Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Florida?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #91
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
So it basically goes like this...

1. Team RPI to start it off
2. # of quality wins
3. % of quality wins vs games played against them
4. Bad losses
5. SOS...especially OOC
6. Road and neutral wins or %
1. last year we were #12 I think
2. We had 3 top 50 and 3 more top 100 wins
3. We were 3-7 in top 50 and 3 of 4 in top 100
4. No bad losses
5. SOS non con was 167
6. We won 2 of 5 top 50 games (counting tourney which was on our team sheet) and 1 of 2 top 100. Otherwise perfect.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #92
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
The 2 games Florida played in under 70 possessions, they either lost or almost lost to mid majors.

I just hope we dont get arrogant and try to run with them.

They can't score in the half court, and Ill be really frustrated if we let them start running
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #93
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The 2 games Florida played in under 70 possessions, they either lost or almost lost to mid majors.

They can't score in the half court, and Ill be really frustrated if we let them start running
We have to execute and make shots. We can't let missed shots bother us. Staying out of transition defense situations is big in any game. But if a team is trying to get up and down we have to get into our matchups much more quickly than in the X game.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:40 AM   #94
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

Arrogant is a strange word to choose there. Is that what it is if you don't rock fight a perceived good team? I'm not saying we Loyola Marymount them, but we need to take our own chances when they present themselves I think.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #95
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don't think Cronin will ever be happy letting any team start running on us. At the same time I think we always want to push pace when we have the opportunity on our end...but most other teams aren't going to be willing to just let that happen either. When the break is not there it sounds like we need to pound the paint against this team. Which also means we will probably need to make some 3's. We have to have a better half court set game plan for when the break is not there. We didn't get that done against X.

If Kyle didn't get a serious message in the last game I'm not sure he will or can. His playing time could be in serious jeopardy. Obviously D is an issue but he also needs to get the ball closer to the block on offense rather than 10 feet out. That means he's going to have to put in the work to establish position. Gary can start from 10 feet out and back a man down and then decide if he is getting doubled or not. Kyle doesn't do that so I think he has to get position on the block to eliminate poor decisions. His shot is hard to block down there.

We also gotta figure out what to do with a guard who can penetrate or we will get exposed again. Maybe we don't switch as much and see if we can block or alter some shots. UCF with Tacko doesn't care if you come in the lane. I think I would have been happier in the X game if we let Goodin take some shots in the lane rather than kicking it out for open 3's. If we let small guards from FLA come into the lane I say let them take some shots...just alter them without fouling too much. I don't like switching and running around chasing the ball too much. We either get out of position for rebounds or we leave a man open for a 3. I would rather take my chances on a small guard making 40% of his shots in the paint than the alternative (40% from 3 and/or second chance rebounds). In the past we have had some shot blockers in the paint and we didn't mind inviting guards into the lane. We can block some shots...maybe not as good as some past UC teams...but we can block some shots.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #96
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Arrogant is a strange word to choose there. Is that what it is if you don't rock fight a perceived good team? I'm not saying we Loyola Marymount them, but we need to take our own chances when they present themselves I think.
For me being Arrogant would be thinking that because a team lost 3 in a row, that you can just play your style of basketball that beat Savannah State and Alabama State instead of following the trend of what got them beat the first 2 times.

I could care less about looking good in this game. I could care less about making it entertaining to watch and playing fast and all that. I want to win. The winning formula is making them execute against a half court defense and punking them in the paint.

Grind this team to a pulp because they aren't built for it. Trying to run up and down with them is how they beat Gonzaga and almost beat Duke.

If this game is in the 80's we lose.

I think one thing is clear. While we are much improved offensively, we are still not an offensive team. We aren't as good at playing fast like Xavier, Duke, Notre Dame, Wichita State, and others. We are 2nd or 3rd tier offensively. So lets take pride on what we know we can be elite at

Last edited by justinhub2003; 12-07-2017 at 10:55 AM.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #97
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
For me being Arrogant would be thinking that because a team lost 3 in a row, that you can just play your style of basketball that beat Savannah State and Alabama State instead of following the trend of what got them beat the first 2 times.

I could care less about looking good in this game. I could care less about making it entertaining to watch and playing fast and all that. I want to win. The winning formula is making them execute against a half court defense and punking them in the paint.

Grind this team to a pulp because they aren't built for it. Trying to run up and down with them is how they beat Gonzaga and almost beat Duke.

If this game is in the 80's we lose.

I think one thing is clear. While we are much improved offensively, we are still not an offensive team. We aren't as good at playing fast like Xavier, Duke, Notre Dame, Wichita State, and others. We are 2nd or 3rd tier offensively. So lets take pride on what we know we can be elite at
No one is saying to run up and down like we're playing Savannah St. Just to be clear. I don't even think anyone thinks this should be a game in the 80s.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #98
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

https://youtu.be/t-84W5fWy0w
Old 12-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #99
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

You don't stop a team from transition opportunities just by taking the air out of the ball. You can limit possessions and hold the score down, but you have to make shots yourself. We got a rude awakening there against X. We need to get whatever good looks we can, and take them however we can get them. I feel like this game is all about setting up our halfcourt defense, especially if we're playing zone.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #100
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Man, Tom Groeschen for the Enquirer is such a troll . I wish Mick would kick him out or just ignore any questions he has. That last question was he brought, of course he uses Xavier by example. He basically takes subtle jabs at UC on his twitter all season. Its obvious Mick cant stand him. Mick loved to point out Tom basically got a free vacation to the Cayman Islands and he definitely didnt deserve it.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote