UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Cavs in 6
I am going with this as well. Book it 😉

I am rooting for the Warriors though. I hate everything Cleveland.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Can't imagine Golden State ever going 2-4.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Warriors in 5.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
Do you guys watch much NBA? What do you find appealing about it? I'm honestly curious. I have a couple friends who are big NBA fans, but I've never understood the appeal.

I'll tune in to a handful of games each season, but I find it unwatchable most of the time. Granted, NBA players are insanely talented -- I'm absolutely impressed by their quickness, athleticism, shooting ability, etc.

But for most of the games there never seems to be any energy on the part of the players or the fans. If you have to play music during the game to make it entertaining, then something is wrong. Even baseball doesn't do that while the ball is in play. What drama and suspense there is in NBA games feels... manufactured. (Like rogue foul calls for star players or the ball-advancement rule on a timeout -- gimme a break.)

College bball is the exact opposite. There's passion from the players and fans. Games are hard-fought. Teams press! (Imagine that.) If a player plays garbage defense, his ass is on the bench. In the NBA, it makes him an All Star. (Seriously though, I can't remember a single college player that has blatantly given as few f**ks about defense as, say, James Harden. And every one of them gets paid $28.3 million less than him.) Sometimes the effort seems to drop dangerously close to Harlem Globetrotter levels.

Energy improves during the NBA playoffs, but so it also does in every league in every other sport. And just being engaging during playoff time isn't good enough.

I don't want to come off as ragging on the NBA. These are just some of my frustrations, because I'm a huge college bball fan and I wish the NBA delivered a brand of basketball that I find more exciting.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Miller193

Miller193 is on a distinguished road
Warriors in 6, this is a better team than last year.
Miller193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:45 PM   #8
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
cavs in 7. I think they are clicking well right now and love has been playing the best basketball of his Cleveland tenure recently. I am rooting Cleveland all day, can not stand the warriors, or their fans. They remind me of OSU fans.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
Do you guys watch much NBA? What do you find appealing about it? I'm honestly curious. I have a couple friends who are big NBA fans, but I've never understood the appeal.

I'll tune in to a handful of games each season, but I find it unwatchable most of the time. Granted, NBA players are insanely talented -- I'm absolutely impressed by their quickness, athleticism, shooting ability, etc.

But for most of the games there never seems to be any energy on the part of the players or the fans. If you have to play music during the game to make it entertaining, then something is wrong. Even baseball doesn't do that while the ball is in play. What drama and suspense there is in NBA games feels... manufactured. (Like rogue foul calls for star players or the ball-advancement rule on a timeout -- gimme a break.)

College bball is the exact opposite. There's passion from the players and fans. Games are hard-fought. Teams press! (Imagine that.) If a player plays garbage defense, his ass is on the bench. In the NBA, it makes him an All Star. (Seriously though, I can't remember a single college player that has blatantly given as few f**ks about defense as, say, James Harden. And every one of them gets paid $28.3 million less than him.) Sometimes the effort seems to drop dangerously close to Harlem Globetrotter levels.

Energy improves during the NBA playoffs, but so it also does in every league in every other sport. And just being engaging during playoff time isn't good enough.

I don't want to come off as ragging on the NBA. These are just some of my frustrations, because I'm a huge college bball fan and I wish the NBA delivered a brand of basketball that I find more exciting.
NBA action is FAN-tastic
Old 06-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #10
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post

Its simply not possible to go all out for a 48 min game 82 times a year and maybe 100 times including playoffs. Compare it to Nascar or long distance running. You don't sprint the whole time you pick your spots to push ahead and jockey for position.

Second with the defensive effort, yes players like Harden and Steph are liabilities but again their offensive talent outweighs their need on defense. Kerr does not want Steph blowing through his energy, risking collision/injury on the defensive end, or picking up fouls. That's what Klay and Draymond and the bench are for. Also I think people assume because the NBA has rules in place since the Steve Nash era to allow for more space on offense and couple that with the freakish offensive ability of every player to make a jump shot that there is no defense. There is defense and energy and effort but its exhibited differently and at a different pace then college ball. If an NBA team pressed and face guarded every possession they would get waxed.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote