Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 8+ 7 25.93%
UC wins by 4-7 11 40.74%
UC wins by 1-3 4 14.81%
UCF wins 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
Cincy -6.5
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Scouting UCF
Kenpom: #75
Offense Rank: #278
Defense Rank: #4
Tempo Rank: #306
Best Wins: Nebraska, @Alabama, Temple
Worst Losses: #127 UCONN, #77 St Johns and #40 Missouri
Average PPG: 64.6 (334th)
Defensive PPG: 59.1 (3rd)

Analysis:
Defense:
I'll be honest, I never would have guessed that UCF would be 12-5 after losing BJ Taylor after just 1 game and sharpshooter Aubrey Dawkins before the season even started. So much credit is due to Johnny Dawkins and his staff for developing a winning team despite lacking any sort of offensive punch. The Knights live on defensive effort and Tacko Fall is a huge reason behind it working so well for them. Tacko Fall allows UCF to play him in a one man zone while the rest of his teammates guard way up on the perimeter to protect the 3 point shot. They strive on forcing contested jumpers or funneling your drivers right into the long arms of Tacko Fall.

A lot of noise is made about Tacko's presence on the defensive end but it would be very short sighted to look past what AJ Davis brings to the table for them defensively. Synergy ranks him as an "Excellent" defender, allowing just .68 points per possession against him. He is a 6'9 SR forward who moves well and can guard multiple positions. He ranks #5 in the nation in defensive win shares. Him getting in some early foul trouble would really help UC find its way offensively.

Also of note; last year UCF ranked #18 in defense and #2 in effective FG% defense. However this year, its doing very much the same thing it did last year in forcing bad shots and causing a lot of misses but they are also getting out in the passing lanes, playing aggressive and forcing TO's. They went from #341 in forcing TO's all the way to #99. Thats a huge leap and also explains why they've made huge strides in defensive efficiency.

Offense
If elite is the word I'd use to describe UCF's defense, then hot garbage would be how I'd describe its offense. Its just bad. They shoot a dreadful 30.4% from 3 and that number alone shows how much they miss not having Dawkins and Taylor around. Tacko Fall leads this team in scoring with 12 points a game, which mostly come around the rim (He is shooting 77% overall, which is good for #2 in the nation). Fall is shooting just 48% from the free throw line, so to me, I'm giving him nothing easy around the rim and a hard foul that takes him off balance maybe the best way to go if you get beat on positioning. AJ Davis is the second leading scorer and also dishes out nearly 3 assists a game.

Honestly its to talk about them offensively because they mostly just want to survive on that end of the floor. They want to hold you to 50 so they can do their best to throw in 51. Its ugly basketball. So ugly that UCF's Offense is worse than any team in the top 132 of the nation.

The X Factor
Chad Brendel put it best when he said that BJ Taylor has been Day to Day for going on a month now. Its very likely he will play tomorrow and its just so hard to predict what he gives them. Does he come out rusty and end up being a liability for them (hard to imagine at least offensively, Quadri Moore would look lik the Michael Jordan on that team) or does he give the Knights the offensive spark they have been looking for all season? IF he is on his game, Cane and Justin will have their hands full. UC will need to exploit his rust and try to frustrate him early.

Prediction: UC Wins 67- 54

Sorry guys, I know 90% won't read, but I just like to write about CBB and UC especially
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Scouting UCF

Analysis:
Defense:
I'll be honest, I never would have guessed that UCF would be 12-5 after losing BJ Taylor after just 1 game and sharpshooter Aubrey Dawkins before the season even started. So much credit is due to Johnny Dawkins and his staff for developing a winning team despite lacking any sort of offensive punch. The Knights live on defensive effort and Tacko Fall is a huge reason behind it working so well for them. Tacko Fall allows UCF to play him in a one man zone while the rest of his teammates guard way up on the perimeter to protect the 3 point shot. They strive on forcing contested jumpers or funneling your drivers right into the long arms of Tacko Fall.

A lot of noise is made about Tacko's presence on the defensive end but it would be very short sighted to look past what AJ Davis brings to the table for them defensively. Synergy ranks him as an "Excellent" defender, allowing just .68 points per possession against him. He is a 6'9 SR forward who moves well and can guard multiple positions. He ranks #5 in the nation in defensive win shares. Him getting in some early foul trouble would really help UC find its way offensively.

Also of note; last year UCF ranked #18 in defense and #2 in effective FG% defense. However this year, its doing very much the same thing it did last year in forcing bad shots and causing a lot of misses but they are also getting out in the passing lanes, playing aggressive and forcing TO's. They went from #341 in forcing TO's all the way to #99. Thats a huge leap and also explains why they've made huge strides in defensive efficiency.

Offense
If elite is the word I'd use to describe UCF's defense, then hot garbage would be how I'd describe its offense. Its just bad. They shoot a dreadful 30.4% from 3 and that number alone shows how much they miss not having Dawkins and Taylor around. Tacko Fall leads this team in scoring with 12 points a game, which mostly come around the rim (He is shooting 77% overall, which is good for #2 in the nation). Fall is shooting just 48% from the free throw line, so to me, I'm giving him nothing easy around the rim and a hard foul that takes him off balance maybe the best way to go if you get beat on positioning. AJ Davis is the second leading scorer and also dishes out nearly 3 assists a game.

Honestly its to talk about them offensively because they mostly just want to survive on that end of the floor. They want to hold you to 50 so they can do their best to throw in 51. Its ugly basketball. So ugly that UCF's Offense is worse than any team in the top 132 of the nation.

The X Factor
Chad Brendel put it best when he said that BJ Taylor has been Day to Day for going on a month now. Its very likely he will play tomorrow and its just so hard to predict what he gives them. Does he come out rusty and end up being a liability for them (hard to imagine at least offensively, Quadri Moore would look lik the Michael Jordan on that team) or does he give the Knights the offensive spark they have been looking for all season? IF he is on his game, Cane and Justin will have their hands full. UC will need to exploit his rust and try to frustrate him early.

Sorry guys, I know 90% won't read, but I just like to write about CBB and UC especially
Always read your view points and stats keep it up!!!!!
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Scouting UCF

Analysis:
Defense:

Offense

The X Factor

I usually learn a few things and appreciate the breakdown!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
Cincy -6.5
I think this would be an extremely tough road win with Taylor and Dawkins. I would expect Taylor to be rusty if he plays but Banks for USF didn't skip a beat so...

If we have learned anything from last year playing against Tacko I expect a somewhat comfortable win.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
i bet the total for this game comes out short of 120.
120 on the nose. in my face.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #17
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
If I were bj Taylor I’d just sit out the rest of the year. Why waste a year of eligibility when it’s a lost cause
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Big game tonight!! We have not played well in their gym. Some thought we may lose this game in their pre season predictions. . I am not one of them. Clark and company understand how big this game is toward winning a league title and will be ready to go. I look for the Cats to Win and cover the -6.5.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
The guys who were talking about Washington needing to hit a couple outside shots, couldn't agree more. Going right at the big man isn't a strategy that really applies when the guy is 7'6" I don't think. We'll just end up missing 2 point shots if we're obsessed with attacking him. The 3s from our big guys though can move him from his cozy spot right by the hoop.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #20
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I cant see us losing I just wonder if we play down to our competition. I see UCF is 9-2 against the spread so I don't think this will be a cake walk.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote