Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

View Poll Results: How do you grade the Luke Fickell hire?
A 21 38.89%
B 22 40.74%
C 8 14.81%
D 0 0%
F 3 5.56%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAABearcat View Post
What is the impact on recruiting?
Not a good move when you don't have a Head couch until mid january
There's a dead period from this upcoming Monday through January 11th. I'm not very informed on how recruiting stuff works, but I'd imagine he can reach out to kids he already had in mind over the weekend?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XgradforUC View Post
I think it will have an immediate positive influence on recruiting, especially if the reports about Combs coming along are true. I think that we can assume that Coach Fickell will already have a pretty good idea who he wants on his staff, and that many of them will be familiar with recruiting targets that the coach will want to go after. Keep in mind that Fickell, as the DC at OSU, will have taken a strong role in the recruiting on that side of the ball, as should have Combs. If he now hires offensive staff that has the same familiarity with potential recruits, not having him in place until January shouldn't be a big problem.

I'm wondering if some Cincinnati/Ohio kids are now going to put UC into play, where they didn't before? I sure hope that is the case, and suspect that it is.

Also...since UC (unfortunately) is not having a bowl game to prepare for, the coaches that are on staff can spend all of their time evaluating talent and recruiting, rather than game prep.
On that last part, I think a lot of "Bowl prep" is essentially using extra practices for the kids who will still be around. Would be nice to have a bowl so they could get a look at the guys in a practice setting.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #23
AAABearcat

AAABearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
There's a dead period from this upcoming Monday through January 11th. I'm not very informed on how recruiting stuff works, but I'd imagine he can reach out to kids he already had in mind over the weekend?
No face to face or scouting at games: can telephone or write to potential recruits but can't watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools.
AAABearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:07 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAABearcat View Post
No face to face or scouting at games: can telephone or write to potential recruits but can't watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools.
Thanks.

That's not so bad. Is Coombs staying with Fickell or coming now? I just really wanna know who we get as OC.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #25
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Just watched the press conference. Have to say I was quite impressed with him. He's not the smooth talking, snake oil salesman, con man that Tubs is but you can hear the passion in his voice. I'm wiling to give him a chance.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:26 PM   #26
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Not much choice but to embrace the decision and get behind our new head coach! I will give full support and will be optimistic. Not much good can come now from harping about it... until he's been given a fair chance to succeed.
Well said, not my first choice but have to fully support him now. Let's hope that I'm very wrong about my initial analysis of this hire.

Early in the process I didn't hate the idea of Fickell, just liked other options better as the process got underway.

Go Cats.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #27
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Well said, not my first choice but have to fully support him now. Let's hope that I'm very wrong about my initial analysis of this hire.

Early in the process I didn't hate the idea of Fickell, just liked other options better as the process got underway.

Go Cats.
him strong and coombs was my top 3. football is all about recruiting. i know a projected 5 star cb at winton woods who absolutely loves coombs. already has offer from us and only in 9th grade. he want be here next year or year after next but as of now he's 95% coming to UC. He's also best of friends with 2-3 4-5 star guys on cass tech(all parents best of buddies with coombs) that really hate OSU but have nothing against UC. Point is UC should now out recruit every school in our region not named OSU, MICH or MICH ST. toledo, western michigan, bowling green, ky, loserville, purdue, indiana should not have better football players than us within next 2-3yrs
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #28
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
him strong and coombs was my top 3. football is all about recruiting. i know a projected 5 star cb at winton woods who absolutely loves coombs. already has offer from us and only in 9th grade. he want be here next year or year after next but as of now he's 95% coming to UC. He's also best of friends with 2-3 4-5 star guys on cass tech(all parents best of buddies with coombs) that really hate OSU but have nothing against UC. Point is UC should now out recruit every school in our region not named OSU, MICH or MICH ST. toledo, western michigan, bowling green, ky, loserville, purdue, indiana should not have better football players than us within next 2-3yrs
Coombs is staying at Ohio State. Urban just gave him a nice raise.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
WOW!!! no need for fickell then.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #30
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
im hearing coombs cant really talk until after bowl games. Tosu is best of best in football. they want coombs to basically continue to recruit until his contract runs out . after dead period is when we probably know what Tosu coaches coming to UC