Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #11
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Its simply not possible to go all out for a 48 min game 82 times a year and maybe 100 times including playoffs. Compare it to Nascar or long distance running. You don't sprint the whole time you pick your spots to push ahead and jockey for position.

Second with the defensive effort, yes players like Harden and Steph are liabilities but again their offensive talent outweighs their need on defense. Kerr does not want Steph blowing through his energy, risking collision/injury on the defensive end, or picking up fouls. That's what Klay and Draymond and the bench are for. Also I think people assume because the NBA has rules in place since the Steve Nash era to allow for more space on offense and couple that with the freakish offensive ability of every player to make a jump shot that there is no defense. There is defense and energy and effort but its exhibited differently and at a different pace then college ball. If an NBA team pressed and face guarded every possession they would get waxed.
Sorry but I watch a lot of NBA and I can definitively tell you there was no defense last night. The Cavs played zero defense at all. The Warriors mugged Cavalier players all night without calls. I don't fault them for doing it if the refs aren't going to call it. Last night was one of the most unwatchable Finals games I can remember in a LONG time. It was a boring game. I hope game 2 is a better played game than last night's game.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #12
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Sorry but I watch a lot of NBA and I can definitively tell you there was no defense last night. The Cavs played zero defense at all. The Warriors mugged Cavalier players all night without calls. I don't fault them for doing it if the refs aren't going to call it. Last night was one of the most unwatchable Finals games I can remember in a LONG time. It was a boring game. I hope game 2 is a better played game than last night's game.
Mugged.. lol. Cleveland played horribly. They were no match for golden states defense. If it was one of the most unwatchable finals games ever it was because of how lackluster Clevelands offense was, not because of the refs
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
There's a lot of reasons to like watching NBA games.

1. Little wasted action on offense. With a 24 second shot clock you can't do the whole stand at the top of the key and position players for 8 seconds before you get into your offense. The great teams just go right from transition to secondary breaks to their sets.

2. The "no defense" gets brought up all the time, albeit usually by people who never actually watch NBA games. My dad used to say the same thing, but now that he's retired and has more time to watch games he's probably watched more NBA games than I have the past two years and he's basically done a 180 on this topic.
It does have some merit in the regular season, but it's just not true during the playoffs. I think most fans just don't realize how good these guys are and how impossible it is to defend anyone. Couple that with teams getting progressively better at shooting ( and hunting the right shots- At rim, corner 3's, Paint and FTA's) and elite offenses like Golden State are virtually impossible to stop.

3. The regular season atmosphere at NBA games is definitely stale compared to a great college game, but we gotta make sure we're not thinking every college game is like UNC v Duke, or other rivalries. There are tons of shitty college venues with 3500 people in attendance. Just look at some of the random games in our league. Tulane @ South Fla is really riveting.

4. Defense is also harder to play with the defensive 3 second rule playing a huge role in opening the paint and making it harder to play true help defense like you can in college. Also, the shooters are just way better and you get punished more for helping.

5. ATO SLOB and BLOB are top notch compared to college.

6. Almost no one argues that college baseball or double A ball is better to watch than MLB. All things being equal I'd prefer to watch the best at a particular sport than what is basically minor league basketball.

Last edited by ervins84; 06-02-2017 at 09:46 PM.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #14
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
The no defense is real when you run away from Durant rather than stop the ball on the fast break. I will give you that usually defense is better in the playoffs (which is why I love NBA playoff basketball) but Cleveland couldn't have guarded a middle school team the other night. That was pathetic.

I still stand by my statement that the game was boring. I fell asleep at the end of the third quarter and I wasn't even tired. 😂
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
Bearcats1232002

Bearcats1232002 is on a distinguished road
I could never get into the NBA either. I have tried but usually lose interest by the end of the first quarter. I think the biggest reason is because I don't have a dog in the fight since Cinti doesn't have a team. They are insanely athletic and skilled but I would rather watch Tulane and South Florida then an NBA game.
Bearcats1232002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:32 PM   #16
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
The no defense is real when you run away from Durant rather than stop the ball on the fast break. I will give you that usually defense is better in the playoffs (which is why I love NBA playoff basketball) but Cleveland couldn't have guarded a middle school team the other night. That was pathetic.

I still stand by my statement that the game was boring. I fell asleep at the end of the third quarter and I wasn't even tired. 😂
That's mostly just JR being JR. Guy has to have one of the lowest basketball IQ's ever.

But you're right about that being awful defense. A group of us were watching at a bar and could only laugh at how pathetic that was. I'm still in disbelief of what he did there.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Poor Gordon Hayward. That was awful.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote