Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 08-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #11
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Is it a rule to stand for the anthem? So if someone pays you enough money you should be willing to do anything he tells you. Really having trouble following your rational M64W. He makes a lot of money because he is a part of a industry that pays lots of money and he is part of a collective bargaining unit.
No, there is no NFL rule, but teams can have rules and coaches have rules. In the NFL, players get fined for not having their socks pulled up or not using clear tape to hold them up. If I was the coach or owner, I would cut him. No rule against that.
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:00 PM   #12
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
No, there is no NFL rule, but teams can have rules and coaches have rules. In the NFL, players get fined for not having their socks pulled up or not using clear tape to hold them up. If I was the coach or owner, I would cut him. No rule against that.
You would still have to deal with the contract issues and guranteed money he would be paid. He also may have a following around the league who agree with him. Teamates and other players around the league that agree with him may take issue with his situation. You cutting them as well? This is a very sensitive issue the league will need to be very careful in how they deal with this. Many are saying he has the right to not stand.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #13
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Anyone think this guys family will be standing up for the national anthem. He is one of 22 daily that takes this route.

http://www.nationofchange.org/2016/0...ied-treatment/
Old 08-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #14
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Anyone think this guys family will be standing up for the national anthem. He is one of 22 daily that takes this route.

http://www.nationofchange.org/2016/0...ied-treatment/
You're one of my favorite posters Waite and I generally agree with you on most issues. In this case, I'm a little off of your point of view. Just because he has the right to protest in this manner doesn't mean it's an appropriate response imo. He says he'll sit through the national anthem until America stands for what it's supposed to - equality for all.

Naturally I agree with that premise, but what if I think America should reform it's welfare system. Should I not stand and honor the flag? What if the guy next to me thinks Obamacare stinks. Should he not stand. And so on... Soon no one is standing because they think some portion of the American system isn't what it should be.

If Colin feels so strongly about this cause, he should add his voice an public platform to support one of the MANY existing groups rallying for his cause. If I think welfare reform is important, I could write my local representative to voice my concerns and join an existing group lobbying for this change.

The point is, Colin isn't pointing out some new or novel cause. He's simply trying to do something provocative to bring attention to himself. And how would it be if we went to the next Bearcats game and no one stood and recognized our national anthem - all for their own selfish causes which we wouldn't even understand.

I admit he has the right to do what he's doing and I have some sympathy for his cause, but I absolutely do not agree with or respect the manner in which he has chosen to make his feelings known.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Kaepernick can do whatever he wants. He should probably get better at playing QB though or he'll be out of a job.
Funny.....but I don't remember him having a problem with the USA when he was a starter and playing in the Super Bowl.....Pouting little brat now that he's been benched
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:25 PM   #16
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
He is ignorant and disrespectful. Stand and support the people who fought and died for our country (black, white, everyone). Hes doing nothing but making himself look stupid. Id cut his ass immediately. This oppressed country is where you are making millions. Stand up and stop being disrespectful and ignorant. And this shouldn't be news he is an absolute scub who cant even start over Blaine Gabbert.
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #17
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
If he feels that strongly he could always donate his salary to a cause... But no, sitting through the national anthem is more powerful.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #18
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
You're one of my favorite posters Waite and I generally agree with you on most issues. In this case, I'm a little off of your point of view. Just because he has the right to protest in this manner doesn't mean it's an appropriate response imo. He says he'll sit through the national anthem until America stands for what it's supposed to - equality for all.

Naturally I agree with that premise, but what if I think America should reform it's welfare system. Should I not stand and honor the flag? What if the guy next to me thinks Obamacare stinks. Should he not stand. And so on... Soon no one is standing because they think some portion of the American system isn't what it should be.

If Colin feels so strongly about this cause, he should add his voice an public platform to support one of the MANY existing groups rallying for his cause. If I think welfare reform is important, I could write my local representative to voice my concerns and join an existing group lobbying for this change.

The point is, Colin isn't pointing out some new or novel cause. He's simply trying to do something provocative to bring attention to himself. And how would it be if we went to the next Bearcats game and no one stood and recognized our national anthem - all for their own selfish causes which we wouldn't even understand.

I admit he has the right to do what he's doing and I have some sympathy for his cause, but I absolutely do not agree with or respect the manner in which he has chosen to make his feelings known.
i understand your concern but I have to disagree somewhat. His not standing has shed more light on his cause then anything done recently to my recollection. And he did it peacefully. Brother your certainly entitled to your beliefs but we need real change in this country. It's my opinion unless your well armed with the almighty dollar in this country your chances of creating change is slim to none.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #19
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Funny.....but I don't remember him having a problem with the USA when he was a starter and playing in the Super Bowl.....Pouting little brat now that he's been benched
Doug you really think this is about his playing status? We got judges in this country sending kids to prison for millions of dollars. You rarely ever see this in the press. Keeping beds full is profitable.

http://www.africanamerica.org/topic/...eens-to-prison

This is what he is talking about.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 08-29-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #20
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
If he feels that strongly he could always donate his salary to a cause... But no, sitting through the national anthem is more powerful.
He is donating. How many of his sponsors do you think will touch him now. You think he hasn't put his career at risk?