Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who takes the last shot?
Broome 3 11.11%
Washington 2 7.41%
Clark 2 7.41%
Evans 11 40.74%
Cumberland 5 18.52%
Team effort 4 14.81%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Who takes the last shot?

We have 5 guys in the starting lineup who can score. We lost Caupain who often found himself with the ball in his hands with the clock winding down for the last 2 seasons perhaps more than that. With the game on the line who do you want with the ball in their hands this year?

Broome will, by most accounts, be our most elusive player and did a good job of getting to the line at Sacred Heart. He can probably score in many different ways from a 3, to a pull up J, to getting to the bucket. If he's willing to make a smart pass...he could be the guy.

Washington has a reliable go to move in the paint with pretty good efficiency. With the right matchup he might be a decent option. Will he make a smart kick out pass though?

Clark can back a guy down and finish with efficiency and if it's not there he is more than willing to make the smart pass.

Evans is our most gifted athlete and leading scorer from last year. Perhaps a bit indecisive but has all the tools.

Cumberland showed his effectiveness at keeping his defender guessing with a 3 ball, a nasty pump fake and a killer running floater.

Team effort? Why put it in one guys hands if we can draw up a nice play to take advantage of a good matchup?

Other? Anyone else you would like to see with the ball in their hands in late game?

Last edited by waterhead; 08-22-2017 at 08:26 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
Nati lite

Nati lite is on a distinguished road
I think Evans will be our go to guy. Last year he hit some big shots for us especially against Marshall. He also led the comeback @Tulsa that led to Caupain's shot.
Nati lite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Cronin must be licking his chops as opposed to most years in terms of x's and o's. He has all kinds of options to draw up a last second play. I assume he will do just that...but when that play breaks down or we have to wing it because we don't have timeouts etc...we will have to put the ball in someone's hands. Usually that is going to be a guard who can create a little bit.

I tend to lean toward Cumberland right now. We have to get a reliable shot off and not risk turnovers in these scenarios. I am not sure how reckless Cane will be in these situations as of right now. Cumberland seems like a gamer. I would like to see Evans getting off any open looks that he can but I'm not sure he will be the best at creating the best look on his own.

I also don't mind Clark getting some touches in these scenarios but I prefer a guard getting most of them.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Broome with the ball -breaks his defender down -kickout to Evans or Cumberland- Clark and Washington crash the boards.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
Broome with the ball -breaks his defender down -kickout to Evans or Cumberland- Clark and Washington crash the boards.
I like it!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
No offense to Washington but definitely not him.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #7
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Could be someone different every time. I don't like the idea of having a firm answer on this and forcing it to be that player. We have enough guys that we can take whatever the defense gives us. Could be Broome breaking down the defense, could be Cumberland or Evans in iso. Could be Clark getting a paint touch. Heck, could be Trevor Moore shooting a 3.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
i know every time I can remember when Clark has the ball in the final 10 seconds he scores...
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
i know every time I can remember when Clark has the ball in the final 10 seconds he scores...
He usually does something good with the ball in these situations. The problem is can we get it to him in the right position when we need it to happen? If we can...I am all for doing that. He makes great decisions. If he has a single defender he can score if he gets doubled he makes the right pass.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He usually does something good with the ball in these situations. The problem is can we get it to him in the right position when we need it to happen? If we can...I am all for doing that. He makes great decisions. If he has a single defender he can score if he gets doubled he makes the right pass.
Why is that a problem?