Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2017 Recruiting Profiles

View Poll Results: What should Coach Cronn do with the final scholarship?
Pocket it 7 16.67%
Grad Transfer 7 16.67%
Sit-out Transfer 16 38.10%
4 year player 7 16.67%
JUCO player 5 11.90%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #101
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just doesn't seem like we're in the running for any of the Top talent. I know we'll get players, just hoping the class isn't all diamond in the rough/Junior College players. I expect a solid 4* or a couple borderline Top 100 caiiber players in every class. Just not sure how long you can go without a Top 50 recruiting class and maintain a high level program.

The difference for the KU, Duke, etc is that they haven't been eliminated from the list on all the 5* players. We obviously don't have the same luxury.

*For someone who was so worried about a Tulane game (I don't even remember that) you are pretty relaxed about recruiting .
won't be easy finding solid 4* recruits willing to sit behind Washington, Clark, Broome, Cumberland and Evans.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #102
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
won't be easy finding solid 4* recruits willing to sit behind Washington, Clark, Broome, Cumberland and Evans.
Definitely not easy, but that's why our coach makes the big bucks. 3 of those 5 players have never played a single game as a Bearcat, so I hope they're good enough to be written in in pen. But even so, 4 of the 5 will be upperclassmen by the time any 2017 recruit becomes eligible. And Clark/Washington/Moore will all be SRs. Seems like learning behind them for 1 year, then having no one blocking you from taking over would be encouraging for the non-one and done caliber big men we may target.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #103
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Wonder if there's any shot at Malik Williams. I remember him unofficially visiting at least once. He'd be such a force down low.
That'd be great.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:28 PM   #104
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Definitely not easy, but that's why our coach makes the big bucks. 3 of those 5 players have never played a single game as a Bearcat, so I hope they're good enough to be written in in pen. But even so, 4 of the 5 will be upperclassmen by the time any 2017 recruit becomes eligible. And Clark/Washington/Moore will all be SRs. Seems like learning behind them for 1 year, then having no one blocking you from taking over would be encouraging for the non-one and done caliber big men we may target.
Adding Moore will be a good start. I also think you are going to be very surprised with what you see from Scott this year. The next two years should be good competitive basketball. Actually Jake when you recruit 4 year players it is always going to be tougher to recruit.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:47 PM   #105
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Just doesn't seem like we're in the running for any of the Top talent. I know we'll get players, just hoping the class isn't all diamond in the rough/Junior College players. I expect a solid 4* or a couple borderline Top 100 caiiber players in every class. Just not sure how long you can go without a Top 50 recruiting class and maintain a high level program.

The difference for the KU, Duke, etc is that they haven't been eliminated from the list on all the 5* players. We obviously don't have the same luxury.

*For someone who was so worried about a Tulane game (I don't even remember that) you are pretty relaxed about recruiting .

We dont need 5 star playrs to be successful. That school across town has never had one in there history i dont believe
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #106
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
We dont need 5 star playrs to be successful. That school across town has never had one in there history i dont believe
Never said we needed 5* players. The only reason I asked about concerns is bc we typically try to get in early on guys and rely on the relationship we've built over their HS careers. Not sure who those guys are in the 2017 class. We don't usually have a ton of luck just swooping in late and grabbing players. Evans is the closest example I can think of for that recently. So it's possible we can find ourselves in a situation like that again. Just not sure we can count on it.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #107
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Semaj was on some sites. I believe they had a McDonald's All-American back in the '90s too, but I can't recall the name.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #108
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the NCAA championship game last year every starter was a top 100 recruit, you don't need 5* but you need consistent top recruiting classes.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 06-28-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #109
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
In the NCAA championship game last year every starter was a top 100 recruit, you don't need 5* but you need consistent top recruiting classes.
Very true. I think about Nova last year. I think every player they had was either top 100 or 4 star recruit.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 PM   #110
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Just don't think recruiting ranking is the issue.

Comparing us to the team across town , we have 4x consensus 4 star recruits vs their 2x

But we tend to recruit guys who we know can defend and are athletic. They tend to go for shooting and then try to coach the defense to them.

We don't go after or at least get pure shooters very often. But maybe landing guys like Trevor Moore is a change in that philosophy.

Maybe we spend too much time coaching D and not enough shooting and that makes sense when we were rebuilding the program bc we were way out talented in the big east. But now, we're recruiting mostly 3 and 4 star guys. So while I always want UC to be tough and defensive minded, we now have the talent to focus on offensive flow. If just love too see the coaching stategy catch up with the recruiting to be honest. And I'm a mick Cronin damn, but if the offense is tough for him, then we need to start looking at getting a new assistant coach that is an excellent offensive minded coach.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote