Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM   #281
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I’ve always said there is a middle ground. I question the people that say he can do no wrong. They blame the fans more than the coach. The fire mick crowd at least admits things he does well.
Who is doing this?
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #282
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
There's a very wide gap between "not as excited" and "blaming Mick for all of our problems". There is a middle ground, where fans can be less excited than they were in the 90's and feel that Mick is currently the best choice for the program. Fans can also measure success in different ways. Tournament struggles don't necessarily negate regular season success for everyone.
Well then what are we going to argue about?
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM   #283
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Who is doing this?
People are not blaming the conference, the players, assistance coaches, football, and fans? This isn’t happening?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #284
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
People are not blaming the conference, the players, assistance coaches, football, and fans? This isn’t happening?
It's interesting though that even those that want Mick out are giving the same excuses.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 PM   #285
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Huh? Your claim is that people are saying Mick can do no wrong. Spreading blame among many different factors is entirely different.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #286
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So you’re wondering why fans aren’t as excited about today’s team, as opposed to a team that went to 3 straight elite 8s, and 1 final 4, and were top 5 in the country for several years?
So we just making stuff up now
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #287
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
I’ve always said there is a middle ground. I question the people that say he can do no wrong. They blame the fans more than the coach. The fire mick crowd at least admits things he does well.
There shouldn't even be a fire Mick crowd, and I'll say this for the 20th time, I've constantly highlighted things he could do better. But if you want to pretend I'm calling him perfect, so be it. Huggins had way more talent and still neve got anything done in the tourney, besides his early years. And just because I said fan support today is worse than it used to be, does not mean that it's the only thing I believe is wrong. But it certainly doesn't help recruiting. And if you think they have to be at a game to understand how much fan support a team gets, you're wrong. They talk about it on Tv, they see it on ESPN. It's more than just having to be there (although that can be a huge experience). I think Mick needs to realize he needs help offensively, I don't think he has an offensive mind, and I don't expect him to develop one at 45 years old. But he certainly could make the decision to bring in someone who does. I think recently he has shifted his focus onto better offensive players instead of just great athletes who can defend, but he still has a long way to go. Mick is a top 5 defensive coach in the country. Name another coach top 5 in offense or defense you think we are getting today.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM   #288
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME80 View Post
It's interesting though that even those that want Mick out are giving the same excuses.
Right lol
Old 04-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #289
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Just thought this was interesting...

Frank Haith left Missouri for dead. Then they hired Kim Anderson, who lasted 3 years. They went 9-23, 10-21, and 8-24 in those 3 years. They had a combined 8-46 SEC record under Anderson. Cuonzo Martin came in and in year 1 got an 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament. And that was without Michael Porter Jr. for 30 games.

If we think it's a miracle that Cronin got us back in the tournament in 5 years, they should put up a Cuonzo Martin statue in Columbia.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #290
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just thought this was interesting...

Frank Haith left Missouri for dead. Then they hired Kim Anderson, who lasted 3 years. They went 9-23, 10-21, and 8-24 in those 3 years. They had a combined 8-46 SEC record under Anderson. Cuonzo Martin came in and in year 1 got an 8 seed in the NCAA Tournament. And that was without Michael Porter Jr. for 30 games.

If we think it's a miracle that Cronin got us back in the tournament in 5 years, they should put up a Cuonzo Martin statue in Columbia.
Obviously this doesn't mean Mick shouldn't get any credit. He's done the job year in and year out. Missouri could easily miss the tournament in upcoming years. So it's not that I don't appreciate the job he has done. But I just don't think it's good enough to make him untouchable and give him a job for life.

So for every time it gets mentioned that he brought us back from the dead, it's worth remembering that other coaches can do it too...and have. And recently.

This also shows that changes coaches doesn't have to be the end of the world, as long as you end up with a good one. They are now better off than they were under Haith, and probably even Mike Anderson (and obviously Kim Anderson).

People like to bring up the Pitt example for why you don't change coaches. But are we sure? Obviously Stallings flopped. And horribly. But that lasted just 2 years and now they have Capel in there giving it a go. They could very well still end up better off. So far, Dixon has made the tournament as a 6, but they lost right away. So for as bad as Stallings was, the fans (now that he's gone) probably don't feel like they're missing much. Obviously they hit a bump in the road. But as pointed out in this post, the right coach can turn things around very quickly. Even in bad situations.

Which brings me to this now. TCU was 6-48 in the Big 12 in the 3 years before Jamie Dixon got there. And within 2 years they got a 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Another coach who took over a terrible situation (with no tradition) and very quickly turned it around.

This stuff happens. All the time.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote