Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #571
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
This is not a knock on the current team but if I am judging this based on entire career for former players and career to this point for current players, my team looks like this:

Vaughn
SK
Evans
Clark
Gates
I like the lineup for what they have given for a career. That being said Gates was solid but not excellent. Matching up their junior year I would think about taking Washington if looking at it for a single season just this year. Washington has to improve on D this year.
Per 40 minutes junior year...

Gates 17.2 points, 10 rebounds , 58% FT's, not much in three pointers

Washington 20.9 points, 11 rebounds, 70% FT, makes 3's.

Obviously Gates did not have a Gary Clark type player gobbling up rebounds or taking post scoring opportunities. There wasn't a big difference in blocks, turnovers, assists, and steals. I like Washington's leadership qualities as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #572
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I like the lineup for what they have given for a career. That being said Gates was solid but not excellent. Matching up their junior year I would think about taking Washington if looking at it for a single season just this year. Washington has to improve on D this year.
Per 40 minutes junior year...

Gates 17.2 points, 10 rebounds , 58% FT's, not much in three pointers

Washington 20.9 points, 11 rebounds, 70% FT, makes 3's.

Obviously Gates did not have a Gary Clark type player gobbling up rebounds or taking post scoring opportunities. There wasn't a big difference in blocks, turnovers, assists, and steals. I like Washington's leadership qualities as well.
Gates was in the Big East too. I'd take him over Washington as a 5.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #573
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
This is not a knock on the current team but if I am judging this based on entire career for former players and career to this point for current players, my team looks like this:

Vaughn
SK
Evans
Clark
Gates
I guess my point was. I don't have to argue too hard about Evans and Clark at their positions. One could make an argument that Washington over a 2 year stretch could be better than Gates best 2 year stretch.

I am not going to argue Cumberland is SK but I could see a SIMILAR career path. If he can get to 13-14 ppg this year he will be on SK pace and if he gets to 17ppg the following year he could leave for the NBA or return to dominate. It's too early.

As far as PG's...we have had some pretty good players (Vaugh, Wright, Caupain) but nothing I would call outstanding and I think we can find at least a pretty good player in Broome. Again, this one is WAAAYYY too early to call sight unseen but the hype is there for him.

We could have 5 starters who could rival (or at least come close) to Cronin's best at EACH POSITION!! Hard to imagine a much better scenario leading into a season without going back 15 plus years offensively. I'm just stoked and hopefully not looking at things too optimistically. Maybe I am who knows. Our bench has never been too deep with quality so I don't see a problem there.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #574
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Gates was in the Big East too. I'd take him over Washington as a 5.
I can see an argument either way....but either way I think we are in good shape here.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #575
waterhead
Senior Moderator

To be the leading scorer you are going to have to have a lot of games over 15 points and at least a handful over 20. Looking back at our starters this is how it looked last year.

Evans...15 games with 15+ points...6 games 20+
Washington...14...4
Cumberland...8...1
Clark...6...3

Broome (at Sacred Heart)...27...20...4 (over 30 points). Interesting about Cane is he averaged 25.2 in the second half of the season and 21 in first half. He was coming on strong. This is just FYI...he's not going to put up these numbers at UC obviously but he can score from anywhere and he gets to the line. Having the ball in his hands the most (and being aggressive by nature) will give him a shot to lead scoring. He shot over 200 FT's. The best on our team last year was Clark at 120. Again, it's a different level of competition.

Unless Clark has a massive change in approach he's not going to lead the team. The dynamics of the team will change so it's hard to predict who will benefit most. Evans will likely lead the team in minutes. If we push the pace it will be interesting to see how many minutes our bigs can log.

Last edited by waterhead; 07-11-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #576
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
To be the leading scorer you are going to have to have a lot of games over 15 points and at least a handful over 20. Looking back at our starters this is how it looked last year.

Evans...15 games with 15+ points...6 games 20+
Washington...14...4
Cumberland...8...1
Clark...6...3

Broome (at Sacred Heart)...27...20...4 (over 30 points). Interesting about Cane is he averaged 25.2 in the second half of the season and 21 in first half. He was coming on strong. This is just FYI...he's not going to put up these numbers at UC obviously but he can score from anywhere and he gets to the line. Having the ball in his hands the most (and being aggressive by nature) will give him a shot to lead scoring. He shot over 200 FT's. The best on our team last year was Clark at 120. Again, it's a different level of competition.

Unless Clark has a massive change in approach he's not going to lead the team. The dynamics of the team will change so it's hard to predict who will benefit most. Evans will likely lead the team in minutes. If we push the pace it will be interesting to see how many minutes our bigs can log.
Evans will be in the mix because he is a very good player and will log the most minutes.

Washington will be in the mix if he can stay on the court for 27.5 minutes per game because he likes to score.

Broome will have the ball in his hands the most and can score from anywhere, gets to the line, and is aggressive.

Cumberland, if he is aggressive with his touches and can log close to 30 minutes will also be in the mix.

Clark needs to be less selfish to even come close. I don't see him making that big of a change...but I certainly hope he is more aggressive with his touches.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #577
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

@CoachCroninUC
Coach Cronin can dunk too!! https://t.co/htl0Ty08Tb
Old 07-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #578
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

@CoachCroninUC
Bearcat Pool Party On Point!!@SCTopTen https://t.co/7vtF6VWabJ
Old 07-28-2017, 10:05 AM   #579
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I think we got a steal in Mamadou Diarra- 6'9(7'2 wingspan) up to 220, went under the radar because of injuries MCL and broke a bone in both hands which is why there is very little video of him. He has only been in the U.S. like 3 years.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #580
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
I think we got a steal in Mamadou Diarra- 6'9(7'2 wingspan) up to 220, went under the radar because of injuries MCL and broke a bone in both hands which is why there is very little video of him. He has only been in the U.S. like 3 years.
I really think we have a solid core to work with at the 4 and 5 spots next year. I would still like to see one more addition of a guy who can score (if there are any out there) but we have a good start. If we don't get an offensive guy I would think we might see more small ball than we have recently.

I also hope our current bunch can make strides with their skills.

I expect Brooks to man the post and Nsoseme is looking like he could be a beast with his work ethic and motor. I don't mind that he can't score a lot but if he can provide everything else we should be good to go.

It will be interesting to see who steps up at the 4 between Scott and Diarra. I don't think Diarra will be ready this year but by next year I hope we can see him develop into a starter. I think Diarra is going to have a better outside shot than Scott will unless Scott can add some loft.