Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Frustration Thread

Post your frustrations here! :-)

I am really frustrated about lack of recruits. I know star ratings dont mean everything, but look at Cumberland. His ranking definitely reflects the type of player he is. I think more top 75 players especially guards and more specifically a point guard is the real difference why we don’t have a deep one. We’re getting regular-season wins. I know we’re not in a P5 conference. Blah blah blah. That just won’t cut it for me.

Really wanting S16’s.

I’m also very frustrated about the assistant coaches. I will start a new thread about that.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #2
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
I am frustrated about the conference situation. I really don't know what else needs to be done to get a P5 invite. UC has spent a quarter of a billion dollars in upgrades and still haven't moved the needle.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I am frustrated about the conference situation. I really don't know what else needs to be done to get a P5 invite. UC has spent a quarter of a billion dollars in upgrades and still haven't moved the needle.
Uh, it's not like the P5 conferences are mailing out invitations on a weekly basis.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
I feel like the P5 conference thing was over years ago. It would be nice, but I quit thinking about it.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I'm over the P5 as a basketball standpoint. I mean we just got a 2 seed and we actually have a really good conference now that Memphis and UCONN will be back.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I'm over the P5 as a basketball standpoint. I mean we just got a 2 seed and we actually have a really good conference now that Memphis and UCONN will be back.
yeah, i have always thought it was more of a football thing. not saying it doesn't help but it's not the end of the world in basketball. Like you said, we just got a 2 seed and are proving this coming year, you can still schedule good games
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #7
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
yeah, i have always thought it was more of a football thing. not saying it doesn't help but it's not the end of the world in basketball. Like you said, we just got a 2 seed and are proving this coming year, you can still schedule good games
I think the fact that we got a 2 seed is quite a accomplishment by the team and staff. If memory serves me there was quite a bit of chatter on this board indicating our conference affiliation would hinder us in seeding. We finished the year 31-4 and won both league and conference titles but I am leery of saying all is well because the NCAA on a whole last year was not its norm in my view. The blue bloods really had a strange year. Kansas, Duke, KY and a few others were not the power houses we were used to seeing. It will be very interesting to see how things play out this year.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Since this is a frustration thread I am going to express mine. My frustration is for the Players and Coaching staff. As someone who has Played, Coached and followed sports my whole life I can not imagine the hurt that must have been felt after the Nevada game. The Players and Coaches will never forget that game. I don't know that people actually know how hard it is to get to the level they reached. We are not a one and done school. Our players are expected to go to class, turn in assignments, pass the course make their practice schedules which at times are grueling sessions and then perform better then the competition. We are a blue collar program not a blue blood. Our Players are generally here for 4 years. We get to see them grow as people not only players. Gary Clark and others are much more then basketball players. They represent our City and our University very well. When students walk up to the podium to receive their degree its value is enhanced by student athletes like SK and Gary Clark so much more then the one and doners. This is the program I root for. I was crushed a promising season ended the way it did but not for myself but for the Coaches and Players. They put their heart and soul into that season. In the future we will raise the championship banners for the year. Some of the kids will come back for the ceremony, it will be a fine evening but in the end in their minds the season was one that should not have ended the way it did. My frustration is they will never know how much I appreciated the entire journey for if they did it may take the sting out of that terrible moment when they lost to Nevada. Thanks for a great run no matter how it ended. You helped raise the bar on what it truly means to be a bearcat
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #9
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
My frustration is the Cats missed their 2 best opportunities to really boost the program. Caupain's senior year and gary's senior year.

Caupain's we were hurt by seeding/matchups and wont know what they could have done had they met a different opponent in the 2nd round. Gary's .... well we all know about the complete meltdown. And now it feel like we have to wait 2-4 years to have a shot again...if we get that shot again.

I'm frustrated by the recruiting this offseason, but I admit I'm partial just upset about the end of the season and it could be tainting my view a little. But we lost 3 great players and have a new areana, tons of PT available if they are good and we still can't sniff some recruits. Johnson may make me change my mind about this class and I hope he does.

I'm frustrated by having the same conversations about the issues some of us see with the head coach and nothing ever changes. I understand the regular season has been terrific....we have good kids...but I want more than the tourney bust we have labeled ourselves with by our performance. I'm tired of the same excuses, some valid, but when you don;t change anything you can't blame only those things you don't control.

I'm frustrated in that some of the things we saw during the year came back to kill us in the tournament with a stubborn coach. Poor substitutions, playing tight with a lead going to evans 1:1 mode too early, holding Cane back hurt his progress in my opinion, and Cronin's obsession with not letting Kyle be Kyle.

I certainly appreciate that our kids gave it their all, and I think they deserved better from their coach in the tournament. I hope he continues to evaluate his performance and changes some things to get past the plateau. It will be tough though cause the success in the regular season is undeniable...but I think you have to realize the only thing that matters to most fans in all of college basketball...and to many recruits is NCAA tourney performance. And the recruits also want to see you send kids to the NBA. So while I hate to lose Evans, let's hope he can help us in the future. And I wish long careers wherever they end up to Kyle and Gary. Loved them both and I'm sure they will do well.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:48 AM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I think the fact that we got a 2 seed is quite a accomplishment by the team and staff. If memory serves me there was quite a bit of chatter on this board indicating our conference affiliation would hinder us in seeding. We finished the year 31-4 and won both league and conference titles but I am leery of saying all is well because the NCAA on a whole last year was not its norm in my view. The blue bloods really had a strange year. Kansas, Duke, KY and a few others were not the power houses we were used to seeing. It will be very interesting to see how things play out this year.
Kansas won the Big 12, won the Big 12 Tournament without Azubuike, got a 1 seed, and went to the Final 4. Not sure what you expect.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote