Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #61
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Of course not but some of the teams in the AAC should be in the NEC (I’m joking). But I’m just saying you have to give a kid the opportunity that’s all.
Cane's usage rate is second on Cincinnati so far this year (23.5, same as SHU freshman year). So while on the floor, he gets his chance. While his minutes are 6th. When he committed, he knew Jenifer was on the roster, and more than likely didn't think the above would be any different.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #62
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Of course not but some of the teams in the AAC should be in the NEC (I’m joking). But I’m just saying you have to give a kid the opportunity that’s all.
Things are really going to start heating up down the stretch. We can win games against most teams with a player less than 100% sitting out or working back slowly until fully healthy. If Broome can get in a rhythm by the time we get to the @SMU, @Houston, and Wichita games, plus tournaments, he could easily be our X-Factor. His ability translates in March.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #63
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Is it a crazy idea to bring Keith Williams along as a backup PG for the Logan Johnson years? I'm not saying only be a backup PG, hopefully he'd be a starting wing. But he handles the ball pretty well and isn't someone we'd want taking a lot of outside shots. He can get into the teeth of the defense. His length would make him good on the ball defensively. I just don't know if he has that mentality though. He looks to get his a lot. Often to his detriment. It's hard to tell how his career is going to go. He needs to slow down. He wants it so bad. But he must learn how to play in the flow. It's looking like a big challenge at this point, but there is still a lot of hope for him. Hopefully Evans stays and it gives Williams another year to develop. But the thought of him bringing it up at times as an older player seemed interesting to me.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #64
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Is it a crazy idea to bring Keith Williams along as a backup PG for the Logan Johnson years? I'm not saying only be a backup PG, hopefully he'd be a starting wing. But he handles the ball pretty well and isn't someone we'd want taking a lot of outside shots. He can get into the teeth of the defense. His length would make him good on the ball defensively. I just don't know if he has that mentality though. He looks to get his a lot. Often to his detriment. It's hard to tell how his career is going to go. He needs to slow down. He wants it so bad. But he must learn how to play in the flow. It's looking like a big challenge at this point, but there is still a lot of hope for him. Hopefully Evans stays and it gives Williams another year to develop. But the thought of him bringing it up at times as an older player seemed interesting to me.
Some good thoughts Jacob. Over the years of watching our freshman play, I have notice a very common trait with them. They all settle for way more jump shots than anything else. Specifically in Keith's case, it's tough to watch at times because it's obvious his strength is getting to the rim. Even as a freshman you can tell he excels at that. Freshman in general I think struggle to find their game with limited playing time and the game adjustment of being on the floor with better players just seems like a recipe for settling for jumpers. Diarra falls into this category as well. I really hope Keith continues to grow this season and doesn't shy away from what his strengths are right now. Because his jump shot is not one right now.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #65
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Anyone else kind of relieved that T Moore and Nsoseme are making the bigger impact out of our FR? Williams and Diarra are both higher ceiling players in terms of athleticism, so I actually don't mind if it takes them a little longer. Bc for them, it's more about learning the flow of the game. But Moore and Nsoseme weren't nearly as highly rated, and I don't think Nsoseme was really even rated at all. So to see them make this transition removes any doubt about their ability to be contributing players at minimum. That's huge for us in the coming years.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #66
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Anyone else kind of relieved that T Moore and Nsoseme are making the bigger impact out of our FR? Williams and Diarra are both higher ceiling players in terms of athleticism, so I actually don't mind if it takes them a little longer. Bc for them, it's more about learning the flow of the game. But Moore and Nsoseme weren't nearly as highly rated, and I don't think Nsoseme was really even rated at all. So to see them make this transition removes any doubt about their ability to be contributing players at minimum. That's huge for us in the coming years.
Think about the flip side. I think we'd all be concerned if Moore and Nsoseme showed what Williams and Diarra have to this point. Bc they don't have the "prospect pedigree" to fall back on.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #67
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It was apparent even at the red and black scrimmage (I believe I commented about it at the time) that Moore and Nsoseme were more college ready players.

I remember fighting people when they were saying Williams was on the level of Evans and Cumberland as freshman.

Nsoseme never stops working and is pretty athletic and agile for his size. Moore is so serious all the time. When it’s game time he’ll run through a brick wall.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #68
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I like our backup bigs, I really do. It's just hard for me to phantom the thought of two of them being our starters next year. I know a lot can change from now until then including progression, but seeing what we have now and then switching it out for two of them hurts. We shall see how this unfolds but realistically I hope we get a JUCO or grad transfer.

Like someone has mentioned before we have had some good seasons where we haven't gotten offense out of bigs before. I just wish those days were over because having scorers like Gary and Kyle is the reason IMO that we are on a different level this and year last year than years past.

My prediction for next year is that Cane needs to be Cane. A 20+ scorer every night. I also truly think Evans will be gone.

Cane - Jennifer-Johnson
Cumberland - Moore
Williams
Scott - Mamoudou
Brooks - Eli

3 scollys left. I hope we save a scolly for a transfer though. I really love having a transfer come in.
We haven't talked about this a lot yet, but wouldn't that be a big leap for Williams. Could he make the big adjustment?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:30 PM   #69
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
It was apparent even at the red and black scrimmage (I believe I commented about it at the time) that Moore and Nsoseme were more college ready players.

I remember fighting people when they were saying Williams was on the level of Evans and Cumberland as freshman.

Nsoseme never stops working and is pretty athletic and agile for his size. Moore is so serious all the time. When it’s game time he’ll run through a brick wall.
When it's not game time next year, he and Logan Johnson will be having dance offs lol.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #70
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When it's not game time next year, he and Logan Johnson will be having dance offs lol.
Funny, he does have that football mind set on the court.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote