Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
He hasn't won anything. There is reason for some to be critical. Being critical and being a "Mick hater" are two entirely different things.

When Mick wins big many of the reasons to criticize him go away.
See this is just crazy and hurts your argument. You can debate how much you would like to have...but not that you haven't gotten anything. The reason you are probably met with so much adversity is that you don't acknowledge what he has achieved...so that you can point out what he hasn't.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #62
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Do you realize how horrible UC would look if they fired Coach Cronin after this season? Why would any coach take this job if going 25-4, getting a Top 5 seed, and having the 2nd longest home winning streak in the country (among other things) isn't good enough?

If you don't actually believe he should be fired, you're trolling.

If you do actually believe he should be fired, you have zero credibility.

Your choice.
100%
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #63
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
See this is just crazy and hurts your argument. You can debate how much you would like to have...but not that you haven't gotten anything. The reason you are probably met with so much adversity is that you don't acknowledge what he has achieved...so that you can point out what he hasn't.
Very sound logic
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #64
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Do you realize how horrible UC would look if they fired Coach Cronin after this season? Why would any coach take this job if going 25-4, getting a Top 5 seed, and having the 2nd longest home winning streak in the country (among other things) isn't good enough?

If you don't actually believe he should be fired, you're trolling.

If you do actually believe he should be fired, you have zero credibility.

Your choice.
As much as I like NTS tourney content. I have to believe your post is accurate. I would also add to your post that Coach Cronin is not going anywhere in the near future unless it is his choice. The BOT understands your point.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 03-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM   #65
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
It's kind of funny that you can't criticize this coach who has never actually won anything without being labeled a "Mick hater".

I've given him credit where credit is due this season. This is a UC discussion board, Mick decided to elaborate when asked a simple question by the media. It came across to me as whining and excuses, to some of you it didn't. Seeing as how this is a UC discussion board I figured the group could discuss it.
Although you definitely lean to the negative in regards to our coach, I will say that I've seen you praise him and the team also when you felt it was warranted. My problem with this thread is that it's largely irrelevant. You think Mick was whining. Many others just think he was giving an honest answer. Why we needed a thread just to call him a whiner is beyond me.

There is another frequent poster on this site who I've never seen make any positive comment towards our coach. I can't recall one since I joined the site. The completely one-sided arguments are what frustrates me. Mick can certainly be criticized regarding many decisions that he makes. I'm fine with that. But to ignore and discount the strides this program has made under his direction is disrespectful to the program and it's fans imo. As others have said, that's trolling behavior and shouldn't be condoned on this site.

For what it's worth.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #66
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
Although you definitely lean to the negative in regards to our coach, I will say that I've seen you praise him and the team also when you felt it was warranted. My problem with this thread is that it's largely irrelevant. You think Mick was whining. Many others just think he was giving an honest answer. Why we needed a thread just to call him a whiner is beyond me.

There is another frequent poster on this site who I've never seen make any positive comment towards our coach. I can't recall one since I joined the site. The completely one-sided arguments are what frustrates me. Mick can certainly be criticized regarding many decisions that he makes. I'm fine with that. But to ignore and discount the strides this program has made under his direction is disrespectful to the program and it's fans imo. As others have said, that's trolling behavior and shouldn't be condoned on this site.

For what it's worth.
They reason I try to avoid criticism of coah is im not qualified to do the job he is doing. I try to grade his performance on my expectations. I also try to keep in mind the resources he has available and how he compares to others in our league. Jacob made a very good point to me awhile ago. We should be a dominating team in our league. I agree and think we have arrived there. The playing field in sports has changed and has continued to change. Building a top flight program using the parameters that are now in place is not easy. Mick does a good job all things considered
Old 03-02-2017, 11:28 AM   #67
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post

For what it's worth.
Like I said, I'm a mick guy, but him not winning anything is a fair argument. Regular season wins are great but he has only won one league title in however long he has been here. If he doesn't win anything this year or next, I do think that's a problem.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #68
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You really don't think they do this? Why wouldn't they?
Can't speak for NTS, but no I do not think they "rig" it or consider narratives or stories for matchups. If they did, it'd be a massive scandal and a huge deal and bad for business if it ever leaked.

The committee changes members all the time (not sure how often though) and if this ACTUALLY happened there wouldve probably been a smoking gun leak by now with the constant changing group. Someone would talk. Guaranteed.

They do consider geography and other principles referenced earlier. I don't agree with the methods the committee uses and I often disagree with their conclusions, but I don't think they are unethical and lying with regards to how the bracket is created.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #69
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Let me rephrase, anything that matters to me. He has won 1 conference regular season championship (tied for 1st) and zero conference tournaments. We have (1) sweet 16 appearance. So in actuality it isn't fair for me to say that he hasn't won anything, but IMO he definitely hasn't won enough.

He's clearly not he worst coach in the world and I think in the last few years he's made some great strides in recruiting. This season was a huge success IMO opinion but not winning the conference with this team is a let down. We were right there and we couldn't close it out and the recent trends in this team's play are cause for concern. I'm very excited about next year's team BTW and I have big expectations for what they can achieve. I just think there is a lot of room for improvement with coach and simply wanting more out of this program doesn't make someone a "Mick hater".

Mick's comments sounded like whining and excuses to me and I'm of the mindset that he has yet to deliver this program to it's full potential. I find it frustrating that Mick has tendency to always talk about how the deck is stacked against him rather than just get the job done and win championships. That was the reason for my thread.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #70
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Can't speak for NTS, but no I do not think they "rig" it or consider narratives or stories for matchups. If they did, it'd be a massive scandal and a huge deal and bad for business if it ever leaked.

The committee changes members all the time (not sure how often though) and if this ACTUALLY happened there wouldve probably been a smoking gun leak by now with the constant changing group. Someone would talk. Guaranteed.

They do consider geography and other principles referenced earlier. I don't agree with the methods the committee uses and I often disagree with their conclusions, but I don't think they are unethical and lying with regards to how the bracket is created.
We aren't talking about making a 1 seed a 7 seed, I (and mick) were talking about moving a team 1 seed line. If you don't believe they do this, okay. I can't prove it, but if you think the ncaa is ethical or worried about being ethical, that's a whole other issue
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote