holes but if the team is disciplined (which it seems like they will be) and execute we should have a decent shot at it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I expect the defense to be the best in conference very soon. The question marks will probably come mostly on the offensive side. He may have to lean on his coaching staff a little more there.

If we can be disciplined on D and at special teams we will be off to a good start. Limit turnovers and penalties. Fewer dumb coaching decisions.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-02-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I expect the defense to be the best in conference very soon. The question marks will probably come mostly on the offensive side. He may have to lean on his coaching staff a little more there.

If we can be disciplined on D and at special teams we will be off to a good start. Limit turnovers and penalties. Fewer dumb coaching decisions.
I think the fans are stoked and will come to the games. I think he will do his part to get them there by getting out in the community and working the press and putting some pressure on the university to market the program better. His goals are lofty. There will be few details left unattended to. He's likeable and commands respect.

If he can be above average at coaching from the sideline we will be in very good shape.