Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 9+ 8 32.00%
UC wins by 5-8 7 28.00%
UC wins by 1-4 8 32.00%
SMU wins 2 8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Scouting SMU:

Kenpom : #29
KP Off Rank: #33
KP Def Rank: #29
Best Wins: #14 Arizona, #52 Boise State, #45 USC, #77 UCF
Losses: #118 UNI, #78 WKU, #22 TCU, #119 Tulane
Record in True Road games: 0-2

Key Stat rankings:
Off Reb %: #25
3pt %: #6 (42.4%)

Team leaders:
Scoring: Shake milton (17.2ppg)
Reboundng: Jarray Foster (5.9rpg)
Assists: Shake Milton (4.6)

SMU maybe the most balanced team we have played thus far. Offensively they are one of the best 3 point shooting teams in the country and like last year, have 4 guys shooting well over 40%, including Ben Emelogue who leads the nation in 3 point shooting percentages. Starting Freshman center Ethan Chargois can really stretch the floor and is 44% of his 60+ attempts this year. They play slow and methodical using 18.7 seconds of clock per possession and working the ball around to find a good shot. When they do miss, they always go for the offensive rebound and sometimes send all 5 guys to the glass. 6'6 Jarrey Foster has more offensive rebounds than Gary Clark. Thats working the boards. Jamal McMurray can also really score for them off the bench but has mostly been a 3 point threat as he hasn't really started converting at the rim yet. SMU really only plays 7 deep or so but plays such a slow deliberate style that they never really get tired.

On Defense, SMU works to keep you out of the paint. They do their best to force you to shoot late clock jumpers. They also really try to use their length and athleticism to jump in the passing lanes and force TO's. They rank 9th
in TO% in the country. They play a defense thats a lot like Xavier's packline only much more aggressive in forcing TO's. Because they don't play a lot of guys, they are of the best teams in the country at not fouling. Scoring won't be easy but I think at home, I like our chances of the ball going in the net

In 2 years, Jank has instilled a culture and identity at SMU: They shoot well, control the pace, offensive rebound like madmen and play paint clogging defense that forces TO's with out fouling.

This one won't be easy but I like our Chances.

UC by 5 or more
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
Hub hows all our numbers looking with RPI and all that kind of stuff?
Jumped up 18 spots after last nights win.

Win on Sunday and will be top 25 in every metric and top 10 in most
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyfan21 View Post
This one is home. But agreed that we need this one. Hoping we get the extra jolt of home court advantage and a packed BB&T arena. Cane should be good to go I assume.
I sure as hell hope Cane is good to go - I really enjoy watching him play - the game is a sell out I think - should be rocking

Just hope we can shoot freaking free throws!! SMU doesn't foul a lot - Cats need every point.

Don't want to be like UCLA, who lost to Stanford after shooting 19-35 from the line, including 2 misses with 18 seconds left after which Stanford hit a three to send it to the first of 2 OTs and a win

Last edited by juckerrules; 01-05-2018 at 04:40 PM.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I wonder how much of the SMU loss to Tulane was a trap as they're minds might have been towards us or is Tulane actually that good.

Our team has probably been thinking about SMU for awhile knowing what they did us last year twice.
SMU was firmly in control for the 2nd and 3rd quarters of last night's game then Tulane scored on 10 straight possessions and it led to a 15 point swing (Tulane went from down 10 to up 5).

SMU went cold down the stretch and Tulane made their free throws (5 of 6 during final 20 seconds) to ice the game.

SMU had to go with smaller line-ups with Chargois out and Tulane finally found a way to exploit it with their length when it mattered.

Their game took a different trajectory than ours but I think Tulane is good enough where SMU's loss can be blamed more on a poor 8 minute stretch in the 2nd half and the absence of a key cog (much like us) rather than not being 100% there mentally.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
juckerrules
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
SMU was firmly in control for the 2nd and 3rd quarters of last night's game then Tulane scored on 10 straight possessions and it led to a 15 point swing (Tulane went from down 10 to up 5).

SMU went cold down the stretch and Tulane made their free throws (5 of 6 during final 20 seconds) to ice the game.

SMU had to go with smaller line-ups with Chargois out and Tulane finally found a way to exploit it with their length when it mattered.

Their game took a different trajectory than ours but I think Tulane is good enough where SMU's loss can be blamed more on a poor 8 minute stretch in the 2nd half and the absence of a key cog (much like us) rather than not being 100% there mentally.
Not having Chargois was the difference - I think not having Broome almost got us at Temple
Old 01-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Winner of this game either extends the nations longest home winning streak or takes the lead of it.

IF we lose, SMU will hold that title.

Lets make it a ruckus environment and get loud.
Gotta have the home crowd roaring. Coach Cronin was talking about how much we need that and how much of a difference it makes. This is easily one of the biggest games. Can't freaking wait for it.

SMU 63
UC 71
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I would like SMU to be the in the top tier of the conference for a long time. I like their program. I'd take them being good over Built4BannersU anyway.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I would like SMU to be the in the top tier of the conference for a long time. I like their program. I'd take them being good over Built4BannersU anyway.
They'll likely be one of the early contenders for league champs in 18-19 even if they lose Milton to the draft.

McMurray
Whitt
Foster
Mike (Duquesne transfer sitting out 17-18)
Chargois

That's a damn good starting 5.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #19
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
They'll likely be one of the early contenders for league champs in 18-19 even if they lose Milton to the draft.

McMurray
Whitt
Foster
Mike (Duquesne transfer sitting out 17-18)
Chargois

That's a damn good starting 5.
I forgot about Mike. He looks like a good player
Old 01-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #20
juckerrules
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Gotta have the home crowd roaring. Coach Cronin was talking about how much we need that and how much of a difference it makes. This is easily one of the biggest games. Can't freaking wait for it.

SMU 63
UC 71
We'll be shaking BB&T, I guarantee that....know if Broome is available?