Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post

Like someone has mentioned before we have had some good seasons where we haven't gotten offense out of bigs before. I just wish those days were over because having scorers like Gary and Kyle is the reason IMO that we are on a different level this and year last year than years past.
that year with Cash, SK, and Parker, we were 118 in offense on kenpom and finished 40th overall. nobody wants to go back to those days.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Scott will be in year 4 and has gone against Clark and Washington in practice this whole time. He's a pretty reliable defender. He gets his hands on the ball a lot. I'd bet he leads the team or his damn close in deflections/40 minutes. He's also filled out over his time here. I'm not sure Diarra could hold up as well banging in the paint. I think Diarra will be brought along slowly and the trend of counting on older guys will continue.
No doubt. I was just looking at the potential for each player. Brooks and Scott can probably write their ticket now. Best Ellie and Diara can hope for next year is probably a split even if they are better for us overall. I have see very little of Diara but that kid can swat more shots than most of the players we have seen walk through our door...and he can shoot. Ellie is a just a beast and can probably switch on a guard (if we need it) from what I have seen.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
that year with Cash, SK, and Parker, we were 118 in offense on kenpom and finished 40th overall. nobody wants to go back to those days.
I don't think it's an apples to apples thing. That was old Big East slugfest days. This would be a more guard-oriented, deeper, more athletic team. A more modern twist if you will. At least I'd hope.

Also for the 2018 class...I'd be thrilled with L Johnson, T Jones, and F Policelli. I don't know where we are with Gaffney and K-Mart Jr but I'd like them to be a 2019 priority.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I don't think it's an apples to apples thing. That was old Big East slugfest days. This would be a more guard-oriented, deeper, more athletic team. A more modern twist if you will. At least I'd hope.

Also for the 2018 class...I'd be thrilled with L Johnson, T Jones, and F Policelli. I don't know where we are with Gaffney and K-Mart Jr but I'd like them to be a 2019 priority.
Plus as good as SK was, I'd take Broome, Evans, Cumberland over him, Cash (not 100% healthy), and Parker any day. But realistically, if we take a small step back as we adjust to life without Clark and Washington, that should be expected. We'll still be an old team with a lot of experience.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #25
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Don't for get Samari Curtis. That would be huge.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:52 PM   #26
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Just a way too early off the top of my head guess:

Evans 15 ppg
Cumberland 13 ppg
Broome 11 ppg
Williams 7 ppg
Moore 7 ppg
Brooks 6 ppg
Jenifer 6 ppg
Scott 6 ppg
Diarra 4 ppg
Nsoseme 3 ppg
L Johnson 2 ppg

^That's 80. Which is probably too much. But am I being way too generous with anyone?
Old 01-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
because most players are used to relaxing on defense when their man doesn't have the ball. they aren't out there playing high intensity non stop switching defense in high school or aau.

diarra seemed extremely raw on the defensive end as well when he got here. he has to work on the basic stuff like positioning and footwork. then add in all the stuff we do, its a lot to understand, and then he has to apply it properly.
Diara is raw and he likes to shoot. He will have to get that ironed out but he seems every bit as nimble as Scott on defense and his shot blocking is out of this world. His reach is like 7'2". He has a nice shot.

He has to be coachable though. So far he seems a bit like Quadri in that respect. Quadri never really figured that part out. He wanted to score every time he came in. Ellie seems very coachable.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:18 PM   #28
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Scott has played 15+ minutes in 15 games in his career. In those games he is at:

19.1 minutes
40-64 FG (62.5%)
6.0 PPG
5.1 RPG
1.6 APG
0.9 BPG
0.9 SPG

These are games where he played a lot of minutes...so many blowouts. But also some of the first chances at big minutes.. Take is for what it's worth. The Per/40 would roughly be:

12.6 PPG
10.7 RPG
3.4 APG
1.8 BPG
1.8 SPG
Old 01-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Plus as good as SK was, I'd take Broome, Evans, Cumberland over him, Cash (not 100% healthy), and Parker any day. But realistically, if we take a small step back as we adjust to life without Clark and Washington, that should be expected. We'll still be an old team with a lot of experience.

you're gonna have to factor in JJ getting 20 minutes at least. there is no way mick is benching him in his senior year.

and those 4 wont be the same as playing small when Parker was at the 4, none of those 4 guards play that tough hard-nosed game Parker played. I dont see any of them defending the 4 position the way he did. Cumberland has the body but isn't tough like parker was.

it will be an interesting year if no transfers or juco's come in.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #30
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Just a way too early off the top of my head guess:

Evans 15 ppg
Cumberland 13 ppg
Broome 11 ppg
Williams 7 ppg
Moore 7 ppg
Brooks 6 ppg
Jenifer 6 ppg
Scott 6 ppg
Diarra 4 ppg
Nsoseme 3 ppg
L Johnson 2 ppg

^That's 80. Which is probably too much. But am I being way too generous with anyone?
Who scores Evans 15 when he is in the league?
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote