Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Mississippi State?
Yes 21 84.00%
No 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
This game has tournament implications.

If the tourney happened we’d be on the outside looking in. Win this and we have at least 1 top 75 win. Win against ucla and we have 2. While that’s stil bad, it’s at least ok for 6-9 seed
We could have 3 more shots in the AAC at a top 10 win. We will play WSU twice in regular season and maybe once in tourney. If SMU continues to play well...they will get McMurray back and are currently #22 in Kenpom. That is 5 chances at column 1 wins and pretty high level wins at that. Temple and Houston are both top 50 Kenpom right now. They would have to slide 25 spots each to make the away games not column 1 wins. UCF is right on the line at 75 for a column 1 win away game.

That is potentially 8 more chances (outside of non conference) at column 1 wins...which is more than we had all last year INCLUDING OOC. Even if UCF slides out of top 75, SMU drops below top 30, and we don't get to play WSU 3 times...we will still have 5 chances in conference. That also assumes no other AAC team joins the top 75.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-11-2017 at 08:54 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #12
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This game has tournament implications.

If the tourney happened we’d be on the outside looking in. Win this and we have at least 1 top 75 win. Win against ucla and we have 2. While that’s stil bad, it’s at least ok for 6-9 seed
Lmao. Thank GOD we still have over 3 months and up to 25 more games before the tournament starts.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Definitely need this win in a big way,Need some positives going into conference play. Wouldn't be bad idea to slide Broome to the SG spot and let Evans bring ball up court. Especially in games he isn't being aggressive. Have to cut out silly turnovers. Plenty of opportunities in conference for great wins. Let's man these next two out of conference though. Build some confidence.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Lmao. Thank GOD we still have over 3 months and up to 25 more games before the tournament starts.
Why are so damn optimistic about a committee that has proven it has little to no respect for the AAC?

Literallly if we only beat Mississippi State it will be the worst shape we’ve ever been in in the non conference. A terrible SOS mixed with 1 top 100 win is bad. Sure we can make up some ground in the conference s season, but do you guys really really really really think that UC has a shot a even a 5 seed with 1 non conference top 100 win ?

And I meant if the tournament happened today. If it happened today we’d be out.

People keep talking about how bad the pac 12 and big 10 are and yet those leagues are better then ours, why do you think beating AAC teams will impress people?

This years season will depend on a Cinderella run. I’m fine with that. But it won’t be easy
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #15
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Why are so damn optimistic about a committee that has proven it has little to no respect for the AAC?

Literallly if we only beat Mississippi State it will be the worst shape we’ve ever been in in the non conference. A terrible SOS mixed with 1 top 100 win is bad. Sure we can make up some ground in the conference s season, but do you guys really really really really think that UC has a shot a even a 5 seed with 1 non conference top 100 win ?

People keep talking about how bad the pac 12 and big 10 are and yet those leagues are better then ours, why do you think beating AAC teams will impress people?

This years season will depend on a Cinderella run. I’m fine with that. But it won’t be easy
I'm not optimistic about the committee. I'm tired of reading the same posts every single day about our seeding when we still have several months left in the season. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely zero point in bringing up that we'd miss the tournament if it started on December 11. No point to that at all. Completely meaningless. We've all seen the breakdown 8 zillion times. We know what our opponents are ranked. All we can do is win the games on our schedule.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:16 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Don't you think it's important to realize we only had 3 games in conference to nab a column 1 win last year? SMU x 3? One of those was in tourney.

This year we could have WSU x3. SMU x 2. Houston and Temple away x 1. Maybe UCF away. Maybe even 1 more tourney game if we can face a top 50 neutral game in our first game.

It looks like (at worst) we are going to get twice as many shots at column 1 wins this year in conference (6-3) and at best maybe 3 times as many (9-3).
Old 12-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #17
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I’m generally an optimist about our team. Finding the good in even bad games. I’ve bitched about the schedule but not about the team.

That said, I’m really losing confidence in how good this team can be. Uber talented but badly constructed. Your best team on paper doesn’t always play like it and it happens all the time across the country.

I legit got frustrated when Brian snow and rick broering would say this team can’t be great with Jenifer. But they were right. He can’t play more than 10 min. And Cane Broome just may not be a winning PG, so we’re kinda out of options because Evans can’t create his own shot and on the ball he has no one to kick it out to him.

Even on defense the team looks bad. Cronin defenders usually move in unison and are cohesive, this is not that.

So based on what I see and what. I’ve seen from our conference foes, I’m not very confident we can just run through the AAC. 14-4 is a minimum .
Old 12-11-2017, 09:21 AM   #18
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Don't you think it's important to realize we only had 3 games in conference to nab a column 1 win last year? SMU x 3? One of those was in tourney.

This year we could have WSU x3. SMU x 2. Houston and Temple away x 1. Maybe UCF away. Maybe even 1 more tourney game if we can face a top 50 neutral game in our first game.

It looks like (at worst) we are going to get twice as many shots at column 1 wins this year in conference (6-3) and at best maybe 3 times as many (9-3).
Quit counting the AAC tourney. It has zero implications
Old 12-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #19
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

Your looking at this in a bubble. But we have to compare our wins to other teams in power leagues. Every single team in the SEC is in the top 100. Miss state has 1 top 100 win and yet they will get a chance at 18 top 100 and top 50 games in conference alone.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 AM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Quit counting the AAC tourney. It has zero implications
SMU tourney game was on our team sheet last year as a top 50 game. And if we win the tourney it will have implications no matter how small they might be.

So fine...let's eliminate the tourney games...what about the rest I just mentioned???