Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 9+ 8 32.00%
UC wins by 5-8 7 28.00%
UC wins by 1-4 8 32.00%
SMU wins 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #311
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Try this one...
Ha I mean SMU Coach and Players.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:20 AM   #312
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I agree on Evans but he is improving dramatically in the ability to get his own shot. he still does get to the rim enough for me but his pull up game is right there. If he could add some FT's to the stat sheet I would be thrilled.
If he could keep working on ball fakes, and Head fake, that would allow him more options. Picture the end of the Temple game.

Currently he can just jump up with his vertical to get a good look. If he can keep progressing look out.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #313
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
If he could keep working on ball fakes, and Head fake, that would allow him more options. Picture the end of the Temple game.

Currently he can just jump up with his vertical to get a good look. If he can keep progressing look out.
He has so much talent. He is getting there. Will be interesting to see how far he comes by the end of the year.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:25 AM   #314
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post

I love that he has become more aggressive. A couple of things I am a little concerned with is that he seems to opt for that pull up j when he makes a move to the lane. I would like him to get to the rack just a little more to draw some fouls. After a few more games the defense could figure out his tendency to settle for the jumper. With his height and jumping ability it's hard to block...but it's been done before. We need to get a bail out going if it's not there. We can have him try that jump shot and kick it out to the corner for a 3 or something like that.

I would also like to see us use Cane a little bit in these scenarios. He has more ability to separate than anyone on the team. He can get to the rack and draw a foul a lot better. He has a nice step back move for a 3 which Evans does not really have. He can also throw a lob in there if he gets a big defender to help. The kick out should always be there. His floater isn't bad. There are just more options with Cane it seems...but the biggest thing is he has to earn Cronin's trust in those situations...we cannot afford a turnover in crucial moments.

Evans is either going to pull up for a 3 or a mid range jumper. I trust him more not to turn it over and to make a shot...but there are more options with Cane in those late clock scenarios.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #315
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love that he has become more aggressive. A couple of things I am a little concerned with is that he seems to opt for that pull up j when he makes a move to the lane. I would like him to get to the rack just a little more to draw some fouls.
he doesn't have the first step to get to the rim, thats why he takes those jumpers. they are contested jumpers for the most part as well.

they honestly probably aren't shots he's going to hit with a high percentage. that game winner he hit vs temple is probably a 40% shot at best.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #316
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he doesn't have the first step to get to the rim, thats why he takes those jumpers. they are contested jumpers for the most part as well.

they honestly probably aren't shots he's going to hit with a high percentage. that game winner he hit vs temple is probably a 40% shot at best.
I agree with part B here but maybe not part A. Troy never had the quickness to get past his man going to the hoop but once the defender is beside him he just put his head down like Cumberland does or SK did and went all the way to the rack. Evans can do that same thing but he's not as comfortable finishing at the hoop through contact. You have to be able to use your body...you have to seek the contact and be the one delivering the contact so you can predict how it's going to affect the shot. You can't let the defender knock you off balance. You have to expect the contact so you can stay on balance. You have to move into it. This is not something that is hard to learn really...you just have to practice it. When you are both in the air the foul is going to be called on the defender...so put your body into the defender hard...and try to finish. Worst case is a couple of FT's.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #317
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I agree with part B here but maybe not part A. Troy never had the quickness to get past his man going to the hoop but once the defender is beside him he just put his head down like Cumberland does or SK did and went all the way to the rack. Evans can do that same thing but he's not as comfortable finishing at the hoop through contact. You have to be able to use your body...you have to seek the contact and be the one delivering the contact so you can predict how it's going to affect the shot. You can't let the defender knock you off balance. You have to expect the contact so you can stay on balance. You have to move into it. This is not something that is hard to learn really...you just have to practice it. When you are both in the air the foul is going to be called on the defender...so put your body into the defender hard...and try to finish. Worst case is a couple of FT's.
Troy, SK, and Cumberland are not quick. Evans is quicker than all of them. Those other three guys knew contact and body control close to the rim. Evans let's the defender dictate what happens at the rim...the other three dictate what happens at the rim. It's just basically leaning into the contact and expecting to get bumped back to level shoulders.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #318
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Troy, SK, and Cumberland are not quick. Evans is quicker than all of them. Those other three guys knew contact and body control close to the rim. Evans let's the defender dictate what happens at the rim...the other three dictate what happens at the rim. It's just basically leaning into the contact and expecting to get bumped back to level shoulders.
Caupain struggled around the rim. He got swatted a lot and him overdriving was why we were so bad in late clock situations for years. And Cumberland may be aggressive but he also gets blocked sometimes and picks up a zillion charges. I don't want Evans trying to force his way all the way in. He has enough touch that if he can rise up and get a clean look, I'll take that. Now 19 feet isn't ideal. But 12-17 is what I'd hope for.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #319
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Caupain struggled around the rim. He got swatted a lot and him overdriving was why we were so bad in late clock situations for years. And Cumberland may be aggressive but he also gets blocked sometimes and picks up a zillion charges. I don't want Evans trying to force his way all the way in. He has enough touch that if he can rise up and get a clean look, I'll take that. Now 19 feet isn't ideal. But 12-17 is what I'd hope for.
And if he keeps making those 12-17 at a good clip he will start drawing others away from under the basket and it will open up a passing lane for an easy layup
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #320
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree with part B here but maybe not part A. Troy never had the quickness to get past his man going to the hoop but once the defender is beside him he just put his head down like Cumberland does or SK did and went all the way to the rack. Evans can do that same thing but he's not as comfortable finishing at the hoop through contact.
you are talking about 3 guys with far different body types. they were all stronger players than what evans is. they used their strength to drive.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote