Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #301
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I'm definitely not in a panic about the 2018 class. I actually wouldn't even say concerned. At all. BUT I am very anxious to see who we are narrowing our focus towards. Things have been quiet. Obviously we don't have a lot of scholarships to offer, and we're going to be a Top 15 team with a new arena in the works...so we are kind of in a different situation than the past. We can be VERY picky.

Having said that, I really like the Embery kid from what I've seen. And he's a UA guy. The 6'6" PG from WI is really intriguing as well.

However it turns out for the fall signing period, I do hope we keep a scholarship for the spring. We could be coming off of a very special season and the arena thing will no longer be in the distant future. It could be really easy to sell anyone from a grad transfer, transfer, guy looking for immediate PT, or someone like Diarra who was sold on a program with a coach on the hot seat. It really wouldn't be the end of the world if we had 2 scholarships available for the spring.

I like that we're trying to get the PG of the future taken care of first. Here's to hoping we start hearing about a couple visitors in the coming weeks.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #302
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

@TeamWallElite
Cincinnati reached out to Team Wall director Kendrick Williams about 2018 guard Jomaru Brown. #WallWay -INP https://t.co/f17Mn0Vmem

https://verbalcommits.com/players/jomaru-brown

https://youtu.be/swTYE37FFDc

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 08-08-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #303
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
We keep offering PG's which leads me to believe we aren't landing any of the guys we were in on early. A few have committed.

Let's put some pressure on our top guy and go after him.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:21 AM   #304
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We keep offering PG's which leads me to believe we aren't landing any of the guys we were in on early. A few have committed.

Let's put some pressure on our top guy and go after him.
That would be Tyler Harris. Let's hope we can get him on campus before he commits to Iowa State.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #305
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
That would be Tyler Harris. Let's hope we can get him on campus before he commits to Iowa State.
I watched Tyler Harris last night on ESPNU. Wow. I was really impressed. He can score, and he's extremely quick. He threw it off the backboard to himself at one point, he did miss the dunk barley but still looked sweet. He pulled up from Steph Curry range. He would be a great replacement for Cane, and might be able to shoot better than him.

I have a feeling that we might not think we can land him so we keep offering other guards. I really hope I'm wrong.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #306
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I like the idea of being "selective" until the point it backfires. We have had so many PG offers out there it doesn't seem all that selective to me. I think we are aiming high to start which is good but as the pool thins we may have to adjust strategy a little.

Maybe I am jumping the gun a little but I would like to get the ball rolling.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #307
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I like the idea of being "selective" until the point it backfires. We have had so many PG offers out there it doesn't seem all that selective to me. I think we are aiming high to start which is good but as the pool thins we may have to adjust strategy a little.

Maybe I am jumping the gun a little but I would like to get the ball rolling.
I definitely think you'd be jumping the gun if we're talking about anything backfiring. A PG is obviously important...but it is still early August. We don't HAVE to get someone for the fall signing period. It'd be nice. But it's not life and death. Plus, we still have offers out to quite a few guys who haven't trimmed their lists yet. We'll get visits lined up and we'll seal the deal on one of these guys.

Worst case, we have an incredible season and go into the spring still needing a PG. That could open the door for a transfer. We'll be fine. We still have 2 full seasons with the 2 PG we have. One of the benefits of a full roster is that you don't need to clamor for these recruits and get so high and low through the process. We're set up very nicely. There's a PG out there that will realize the opportunity ahead of them here.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #308
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Landing a top tier PG for '18 is going to be tough with 2 senior PG's
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #309
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Landing a top tier PG for '18 is going to be tough with 2 senior PG's
This could be a tough year for recruiting. I think we need a scoring big but the market is limited this year. I am thinking grad transfer but who knows.

Landing a PG or wing could also be tough when recruits consider "perceived" playing time. We have those starting positions potentially filled for 2 more years.

I don't envy Cronin but I hope we can capitalize on recent success and the new arena.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #310
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
This could be a tough year for recruiting. I think we need a scoring big but the market is limited this year. I am thinking grad transfer but who knows.

Landing a PG or wing could also be tough when recruits consider "perceived" playing time. We have those starting positions potentially filled for 2 more years.

I don't envy Cronin but I hope we can capitalize on recent success and the new arena.
For sure. I could see two options playing out if we don't get a top choice out of this '18 PG class..

1a) We land a talented transfer who sits '18 and will be ready to take over once Broome and Jennifer graduate.

1b) We wait and look at the '19 class and try to get a stud and sell the playing time right away.

My guess the 1a choice is more realistic.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote