Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #1001
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatboy View Post
Cronin always goes with the senior to start but Cumberland will play more minutes a game than kj mark it down.
Making freshman earn their minutes with their play isn't a bad thing or a unusual practice. Many coaches subscribe to that thought process. Cumberland will see minutes at the 2 and 3. Getting him PT will not be a problem.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #1002
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Making freshman earn their minutes with their play isn't a bad thing or a unusual practice. Many coaches subscribe to that thought process. Cumberland will see minutes at the 2 and 3. Getting him PT will not be a problem.
Cumberland can play both 2-3 kj IMO can't, making Cumberland play more minutes overall.
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:44 PM   #1003
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcatboy View Post
Cumberland can play both 2-3 kj IMO can't, making Cumberland play more minutes overall.
In reallity they probably will be match each other in mpg. And that I'm fine with. Cumberland can play the 2 and 3 so he will be subbing for both kj and Evans.

I'm just saying from a starting perspective, it's KJ role until Cumberland takes it. And that pressure in my opinion wil make KJ better
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #1004
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
In reallity they probably will be match each other in mpg. And that I'm fine with. Cumberland can play the 2 and 3 so he will be subbing for both kj and Evans.

I'm just saying from a starting perspective, it's KJ role until Cumberland takes it. And that pressure in my opinion wil make KJ better
I just don't see what Johnson has done to earn it himself.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:01 PM   #1005
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Be a 4th year player in the program that "bleeds red and black." Mick still believes senior guards win games like its the mid-90's.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #1006
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sadly, because he's a senior and is a "great Bearcat." Which is all opinion and I am not sure if I am 100% in agreement with that.

My thoughts are that if Cumberland hasn't been proving himself during these early summer workouts, and then the early season practices, then he won't start. If UC has another intra-squad scrimmage like last season ( I sure as hell hope so) and Cumberland has a great game and looks like he can defend well enough, then I will say he deserves minutes. But if he looks slow and out of position on D then he won't start and it will take longer for him to earn those minutes. We will sadly just have to wait and see how he plays. The season can't start soon enough!
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #1007
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
using your logic what have you seen Cumberland do?
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:25 PM   #1008
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
using your logic what have you seen Cumberland do?
The problem is that there is literally nothing Cumberland can do. You're right, he hasn't done anything yet. But freshman start all the time in D1 basketball. It won't take much to show he's the better player. We'll have the chance to see for ourselves soon enough. But I'd put my money on Cumberland over Johnson in pretty much every stat this year in per 40/minutes.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:38 PM   #1009
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The problem is that there is literally nothing Cumberland can do. You're right, he hasn't done anything yet. But freshman start all the time in D1 basketball. It won't take much to show he's the better player. We'll have the chance to see for ourselves soon enough. But I'd put my money on Cumberland over Johnson in pretty much every stat this year in per 40/minutes.
I think he will too. The only question on Cumberland in my mind is whether or not he can adapt fast enough defensively to D1 athletes and Mick's defensive scheme. If his defense can be average for a D1 wing, he'll supplant KJ by the time February comes around. However, if the defense isn't up to Mick's minimum standards, he'll struggle to stay on the floor.

We'll all find out soon enough. We're best served if Cumberland can earn the majority of the minutes at the 2 towards the end of the season. I like KJ, but I'm rooting for Cumberland to earn the minutes and have KJ coming off the bench.

Go Cats!
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #1010
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
If kj came off the bench our reserves wouldn't have a single scorer in the game.
Jj can't score , Tre Scott who knows, prob not Brooks, quad will shoot but won't score so if we add kj to the bench we have a bunch of guys who can't shoot.

But if kj starts then Cumberland is our scorer off the bench. We dint need kj to score in the starting line up. Just play d
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote