Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2015 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
I think we struggle to finish above 4th in every big 5 except SEC. I still don't see why fans expect final four or bust like we really have talent. We only have 1 top 25 player at his position in country with no proven depth. We needed to land a homerun or two this spring. unless you have multiple lottery picks your not winning nothing with only 9-10 mediocre players on scholarships. Mormon and Lawrence would've put us in top 10 for this season with their talent.
You immensely overstate Mormon's talent. He does very little very well, which is probably why he ended up where he is now. Lawrence had talent but still hasn't put it together and who knows if he ever will.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:49 PM   #12
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
You immensely overstate Mormon's talent. He does very little very well, which is probably why he ended up where he is now. Lawrence had talent but still hasn't put it together and who knows if he ever will.
Mormon provided something team missing every championship has. His toughness, motor, and defense is an asset this team is currently lacking. Not to memention he was team best passer and slasher. Lawrence is a top 25 talent with right coaching is match up nightmare. Two long athletic players gone with basically no replacement.
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #13
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Recruiting in the Big East with a ton of playing time available early on, Mick landed one top 25 class and that was 2007. Not sure you'd see a huge increase in recruiting if we were in the ACC or Big 12. The staff seems pretty committed to their philosophy regardless of conference. Pretty disheartening if you ask me. We need new recruiting techniques which will come with some fresh blood (a former player like Van Exel would be a home run, IMO).
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:31 PM   #14
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Mormon provided something team missing every championship has. His toughness, motor, and defense is an asset this team is currently lacking. Not to memention he was team best passer and slasher. Lawrence is a top 25 talent with right coaching is match up nightmare. Two long athletic players gone with basically no replacement.
He on-ball defense was good, his team defense was terrible. Also, couldn't shoot worth a lick and had a terrible mid-range even though he thought he was Jordan. Mick has no problem recruiting tough players that have motors. That isn't this teams problem. They need scorers.

I wish Lawrence would have stayed. Though I think Ellis was a pretty good replacement.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #15
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
In the 2015 football class rankings, there are 0 schools in the Top 50 outside of the B10, B12, SEC, Pac12 and ACC.

In the 2015 basketball class rankings, there are 10 schools in the Top 50 outside of the B10, B12, SEC, Pac12 and ACC.
You don't think 80% of top 50 teams in 5 conferences is high? There are 32 D-1 conferences.

All I'm saying is recruits think about playing in empty gyms that Tulane, East Carolina, and Houston house. Those games are on ESPNews if they're lucky. There's a reason that often mediocre programs in power conferences out-recruit great programs outside it. They want to be on a national stage. The AAC generally does not provide that.

The fact that we were recruiting well in the late-2000s in the Big East while our program was falling apart is telling to me. Conference affiliation used to not matter to us because we were always top 15 and sold out every game. Not the case anymore, sadly.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm just not sure that the elite prospects would start to flock to the 340th ranked team in possessions per game just bc it's in a different conference..
Yeah Virginia and Wisconsin have never got a top 100 recruit in their history. We better hurry up and get that tempo up so all the recruits will run here cause that's totally the reason they don't!!!!!
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
You don't think 80% of top 50 teams in 5 conferences is high? There are 32 D-1 conferences.

All I'm saying is recruits think about playing in empty gyms that Tulane, East Carolina, and Houston house. Those games are on ESPNews if they're lucky. There's a reason that often mediocre programs in power conferences out-recruit great programs outside it. They want to be on a national stage. The AAC generally does not provide that.

The fact that we were recruiting well in the late-2000s in the Big East while our program was falling apart is telling to me. Conference affiliation used to not matter to us because we were always top 15 and sold out every game. Not the case anymore, sadly.
I don't think 80% is that high compared the 100% in football. It just seems like we should always be in the Top 10 in basketball recruiting for non-P5 schools.

You make a fair point about the empty gyms. I'm not sure that would be THE deciding factor for a recruit, but our bottom feeders are embarrassing. That game @Houston last year was just awful.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Yeah Virginia and Wisconsin have never got a top 100 recruit in their history. We better hurry up and get that tempo up so all the recruits will run here cause that's totally the reason they don't!!!!!
Scoring 49 at home against Tulane definitely wouldn't turn off any recruits...lol. Especially not the ones who will play in the NBA someday. Seriously though, Wisconsin scored 10+ more ppg than us this year. So if you wanna keep the pace and shoot 20 3s per game like them, we can talk about that.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #19
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Scoring 49 at home against Tulane definitely wouldn't turn off any recruits...lol. Especially not the ones who will play in the NBA someday. Seriously though, Wisconsin scored 10+ more ppg than us this year. So if you wanna keep the pace and shoot 20 3s per game like them, we can talk about that.
I'm not sure what any of what you just wrote has anything to do with my response to you. You said recruits won't want to go to a school ranked 340th in possessions. Yet they go to schools that play even slower. What you said just simply isn't true.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #20
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I'm not sure what any of what you just wrote has anything to do with my response to you. You said recruits won't want to go to a school ranked 340th in possessions. Yet they go to schools that play even slower. What you said just simply isn't true.
Our slow pace = 62 ppg
Wisconsin slow pace = 72 ppg

What Top 100 recruits has Virginia been bringing in?