Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 10-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #31
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
That beats putting our defense out there for 35+ minutes a game and giving up a million points. We aren't even the least bit competitive vs AAC teams. Throwing it 40 times per game at 53% completions has played a major role in that. It's not working. We have 3rd and long all game and it's not a coincidence that we converted just 25% of our 3rd downs last night.
Our RBs ran for 7 yards per carry against I believe the #2 run defense in the country. Our coach said our o-line is the most improved position group. We have shown zero interest in establishing any kind of running game. Maybe teams will start loading the box if we show we can run. I just don't see how that's a bad thing. That's how you create a balanced offense. A loaded box can open up play action and 1 on 1 situations without help over the top. Right now, we're incredibly one-dimensional. Our coach seems pleased with the line and I don't think anyone has been critical of Doaks or Warren in any way. They seem like better options than any other skill guys we have on that side of the ball. I say try getting them 20+ touches combined every game and see what happens. We just may be able to use that to open things up a tad and keep our defense off the field. And like I said, it sure as hell beats what we have going right now.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #32
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Our RBs ran for 7 yards per carry against I believe the #2 run defense in the country. Our coach said our o-line is the most improved position group. We have shown zero interest in establishing any kind of running game. Maybe teams will start loading the box if we show we can run. I just don't see how that's a bad thing. That's how you create a balanced offense. A loaded box can open up play action and 1 on 1 situations without help over the top. Right now, we're incredibly one-dimensional. Our coach seems pleased with the line and I don't think anyone has been critical of Doaks or Warren in any way. They seem like better options than any other skill guys we have on that side of the ball. I say try getting them 20+ touches combined every game and see what happens. We just may be able to use that to open things up a tad and keep our defense off the field. And like I said, it sure as hell beats what we have going right now.
I have no idea how he can be pleased with the line. While I'm under no illusion that Moore is a D1 QB he has taking a ton of hits from a group that has not protected or opened holes consistently. I guess my point is we aren't beating UCF,Navy, USF or Mich with this group. Run it or throw it we are not ready to compete at that level.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 10-15-2017 at 04:13 PM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #33
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I have no idea how he can be pleased with the line. While I'm under no illusion that Moore is a D1 QB he has taking a ton of hits from a group that has not protected or opened holes consistently.
Compared to every other position group, it's not so bad lol. We really haven't allowed that many sacks considering how often we drop back to pass. Trail took 2 late last night but those were even more obvious pin your ears back passing situations that normal.

Idk. I'm just going off what Fickell says and he sees these guys way more than I do. I just know that we are getting destroyed week in and week out and every week it looks the exact same.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I have no idea how he can be pleased with the line. While I'm under no illusion that Moore is a D1 QB he has taking a ton of hits from a group that has not protected or opened holes consistently. I guess my point is we aren't beating UCF,Navy, USF or Mich with this group. Run it or throw it we are not ready to compete at that level.
No we are not. But I'm just not sure what we're working towards. Our play calling resembles that of a team with a Pro Prospect QB. It's like we put the game on expert level and have decided to take 30 point beatings every week while hoping the current guys can eventually get up to that level. It's a waste of time. We have 5 games left and we're still drowning. And by missing a bowl, we'll miss the opportunity for 15 extra practices. That really sucks.

The way we're operating kind of reminds me of what I used to think of Cronin, where the players were forced to fit a very specific system, regardless of whether they're capable of it or not. Rather than trying to play to our strengths. We can debate how much of a strength some of this stuff is or isn't, but with the group we have, what we're doing right now gives us no chance. And I question the ability of any coaching staff if the only way they can have success is if everything is perfectly lined up for us. In order to get to a bowl with this group, or even to win 3+ games in the AAC, we need to start at Step 1 and work our way up. But unfortunately, the 60 minutes I see every week look the exact same and we are still completely lost.

Can we beat the top teams in the AAC right now? No we can not. Should we be getting closer? Yes we should. Should we still be getting rolled everytime we take the field? No. Bc by now we should've made the adjustments that give this particular group the best chance to win, instead of playing a style that may be more suited for the team 3 years from now. Jmo.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #35
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No we are not. But I'm just not sure what we're working towards. Our play calling resembles that of a team with a Pro Prospect QB. It's like we put the game on expert level and have decided to take 30 point beatings every week while hoping the current guys can eventually get up to that level. It's a waste of time. We have 5 games left and we're still drowning. And by missing a bowl, we'll miss the opportunity for 15 extra practices. That really sucks.

The way we're operating kind of reminds me of what I used to think of Cronin, where the players were forced to fit a very specific system, regardless of whether they're capable of it or not. Rather than trying to play to our strengths. We can debate how much of a strength some of this stuff is or isn't, but with the group we have, what we're doing right now gives us no chance. And I question the ability of any coaching staff if the only way they can have success is if everything is perfectly lined up for us. In order to get to a bowl with this group, or even to win 3+ games in the AAC, we need to start at Step 1 and work our way up. But unfortunately, the 60 minutes I see every week look the exact same and we are still completely lost.

Can we beat the top teams in the AAC right now? No we can not. Should we be getting closer? Yes we should. Should we still be getting rolled everytime we take the field? No. Bc by now we should've made the adjustments that give this particular group the best chance to win, instead of playing a style that may be more suited for the team 3 years from now. Jmo.
Jake I think the reality is we are just not very good. Trying to shorten the game by running to keep it closer is not the answer in my opinion. Implement your system then go find the players to make it work.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #36
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Jake I think the reality is we are just not very good. Trying to shorten the game by running to keep it closer is not the answer in my opinion. Implement your system then go find the players to make it work.
They better find the players quickly then. Bc asking fans to support/show up for beatdown after beatdown, especially considering what we've been through the last few years, is asking a lot. And the new coach recruiting bump won't last forever, especially if we get blown off the field by teams like Marshall and every AAC team.

I just don't ever believe in not doing what gives you the best chance today. The players we're "building the system" for aren't even here yet. And the more you lose, the less likely they are to ever come.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #37
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Waite the possession at the end of the 1st half perfectly sums up my frustration with the play calling. Not the pick 6 part, that was something else entirely.

But we got the ball on our own 35ish with about 1:30 left. First play, we chuck a low % pass 40 yards down the sideline. Incomplete. Obviously. And I have no problem with us throwing there of course, but why is that what we're doing? It's 16-3 at this point and we don't want them to have the ball back if we can help it. At minimum we should score if they get it back. So why not throw something in the middle of the field where the clock stops briefly if we complete it, but continues to tick after? A sideline bomb makes no sense in that situation. It had no chance. So now it's 2nd and 10...and we run a freaking QB draw for a loss of 3. Why did we do that? Well, bc the first down play screwed up our schedule so the idea of moving down the field was pretty much out the window. So just like that it's 3rd and 13 and we're done. Doaks gets 12 on the next play which put us short of the chains. We gave ourselves no chance bc we took a stupid, unnecessary risk on 1st down.

And again, what happened next was just awful by everyone. Charlie Strong is dumb bc he didn't use 1 of their 2 TOs to make us punt. And they were dumb again for going offsides. Then the pick 6. But none of that is the point here.

Point is, it doesn't matter what system we're trying to implement for years down the road. My issue has to do with that choice of play calling. And this example doesn't even have anything to do with running the ball. It's just not smart football and it drives me nuts.

So we can debate whether Hayden Moore dropping back 40+ times a game helps us 3 years from now or not. But some of the stupid stuff we're doing has nothing to do with that. It's stuff that shouldn't happen no matter who your personnel is. I mean, even USC is getting criticized this year for throwing too much, and they have Sam Darnold. We don't have anything close to that so I just don't see how these things can be defended.

Now I'm not freaking out and calling for jobs or anything close. I've said before that it's an absolute minimum of 3 full seasons before that would even come up. Bc we aren't in great shape bc of our old coach and we are in a total rebuild. I just worry when I see things that I don't believe are good ways to play even when you do have more talent down the road.