Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #1
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Season over - no bowl

Gotta call it like I see it.
Next 3 games = massive beatdowns - USF, UCF, SMU - all vastly superior teams

At 2-6, and probably a few banged up players after aforementioned beatdowns, what are the odds of winning 4 straight....? Nil

Hope the recruiting is as good as it has seemed...Fickell has his work cut out for him

Future looks brighter...it has to
Thanks to all the powers that be that Bearcat basketball season is on the way

With the suckiness of the Reds, Bungles & football Cats, Cincinnati needs a winner (I guess FC Cincinnati fans feel ok)....& there's always high school, but jeez!

Oh, I forgot...does beating Austin Peay even count?
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Gotta call it like I see it.
Next 3 games = massive beatdowns - USF, UCF, SMU - all vastly superior teams

At 2-6, and probably a few banged up players after aforementioned beatdowns, what are the odds of winning 4 straight....? Nil

Hope the recruiting is as good as it has seemed...Fickell has his work cut out for him

Future looks brighter...it has to
Thanks to all the powers that be that Bearcat basketball season is on the way

With the suckiness of the Reds, Bungles & football Cats, Cincinnati needs a winner (I guess FC Cincinnati fans feel ok)....& there's always high school, but jeez!

Oh, I forgot...does beating Austin Peay even count?
Yeah FCS wins count.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #3
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Fickell seems a tad overwhelmed. Not that that's abnormal for the situation. But he commented of how much is going on during the game as a head coach. That kind of makes me nervous bc we have seen some snafus and overthinking. We had the 4th down last week that we weren't supposed to snap but did. And last night we wanted to do a sky kick on a kickoff to give them a different look. Why do that? Just blast it deep. That kind of thing shouldn't be what he's worried about imo. At least not right now.

I was telling Chad on Twitter that I think we're having a bit of an identity crisis. And by crisis, I don't actually mean crisis. Just trying to figure out who we are. Last week at Navy we had success passing, so it felt like this week we wanted that to be our identity. And it led to 3 and outs, no running game, and our defense being on the field the entire first half. We need to figure out who we are. We have 3 RBs with talent (depending on Boone's health), I'd like to see us approach the rest of this year as Coach Cronin used to do when he had lesser talent. Run the ball, run the clock, shorten the game. Operate at the base level. Might be boring but it at least slow things down for our guys who may be at a talent and experience disadvantage.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
To be honest it is a shame on how far this program has fallen
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Fickell seems a tad overwhelmed. Not that that's abnormal for the situation. But he commented of how much is going on during the game as a head coach. That kind of makes me nervous bc we have seen some snafus and overthinking. We had the 4th down last week that we weren't supposed to snap but did. And last night we wanted to do a sky kick on a kickoff to give them a different look. Why do that? Just blast it deep. That kind of thing shouldn't be what he's worried about imo. At least not right now.

I was telling Chad on Twitter that I think we're having a bit of an identity crisis. And by crisis, I don't actually mean crisis. Just trying to figure out who we are. Last week at Navy we had success passing, so it felt like this week we wanted that to be our identity. And it led to 3 and outs, no running game, and our defense being on the field the entire first half. We need to figure out who we are. We have 3 RBs with talent (depending on Boone's health), I'd like to see us approach the rest of this year as Coach Cronin used to do when he had lesser talent. Run the ball, run the clock, shorten the game. Operate at the base level. Might be boring but it at least slow things down for our guys who may be at a talent and experience disadvantage.
Shouldn’t be any big surprise to Fickell about how much goes on in the game. After all, he was interim head coach at Ohio State for the better part of the year - Maybe it was easier for him because he had already been in the system and was surrounded by better players and possibly better coaches. I think the team is probably two years away from being reasonably competitive
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
XgradforUC

XgradforUC is on a distinguished road
I agree with the comments about Howe far the program has fallen, and about it being a couple of years away from being able to compete for a championship. Last night the team, at times, looked as bad as I can remember it looking in years. There just isn't a whole lot of top notch talent on the roster that I can see.

However, the big plus that I do see is the effort that the team seems to be playing with. They are trying hard and not quitting. After last year, I'll settle for that right now.
XgradforUC is offline   Reply With Quote