Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #881
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatNation54 View Post
I want him to stay at Xavier. They will be mediocre for as long as he is there.
Agreed. Sean Miller, Thad Matta, Skip Prosser, and Pete Gillen were all very good coaches (although I hated all of them save for Skip). Chris Mack is very average... Outside of being a decent recruiter, he hasn't impressed me at all.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #882
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Agreed. Sean Miller, Thad Matta, Skip Prosser, and Pete Gillen were all very good coaches (although I hated all of them save for Skip). Chris Mack is very average... Outside of being a decent recruiter, he hasn't impressed me at all.
2 Sweet 16's in 4 NCAA appearances isn't bad. His problem has been maintaining stability on the roster...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #883
BearcatNation54

BearcatNation54 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
2 Sweet 16's in 4 NCAA appearances isn't bad. His problem has been maintaining stability on the roster...
Did all of his damage in the tourney with Miller's players.
BearcatNation54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:26 PM   #884
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
none with his own guys, road Miller's guys for those two seasons, but then last year with his own guys they made the CBI and couldn't even get in the real tournament(round of 64) this year. Mack is terrible, has no control of his teams thats why three of there best players have left or been forced to leave these past two season. Im glad he is staying
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #885
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Good news for 2015, there are several local sites for the NCAA tournament. I may actually be able to make a game for once...(assuming UC makes the tourney).

Louisville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte are all 1st round sites. The Midwest regional is in Cleveland and the Final Four is in Indianapolis. A lot of chances for the Cats!!
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #886
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Good news for 2015, there are several local sites for the NCAA tournament. I may actually be able to make a game for once...(assuming UC makes the tourney).

Louisville, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Charlotte are all 1st round sites. The Midwest regional is in Cleveland and the Final Four is in Indianapolis. A lot of chances for the Cats!!
Unfortunately to get good seats you have to buy tickets in advance to these sites and there's no way to know where the Cats might would play. UC only gets about 250 tickets to first round games and they will go to the high donors. Now depending what you're willing to pay, scalped seats will always be available.

Being we went so far this year, I was able to get tickets through the school as most fans were only wanting to go somewhere drivable. I sat fourth row behind the bench. Awesome seats. I would speculate maybe 50 to 60 or so UC fans were there and maybe half or over half were associated with the university. Ono was there (got my picture with him which he put on his twitter feed) the new AD was there, the interim AD was there. We actually sat next to the new AD's brother. He came up from Colorado to watch the game, assumingly because we had tickets to spare. The guy at the ticket office actually told me that they were getting alot of requests from local people (in Washington) for our allotment of tickets and based on the fact that some people were in the UC ticket will call line (they had seperate windows for each school) that had Gonzaga and Washington State gear on I would say they got some of our tickets. It was interesting to see how the ticket selection worked for each school. They seperate the weekend into 3 sessions. Day 1 had 2 sessions and the second day was the third session. Each session was two games and yes they did empty the arena between games 2 and 3 on the first day. Each school's seats were located behind the two benches and opposite the two benches. The two higher seeded teams fans got to sit behind their bench and the lower seeded teams across from their bench. I got to sit behind the UC bench obviously and then the second game we were behind the Delaware bench as Michigan State used the other bench. Had we won we would've been billed for Saturday's tickets and been sat accordingly. I was glad we didn't have to buy an all-sessions pass since we lost. I did kind of want to see all 4 games the first day but my wife didn't so it worked out for her I guess. Honestly after we lost I was kind of done with basketball so I don't know that I really would've wanted to watch four games. I did stay for most of the Michigan State game. The first half I was kind of in a comatose state after the loss. I stuck around as long as Delaware stayed in the game.

Spokane was a nice city, but it was so far away that no schools had a big following. I was hoping to get a better experience with all the different fans coming together. There unfortunately was very little fan experience. I've been to bowl games where it's great because you have thousands and thousands of fans there. I imagine Louisville or Columbus would offer a better mix of fans and thus a good atmosphere as the east coast is a lot more easier for fans to travel. I will say our trip wasn't a total bust because I got to see 3 new states (up to 47 now) and see a part of the country I might not have any reason to ever see. We rented a car and drove out to see some different stuff. I've learned when you travel for sports you have to make it a regular vacation rather than just going to see the game. That trip would've sucked if we had gone in and out and done nothing but watch the Cats lay an egg. Same for bowl games, I try to stay a few days and see the sights. I did the Orange Bowl and was in Miami for about 15 hours including sleeping time and it was miserable.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 04-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #887
Bearcat Rob
Elite Member

Bearcat Rob is on a distinguished road
Missouri's Frank haith has agreed to become the next Tulsa coach replacing Danny manning
Bearcat Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #888
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Rob View Post
Missouri's Frank haith has agreed to become the next Tulsa coach replacing Danny manning
I feel like it will work out well in the short term and be a disaster in the long term. Haith can win games, but he's made a mess at his last two stops.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #889
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Just saw on ESPN, the Lakers will try and court Kevin Ollie and of course Calipari for the head coaching job. I don't think either would happen, but you never know.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #890
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Just saw on ESPN, the Lakers will try and court Kevin Ollie and of course Calipari for the head coaching job. I don't think either would happen, but you never know.
Calipari tweeted today he isn't going anywhere. I'm sure Ollie would take the offer, but I don't see the Lakers picking him. I think he's a natural college coach. Great at holding players accountable and getting on them; something that's a lot tougher to do in the NBA. You can't really even yell at players.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote