Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Florida?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #501
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
yeah 2nd half he was on the wing and we were awful on offense. when he had the ball in his hands in the 1st half he single-handedly kept us in the game.

and nobody is going to have assists when we play like we did yesterday. the offense was give it to clark, evans, or cumberland and let them work solo for the possession. that gets nobody assists and its not good offense.
Yet everyone's answer is to give the ball to Broome and let him work solo and that somehow is good offense.....

Bottom line, this team just didn't execute yesterday. Clark has struggled cause D's are focused on stopping him. The rest of the team hasn't stepped up to make defenses sag off Clark. Going into the season you tell me Cumberland and Evans will get as many open looks and drives as they did yesterday and I'd like my chances to win any game on our schedule. But they aren't hitting open shots and the team as a whole has a turnover problem. While I agree Broome probably needs to be our starter, Jennifer starting isn't the reason we lost or are struggling, nor is Mick Cronin. The team as a whole has stunk the last two games. Giving Broome the ball and letting him go 1 on 5 isn't the answer and thinking he can create open looks with his ball skills is shortsighted imo. First, he hasn't shown he can do that and second, Evans, Cumberland and Clark aren't hitting open shots. So what's going to change? Yes Broome looks great when he comes off the bench and blows past the D a couple times. He's not going to do that for 40 minutes and defenses will adjust. We need Evans and Cumberland to be the players they are capable of. That frees up Clark and will make whatever pg look good running the offense.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #502
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
We were awful in the first half as well. We only scored 28 points.
yeah and broome had 9 of those despite not playing a lot. i think he's gonna grow on you as the season rolls along waite.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:38 PM   #503
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Yet everyone's answer is to give the ball to Broome and let him work solo and that somehow is good offense.....

Bottom line, this team just didn't execute yesterday. Clark has struggled cause D's are focused on stopping him. The rest of the team hasn't stepped up to make defenses sag off Clark. Going into the season you tell me Cumberland and Evans will get as many open looks and drives as they did yesterday and I'd like my chances to win any game on our schedule. But they aren't hitting open shots and the team as a whole has a turnover problem. While I agree Broome probably needs to be our starter, Jennifer starting isn't the reason we lost or are struggling, nor is Mick Cronin. The team as a whole has stunk the last two games. Giving Broome the ball and letting him go 1 on 5 isn't the answer and thinking he can create open looks with his ball skills is shortsighted imo. First, he hasn't shown he can do that and second, Evans, Cumberland and Clark aren't hitting open shots. So what's going to change? Yes Broome looks great when he comes off the bench and blows past the D a couple times. He's not going to do that for 40 minutes and defenses will adjust. We need Evans and Cumberland to be the players they are capable of. That frees up Clark and will make whatever pg look good running the offense.

i dont in any way want him playing 1v5. i want to use his skill set to force defenses to slide and help to stop his penetration. this opens up corner 3s and lay ups for others. and if they dont rotate and slide to him, he gets lay ups and free throws like yesterday.

and everything else i agree with, i just posted that a bit ago. the big 4 have been underwhelming. they all have to play better and i'd say all 4 of them have under performed the last 2 games.

we have a pg that can make it difficult on defenses. the same sort of pg that gives us fits. nobody is saying we want to watch him go 1v5 for 40 minutes. we just want him to run the offense like a quick and aggressive pg can.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #504
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
People saying cane is the issue have lost there minds.

Cane is a natural scorer and should be playing 80 percent of the time.

Our half court offense stinks. It has stunk for years. Micks philosophy on half court offense stinks. There are two solutions... change it. Or run, run, run, run.

Big games, mick is terrified to push tempo. At some point he needs to realize it.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #505
FTBearcats

FTBearcats is on a distinguished road
This is Mick Cronin basketball. It’s the same story year after year. This is a very talented team, top to bottom. Him taking out Keith Williams after one mistake and sitting him the rest of the game is a joke. Not saying he would’ve made the difference but that kills a players confidence. Especially a playmaker like Keith. It’s almost like Cronins teams play hesitant as to not make a mistake to feel the wrath of the short man. Which can lead to sloppy basketball which was the case yesterday.
FTBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #506
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yeah and broome had 9 of those despite not playing a lot. i think he's gonna grow on you as the season rolls along waite.
i like his game now. I'm just not sure he is who I want running the point. The issue I have is putting him at the point takes away from his strength rather then help him. Then I'm with many who have concerns about JJ. With each passing game I feel we really don't have the kind of PG to have the kind of season we all wanted and expected. A PG's job is to make everyone around him better and take care of the ball. Not sure we have that player on our team.

What I would do is start Evans at the point and Broome on the wing. Also think if Evans is going to be the player we want and need it may be necessary to force the ball in his hands

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 12-10-2017 at 12:56 PM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #507
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
i dont in any way want him playing 1v5. i want to use his skill set to force defenses to slide and help to stop his penetration. this opens up corner 3s and lay ups for others. and if they dont rotate and slide to him, he gets lay ups and free throws like yesterday.

and everything else i agree with, i just posted that a bit ago. the big 4 have been underwhelming. they all have to play better and i'd say all 4 of them have under performed the last 2 games.

we have a pg that can make it difficult on defenses. the same sort of pg that gives us fits. nobody is saying we want to watch him go 1v5 for 40 minutes. we just want him to run the offense like a quick and aggressive pg can.
I think you and others are assuming a lot in thinking Cane will produce like that. From his stats at Sacred Heart and what I have seen he is good at creating offense for himself, but not other players. On the other hand, I don't think Jenifer has excelled at either. So while I do think Broome should start, I don't think he's the type of player to dish to open players. He's small and loses the ball when trying to make a play and the defenses swarm to him. He didn't produce assists at Sacred Heart and I can pretty much assume they had guys on their roster capable of hitting open jumpers cause we've played enough low level teams that have capable and willing shooters.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:58 PM   #508
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

For the record I'm playing devils advocate here more than anything with Broome. I just don't think it's as simple as we have the next Chris Paul or someone on our bench and Mick Cronin is somehow too stupid to see it.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #509
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Washington and Evans... nine turnovers.... Game!
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #510
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
He didn't produce assists at Sacred Heart and I can pretty much assume they had guys on their roster capable of hitting open jumpers cause we've played enough low level teams that have capable and willing shooters.
its extremely easy to look this up. his team shot 31% from 3 his sophomore year, ranked 312.

25%, 29%, 35%, 33%, 28%. those are the 3 point %'s of the top 5 3 point shooters on that team that weren't broome.

so i wouldn't make that assumption.