Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #91
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
Disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Hard to expect better than 16-2. But if that's what it takes, we need to find a way.
I think your being overly pessimistic here.

Could they lose 2 yes. But they could just as easily lose 0. The team will be better. The only question will be if the AAC gets better as a whole. I don't see it being that much different. Swap SMU with UCON. I don't think UCON recovers enough to pass the cats but I expect them to close the gap and play like the "UCON" we all know.

I doubt they will go from mediocre to passing a 30-6 team that looks to be better.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #92
HExus

On what we lose

I agree with the people saying that we shouldn't overlook what we lose in Troy and KJ.

I get that there will probably be a bit of a D slip here. But they were top 5. Its not going to kill them to slip a bit. I fully expect them to stay 15-10 which is fine.

We might lose some leadership, but we have guys that can fill that role easy. Cats won't lack experience in the lineup next year.

Troy took care of the ball. We know this. But like someone else said, he played conservative too. They were one of the best and not turning it over last year. That could slip.

But other than a marginal D dip, and turning the ball over a bit more (Thats worse case. I could see both of those being non factors) what else can you say we lost?

The O will be better. I don't think you could make a convincing case of that being false. You have guys that are looking to get more min like Cumberland who can score. Will likely get better, and you return 4 of your top 5 scorers. Your going to score points. You have more depth your going to keep fresh and score more points.

I COULD see this O stepping up into a respectable range to match the D a bit.

Worse case the loss of Troy and KJ cause the D to drop to around the 15 range nationally. The O stays the same because of leadership and ball handling. Turnovers goes way up.

So your looking at a team that is still top 25, but will probably be in and out of that range.

I don't think that is the case though.

They should finish this year in the top 25, and going into next year they should be at the very least considered a top 20 team.

There isn't any reason why this team can't be a top 10 team.

They can rebound, D, score, have depth.

If they fail it will be mostly intangibles imo.

On paper they are stacked.

Last edited by HExus; 03-20-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #93
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HExus View Post
I think your being overly pessimistic here.

Could they lose 2 yes. But they could just as easily lose 0. The team will be better. The only question will be if the AAC gets better as a whole. I don't see it being that much different. Swap SMU with UCON. I don't think UCON recovers enough to pass the cats but I expect them to close the gap and play like the "UCON" we all know.

I doubt they will go from mediocre to passing a 30-6 team that looks to be better.
I'm not being pessimistic at all. I'm just saying it's hard to expect to go 16-2 in any conference no matter what. You basically can't drop a single game that you shouldn't. And you most likely have to go undefeated at home. If Ojeleye goes back to SMU, they'll be tough again. I want to win the league. So I'm just saying if it takes 16-2 or better, we gotta find a way to make that happen. I'm not really projecting right now, just saying in general we have to do whatever it takes and be up for the challenge.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #94
HExus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm not being pessimistic at all. I'm just saying it's hard to expect to go 16-2 in any conference no matter what. You basically can't drop a single game that you shouldn't. And you most likely have to go undefeated at home. If Ojeleye goes back to SMU, they'll be tough again. I want to win the league. So I'm just saying if it takes 16-2 or better, we gotta find a way to make that happen. I'm not really projecting right now, just saying in general we have to do whatever it takes and be up for the challenge.
Agreed.

They need to will it.

That will come down to wanting it more. Coming to play every night.

I think it can be easy for a good team playing a bad schedule to take nights off. Thats how you get "UCF" games.

I can agree, its hard to go 18-0 in a conferences period. 1 off night can end it.

But they should be more clearly the fav next year. SMU won't be an easy out, and UCON should play well, but I don't think there is any question who SHOULD win the leauge. Remember the same could be said for those teams. They have to win the games they should too. SMU has a target on its back.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #95
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I appreciate everything our seniors have done and the effort they have given us for 4 years. Troy has been one of my favorite players and KJ has represented us well. However, next year will be the first time in 4 years where we won't be slow and methodical as opposed to fast and dynamic. I assume Broome will run point but even Jenifer will push tempo.

I don't think there is any way on Earth Cronin will be able to slow them down nor do I think he will want or attempt to. This will be the first year in Cronin's tenure where he will be forced to play guys who are all VERY good on the offensive side of the ball as opposed to guys who are good on D or a bottle neck on offense.

It will be a team that will be built for March success because we will have dynamic play makers on the perimeter. We can probably iso any of the 3 next year and expect a decent result. We will be solid on the interior once again.

We are picking up addition by subtraction. By many accounts our best player on the team hasn't played a single minute all year (Broome). Obviously Cumberland is going to be a HUGE step up at the 2 guard as well. No question in my mind...we will be significantly better.
WH , my issue with our guards is their height. Against top teams it comes into play. Troy was tall, and it made a difference. Also we don't have elite athletes (JEIII may be). Really need 1-2 to get out of the first round. I have no worries about a strong regular season.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #96
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see us play with more offensive assertiveness on the road next year. We only outscored conference opponents by 7.1 ppg while away from home this year. SMU on the otherhand outscored opponents by 12.3 ppg on the road.

The Temple, ECU, Tulsa, and UCF games were all very ugly for us and one more loss could've dropped us down another few seeds in the NCAA tournament.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #97
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
WH , my issue with our guards is their height. Against top teams it comes into play. Troy was tall, and it made a difference. Also we don't have elite athletes (JEIII may be). Really need 1-2 to get out of the first round. I have no worries about a strong regular season.
I mean to get out of the second round consistently. Can add having a good shooting team / not an off night. Even for the most part w/o injuries we had small margin for error.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #98
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I think it's easy to see who the alpha dog of this team is: Jarron Cumberland

There is nothing shy about him. He wants the ball. And as he gets older, he'll make smarter decisions.

I thought it was Evans.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM   #99
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think it's easy to see who the alpha dog of this team is: Jarron Cumberland

There is nothing shy about him. He wants the ball. And as he gets older, he'll make smarter decisions.

I thought it was Evans.
I agree. He's going to be fun to watch next year in a starting role
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #100
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
I assume you are talking about our point guards...and yes height is a factor. But having the ability to break someone down of the bounce is going to offset that height disadvantage. They will be quick and elusive. Also, Evans is the definition of an elite athlete. Cumberland has proven you don't have to be.

I just hope Evans can catch on a little from what Cumberland does and stop dribbling around so much and just make one or two dribble moves and go or just pop the open shot when it's there. He gets a little to cute with the ball and then has to pass it away too often.

All in all I think we have the ingredients next year to make a legit run.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote