Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 3 5.45%
3 26 47.27%
4 15 27.27%
5 9 16.36%
6 2 3.64%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #381
sedziobs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 336
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
but didn't the committee show that they kinda just go by the overall group 1 and 2 wins and didn't really dig too far into where within the group they were?
1. Virginia 7-1, 5-1
2. Villanova 8-1, 5-1
3. Xavier 7-3, 7-0
4. Purdue 5-3, 6-1
5. Auburn 4-3, 5-0
6. Kansas 9-4, 5-1, 1 bad loss
7. Duke 4-4, 4-1
8. Cincinnati 4-2, 7-0
9. Clemson 4-4, 6-0
10. Texas Tech 4-3, 7-1
11. Michigan State 3-2, 5-1
12. North Carolina 7-5, 5-1, 1 bad loss
13. Tennessee 4-6, 5-0
14. Ohio State 2-4, 6-0, 1 bad loss
15. Arizona 3-3, 6-3
16. Oklahoma 6-5, 2-3

Hard to determine, but even from this list you can tell they didn't exclusively look at Group records. Duke is above Cincinnati, Clemson, and Texas Tech. Virginia is above Villanova. Those examples are clearly not in order of quadrant records, so some fine tuning was done. But the overall list shows that Group records are very important, which is why I concentrate so much on that. And on aggregate, I think its not such a bad system, especially for one that doesn't use scoring margin.

Edit: Revised our record to what it was on Saturday


Last edited by sedziobs; 02-12-2018 at 05:12 PM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #382
sedziobs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 336
sedziobs is on a distinguished road
On second thought, Jay Bilas is 100% correct because one of Xavier's quality wins is against Rider
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #383
ervins84
Elite Member
 
ervins84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 641
ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Anybody want to do a daily running list of teams that are around our seed line that we should be rooting against?

For example, is it better if Texas Tech or Oklahoma wins tonight?

Obviously we want Kansas, VA,Tenn, and MSU to lose.

Last edited by ervins84; 02-13-2018 at 07:54 PM.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:58 PM   #384
TheShoeFits
Senior Member
 
TheShoeFits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 363
TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Anybody want to do a daily running list of teams that are around our seed line that we should be rooting against?

For example, is it better if Texas Tech or Oklahoma wins tonight?

Obviously we want Kansas, VA,Tenn, and MSU to lose.
I'll take a stab at tonight's slate.

Seton Hall @ Xavier Xavier is -5.5 I'm rooting for SH

UK @ Auburn Auburn is -9.5 As much as it pains me to say it "Go Big Blue"

VT @ Duke Duke is -12 I'm rooting for VT

Clemson @ Florida State FSU is -4.5 I'm rooting for FSU

Villanova @ Providence Villanova is -9.5

This one is tough for me. A Villanova loss most likely moves eggs up in the AP and betters their chances at winning the conference. Also I think its virtually a lock that both Villanova and Virginia are 1 seeds. However, though unlikely, if Villanova starts to falter down the stretch and UC wins out, I could see UC slide into a 1 seed. Especially this year when 1-8 seems interchangeable.

Last edited by TheShoeFits; 02-14-2018 at 01:01 PM.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #385
Jon Rycek
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,183
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Clemson adds another loss to their resume. Should help us out
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #386
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,145
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Serious question here...

There are two teams that are at (or around) top 10 AdjD and AdjO in advanced metrics like Kenpom or T-rank. MSU and Purdue. I would like to avoid them for that reason.

But after that...what would you prefer? Playing a top rated D with a decent offense or playing a top rated offense with a decent defense? Historically I don't know who we do better against.

Do you want Villinova/Duke or do you want UVA/TTech. My initial thought is give me UVA or TTech.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #387
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,145
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Serious question here...

There are two teams that are at (or around) top 10 AdjD and AdjO in advanced metrics like Kenpom or T-rank. MSU and Purdue. I would like to avoid them for that reason.

But after that...what would you prefer? Playing a top rated D with a decent offense or playing a top rated offense with a decent defense? Historically I don't know who we do better against.

Do you want Villinova/Duke or do you want UVA/TTech. My initial thought is give me UVA or TTech.
I am talking about which bracket we want to be in here...
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #388
Jon Rycek
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,183
Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Serious question here...

There are two teams that are at (or around) top 10 AdjD and AdjO in advanced metrics like Kenpom or T-rank. MSU and Purdue. I would like to avoid them for that reason.

But after that...what would you prefer? Playing a top rated D with a decent offense or playing a top rated offense with a decent defense? Historically I don't know who we do better against.

Do you want Villinova/Duke or do you want UVA/TTech. My initial thought is give me UVA or TTech.
I feel like we have struggled against elite offensive teams in past years. But that could be different because our offense is better than usual this year. But in my Opinion I'd much rather play a Virginia or Texas tech.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #389
kskenyon4
Senior Member
 
kskenyon4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 306
kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Serious question here...

There are two teams that are at (or around) top 10 AdjD and AdjO in advanced metrics like Kenpom or T-rank. MSU and Purdue. I would like to avoid them for that reason.

But after that...what would you prefer? Playing a top rated D with a decent offense or playing a top rated offense with a decent defense? Historically I don't know who we do better against.

Do you want Villinova/Duke or do you want UVA/TTech. My initial thought is give me UVA or TTech.

I think beyond just the advanced stats, are the matchups.

Purdue poses a problem with their big men, and while I love Kyle's progression this year, he gives up deep position defensively way too often. That can spell disaster against 7 footers who are offensively inclined.

Michigan State I actually think poses one of the better matchups for us. Their PG isn't offensively superior at scoring, so I feel our pressure will help and he isn't looking to put the ball in the basket more so than normal. They have two good big guys, but they spread the floor and work well to defend with Gary/Kyle. Defensively, Cumberland and Evans would need to come up big, but I don't see a reason they shouldn't.

Villanova runs a ton of screens and odd action, with guards posting up, etc. It would be a great test of our defense, but if we really are one of the tops in the last decade, we can show it.

Duke, what can you say. They put up a ton of points and give up a ton, who wins the battle of how the games played?

UVA is a rock fight.

Last edited by kskenyon4; 02-15-2018 at 01:03 PM.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 PM   #390
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,145
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
I think beyond just the advanced stats, are the matchups.

Purdue poses a problem with their big men, and while I love Kyle's progression this year, he gives up deep position defensively way too often. That can spell disaster against 7 footers who are offensively inclined.

Michigan State I actually think poses one of the better matchups for us. Their PG isn't offensively superior at scoring, so I feel our pressure will help and he isn't looking to put the ball in the basket more so than normal. They have two good big guys, but they spread the floor and work well to defend with Gary/Kyle. Defensively, Cumberland and Evans would need to come up big, but I don't see a reason they shouldn't.

Villanova runs a ton of screens and odd action, with guards posting up, etc. It would be a great test of our defense, but if we really are one of the tops in the last decade, we can show it.

Duke, what can you say. They put up a ton of points and give up a ton, who wins the battle of how the games played?

UVA is a rock fight.
soooo....MSU?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.