Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
RPI

So every year around January a team's RPI and SOS really start to get scrutinized and argued over. And every year I always say the same thing that the RPI is flawed and I want to know how they go about getting their initial rankings, etc. If it is truly a computer generated ranking based on winning and losing as I understand it is then right now when everybody is 0-0 shouldn't everyone be tied for first in the RPI?

I never remember to check out rankings early in the year but today I did. The live-rpi that we have referenced on this site in years past is still showing last year's numbers, but if you go to the forecasted RPI it has rankings. They are forecasted rankings of course but seemingly would have to have a human element to them. I was fooled at first because there is a current RPI ranking for everybody but it seems evident to just be a ranking in alphabetical order after looking over all the teams. So maybe everybody is currently tied for 1st which I personally have always questioned.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

Thought this could be some good early season fodder for this board. I will try to keep an eye out on the actual rankings through the first few weeks to see how the rankings shape up. FWIW it is interesting to see UC is listed as having the 13th toughest non-conference schedule.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
So every year around January a team's RPI and SOS really start to get scrutinized and argued over. And every year I always say the same thing that the RPI is flawed and I want to know how they go about getting their initial rankings, etc. If it is truly a computer generated ranking based on winning and losing as I understand it is then right now when everybody is 0-0 shouldn't everyone be tied for first in the RPI?

I never remember to check out rankings early in the year but today I did. The live-rpi that we have referenced on this site in years past is still showing last year's numbers, but if you go to the forecasted RPI it has rankings. They are forecasted rankings of course but seemingly would have to have a human element to them. I was fooled at first because there is a current RPI ranking for everybody but it seems evident to just be a ranking in alphabetical order after looking over all the teams. So maybe everybody is currently tied for 1st which I personally have always questioned.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/live-rpi.html
http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

Thought this could be some good early season fodder for this board. I will try to keep an eye out on the actual rankings through the first few weeks to see how the rankings shape up. FWIW it is interesting to see UC is listed as having the 13th toughest non-conference schedule.
The RPI has no human element and there is no "preseason" ranking like the Sagarin or KenPom. However, those projections you see on live-rpi.com are based on the Sagarin...so there is a human element to those projections before any game has been played.

The RPI is not subjective like the BCS rankings were. This is the calculation for RPI:
.25*(your winning percentage) + .50* (opponent winning percentage) + .25* (opponent's opponent winning percentage)

In calculating your winning percentage there is a factor for road/home/neutral games so that number isn't the traditional winning percentage. For example if UC wins tonight but then loses their next game (both at home), their RPI winning percentage would be 0.6/1.4 = 0.428 rather than 0.500.

Last edited by Bearcat_NTS; 11-14-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
You know it's basketball time in Cincinnati when this annual thread comes round
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #4
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Just quickly checked Live-RPI, they forecast us to have the 5th best OOC SOS.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Just quickly checked Live-RPI, they forecast us to have the 5th best OOC SOS.
While a lot of the ooc schedule isn't big school sexy names, they mostly avoided the bottom feeders. Most of the " bad teams" we play like morehead, stony brook, midd Tenn, and NC Central are all competent teams. And while vcu and SD st aren't the traditional names some fans would want, they will have solid rankings in all the computers.

Overall I think they did a good job scheduling this year and hopefully the extra bottom feeders in the aac won't pull our rating down too much throughout the year.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Agreed with what you guys are saying. I'd take an OOC like this every year. We have plenty of big tests, but it's not overwhelmingly difficult. Gives the team 4 games to get used to each other against lower level (but not absolutely pathetic) opponents. Then come December, we get tested by some legitimate teams to prepare us for conference play. I really don't mind the AAC when it comes to basketball. Football on the other hand.....
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote