Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #21
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
If Semi doesn't return ,I really hope that a possible 2 loss conference season next year doesn't equal second place.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 04-11-2017 at 03:02 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
IF Semi doesn't return its bad news for the conference. They just won't have any 4's or 5's on the team that can compete against UC and WSU.

As for McMurray, Im confused on what class he would be if he returned. He transferred in the middle of his sophomore year, so when he plays the 2nd semester for SMU, would he be a sophomore or a JR?

If he is a JR, he should no doubt redshirt. If he is a Sophomore, then he needs to play and move Shake to the 2 guard
I think he transferred early enough that it didn't burn a year of eligibility. I was under the impression that he'd be out until semester and be a SO. Not sure on that though. But he only appeared in 3 games last year. I guess if they struggle in the non-con they could hold him out, but I don't see the point.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #23
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think the league is going to be just like last year. 2 goods teams at the top and everyone else. I don't think anyone is even close to Uc and wsu. Not sure there is even another tourney team. Maybe ucf or uconn sneak in
I do like UCF to make a tourney run especially if SMU has a down year.

Also, UCONN still has a a bunch of 4 star guys on their team and can win but they really need good team chemistry. They could have won more last year even with the injuries if the team gelled better.

Obviously 3 transfers proves they had a locker room problem, not a talent one
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #24
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I do like UCF to make a tourney run especially if SMU has a down year.

Also, UCONN still has a a bunch of 4 star guys on their team and can win but they really need good team chemistry. They could have won more last year even with the injuries if the team gelled better.

Obviously 3 transfers proves they had a locker room problem, not a talent one
Agree, uconn has some players. They have zero size though. Like literally zero. They all transferred or graduated. I think that could be an issue
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #25
justinhub2003
Epic Member

I do expect the league to be top heavy.

That said; UCF, Tulsa, Temple, Tulane, UCONN, ECU should all improve

SMU, Memphis, Houston, USF will probably regress.

UC & WSU should hold steady

Reasons for each improvement/regression:
UCF: gets older, defense gets better, adds versatile talent
Tulsa: Gets older, Improves by developing a year longer
Temple: Has talent, returns experienced PG
Tulane: Dunleavy getting his team to play hard, should keep improving, best player back
UCONN: should improve just based on getting Gilbert and Larrier back and last year was so bad, the bar isnt high
ECU: Seemed to make strides at the end of season, returns best player.

SMU: Loses 2 players at minimum and maybe loses the AAC player of the year to NBA, no depth at the 4 and 5, hard to top last season performance
Memphis: Loses everyone on an already bad team, no good recruits, dumpster fire
Houston: zero big man talent, Loses Dotson who was a stat stuffer, no depth, little talent
USF Zero commits for incoming class, lost best players, hard to do worse than they did but they will find a way.

UC: Returns 3 starters, Expects big contribution from freshman of the year, adds high scoring point guard transfer
WSU loses no one. Would normally be an on the rise team but they upgraded in competition.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #26
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Agree, uconn has some players. They have zero size though. Like literally zero. They all transferred or graduated. I think that could be an issue
I would say Zero experienced size. They bring in 2 4-star Freshman big men (one a PF and one a Center)

Josh Carlton: 4 Star 6'10
Tyler Polley: 4 Star 6'9

They are going to have to start as Freshman unless Ollie lands a transfer so they will struggle to adapt. But Rarely does UCONN rely on its big men to do more than just rebound and Block shots
Old 04-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #27
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

Tulane: Dunleavy getting his team to play hard, should keep improving, best player back
UCONN: should improve just based on getting Gilbert and Larrier back and last year was so bad, the bar isnt high

SMU: Loses 2 players at minimum and maybe loses the AAC player of the year to NBA, no depth at the 4 and 5, hard to top last season performance
Houston: zero big man talent, Loses Dotson who was a stat stuffer, no depth, little talent
USF Zero commits for incoming class, lost best players, hard to do worse than they did but they will find a way.

UC: Returns 3 starters, Expects big contribution from freshman of the year, adds high scoring point guard transfer
WSU loses no one. Would normally be an on the rise team but they upgraded in competition.
Who will be worse, Memphis or USF? Also will either have enough for a team?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Who will be worse, Memphis or USF? Also will either have enough for a team?
When they play its got to be called the Battle of the dumpster fire.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #29
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Hard to believe Memphis will be that bad, kinda like mick's 1st year
Old 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Stop expecting things from Tulsa. They suck. Returning sucky players doesn't mean you won't suck. Frank Haith literally destroys everything he touches. They've gotten worse as his players have come in. He's an awful coach. They are bad. They will continue to be bad until he is gone. I know I joke about Haith a lot, but he really is that bad. They'll be incredibly lucky to go 8-10 in the league. Not every team gets better every year.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote