Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #1801
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Our last home loss was to Temple on Dec 29, 2015. It was also our last loss outside of Kenpom Tiers, which is the best way I know of to measure a "bad loss".
Ok gotcha. Makes sense. The road one doesn't qualify then.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #1802
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
You guys seem confused. We got swept by Temple that year and they won the league. The first loss was end of December 2015 at home. Then we lost by 2 in 2OT at Temple a couple weeks later. Are we saying one of these would be our last bad loss? I don't like Temple but they did go 14-4 in the league that year.
I am not confused I just don't know what their RPI was at the point we lost to them in Jan of 16. I would imagine if they won our conference they were not sub 100 RPI so it would not be a bad loss.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:39 AM   #1803
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

So the last time we lost at home was the last time we had a bad loss, and that was over 2 years ago.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #1804
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I am not confused I just don't know what their RPI was at the point we lost to them in Jan of 16. I would imagine if they won our conference they were not sub 100 RPI so it would not be a bad loss.
I just looked...Temple finished that season (2015-2016) at #63 RPI so it was not a bad loss.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:44 AM   #1805
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Things change when looking at RPI instead of Kenpom. Temple's RPI in 2015-16 was 69, so the home game against them was Group 2 by today's standards. Our worst loss would have been at Memphis (RPI 140) on Feb 6 2016, which would be a Group 3 loss today. So maybe that is our most recent bad loss.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #1806
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I just looked...Temple finished that season (2015-2016) at #63 RPI so it was not a bad loss.
It looks like Memphis was #138 and we lost to them on Feb 6 2016. WE can go two full calendar years without losing at home or a bad loss if we can make it until Feb 6.

Last edited by waterhead; 01-11-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #1807
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
This all shows why it's important to keep track of RPI even now. Memphis that year had a Kenpom of 75, so the road game was Tier A (same as Group 1). Definitely not a bad loss by that measure. But their RPI was 63 spots higher, making it a Group 3 game. Huge difference. It's absolutely arbitrary, but it's what the committee sees.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #1808
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It looks like Memphis was #138 and we lost to them on Feb 6 2016. WE can go two full calendar years without losing at home or a bad loss if we can make it until Feb 6.
I know no other teams can say that since we already have the longest home win streak...but to add the "no bad loss" variable...it just adds to the achievement. I guess when talking about making the dance for 7 years in a row we look like a very consistent team at the very worst.

Obviously we want more in March....but the other stuff is fun to talk about at the water cooler.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1809
waterhead
Senior Moderator

No home loss in over two calendar years. No sub 100 loss in almost 2 years (feb 6). 7 straight trips to the dance (almost assuredly 8). Something is being done right.

We just need that one last variable of winning a conference championship and/or getting to the Elite 8+ to get us over the last hump. We need to have that confidence and swagger to get it done. I know Kyle has it...I think Cane has it. We need Gary and Jacob to have it. They have done great so far (Gary and Jacob)...but we need that killer instinct again.

Intimidate, dominate, celebrate!! My favorite UC add campaign of all time!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1810
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I know no other teams can say that since we already have the longest home win streak...but to add the "no bad loss" variable...it just adds to the achievement. I guess when talking about making the dance for 7 years in a row we look like a very consistent team at the very worst.

Obviously we want more in March....but the other stuff is fun to talk about at the water cooler.
Yeah always nice to be able to drop jaw dropping stats that are positives.