Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #2711
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Few random notes now that the regular season is over:

- 27-4 overall
- 18-0 at home
- 16-2 in AAC
- 7-2 on the road in AAC
- 15 game winning streak between Butler and SMU
- #20 Overall, #43 AdjO, #7 AdjD on KenPom
- Averaged 74.7 PPG and allowed 60.2 PPG
Top 50 offense and top 10 defense.

Good stuff.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #2712
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
I was looking through some preseason posts. A lot of pessimism mixed with guarded optimism.

I think justinhub was the closest prediction preseason.

They start at page 111 if you want to peruse.

I'll highlight a few others. Nothing meant by these - just interesting to go back and look at the predictions, concerns, etc.

We finished better than I believe anyone predicted.
Ha i was pretty close in terms of predicted W-L but I was way off when it came to predicting the actual wins and losses. However I would have never predicted UCONN was so bad.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #2713
Stats&Info
Banned

Stats&Info is on a distinguished road
Regular Season Summary Statistics:
Stats&Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #2714
Stats&Info
Banned

Stats&Info is on a distinguished road
Regular Season Player Stats:
Stats&Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #2715
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
My prediction was 26-5 in the beginning of the year. If that would have happened I would have been thrilled. The fact that we ended better than that is absolutely amazing. What a great year.

Outside of being undefeated and beating every team by 30, this season would have been perfect if we would have beat R.I. and then had the chance to play Duke. The loss that sucked the worst was UCF of course. I think it will benefit us in the long run though. That had to be an eye opener. I cant wait for these next two weekends.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #2716
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Undefeated at home and a missed dunk from potentially tying SMU for the conference championship (with a single conference loss) is a pretty damn good year! Obviously we would all like to get back the RI game and the UCF game but hopefully we learned a little from each.

Hopefully we can win the conference tourney and crack the top 4 seeds but we need to make the finals. I think we are one of the best 16 teams in the country the way Cumberland has been playing lately...especially on the road against UConn and UCF. He's scoring without the 3 ball...and that will be huge for us. He's creating for himself but making other players better as well.

Our D can absolutely lock down and when we can limit turnovers to single digits we will maximize the amount of possessions we can get as well as reduce the opponents extra possessions. Our turnovers and offensive rebounds will be a big key with our defense and because we have multiple options to score any given night.

I hope we get some decent matchups in the dance because I think we can go second week and beyond. Great regular season Bearcats...I'm proud!!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #2717
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
Top 50 offense and top 10 defense.

Good stuff.
We are #42 on Kenpom right now on offense and #7 on D. After watching us slide for a while it's nice to move up a little. I keep remembering a post someone made earlier that in the last decade or two no national champs had been rated lower than the following numbers...

Rated #22 or higher in both offense and defense (SMU is #13 and #24)

Rated #39 or higher in one category and top 10 in the other (UC #42 and #7)

I am not expecting a NC but it goes to show what type of team we have and how close we are getting to putting together a well rounded offensive and defensive team. This is the type of team that can perform in March.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #2718
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
As it stands now our toughest games according to KenPom would be...

Xavier would be the only home game I would be really concerned about.

We play 2 top 50 teams on the road. SMU and Houston.

3 more against top 100 on the road. UConn, temple, UCF.

I am hoping to beat X. Maybe split the top 50 road games. Then give us one more road loss. I could see a 27-4 scenario but I'm hoping it doesn't get worse than 26-5. As of now we should be favored in all remaining games. At some point we may not be clicking or we could run into a hot shooting team.
I am not sure if I had any preseason predictions but this was my stab I think around the Marshall game when we had 2 losses. I later adjusted the over under after many fans thought it was too optimistic. Either way the team hit the high water mark for me...and we ended with SMU being favored on the road when we played them. The team took care of every game "they should have" after that point except the UCF game.

Job well done!

Last edited by waterhead; 03-06-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #2719
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We are #42 on Kenpom right now on offense and #7 on D. After watching us slide for a while it's nice to move up a little. I keep remembering a post someone made earlier that in the last decade or two no national champs had been rated lower than the following numbers...

Rated #22 or higher in both offense and defense (SMU is #13 and #24)

Rated #39 or higher in one category and top 10 in the other (UC #42 and #7)

I am not expecting a NC but it goes to show what type of team we have and how close we are getting to putting together a well rounded offensive and defensive team. This is the type of team that can perform in March.
The stat I had heard was that KenPom started in 2002 and every NC has been Top 40 in AdjO and AdjD.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #2720
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
The stat I had heard was that KenPom started in 2002 and every NC has been Top 40 in AdjO and AdjD.
I think you are correct about the 2002 thing. And yes, both had to be in the top 40 for sure. But from what I recall there were two categories.

Both stats (offense and defense) ranked #22 or higher. But if one of them was ranked #23-#39 the other had to be top 10. I could be wrong...but that is what I remember. Maybe we could get some clarification from the original poster?

Either way, it would be nice to see our adjusted offense climb into the top 39 because I think we can maintain the top 10 D.

Not that this bit of trivia is fool proof...lol!