Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 08-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
Hard to tell how good he is against some pretty weak competition- in the few videos i have seen- but he is very long on defense and seems to have a decent stroke. Needs UC 's strength program
Might be our biggest selling point. 3-4 years from now he could be a force.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Saw an article before us, Iowa State and Nebraska got involved...he said he wants to make his decision before his SR season starts. I'd imagine that's still true if he's setting up visits.
He's seeing some pretty significant interest so what I am seeing on video must be wrong. I like his length but for a PG doesn't seem to have excellent handles and he shoots from his chest. Again the length is great and I am probably missing something that others who know more than myself are seeing.

Maybe someone can fill me in on his main strengths besides his length?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
He's seeing some pretty significant interest so what I am seeing on video must be wrong. I like his length but for a PG doesn't seem to have excellent handles and he shoots from his chest. Again the length is great and I am probably missing something that others who know more than myself are seeing.

Maybe someone can fill me in on his main strengths besides his length?
The length for a PG is pretty nice. From limited clips, it looks like he has good court vision. He can also add versatility to a lineup and allow you to go small if he can defend. If he plays alongside a jitterbug type combo guard, we can have 2 different style PG capable players on the floor at the same time. I think he would be seen as a long-term prospect. Maybe even a redshirt to work on his strength, depending on how his SR year goes. If we get him, I doubt he'll be the only guard we bring in. I view him as a guy we won't know a ton about until his 3rd year in the program. The tools are there to develop. Definitely seems like a Caupain type if he's a full-time PG, which is why it'd be nice to play him with another ball handler. Again though, I'd imagine this is all a few years down the road. Not often that you get a PG who is raw like Haliburton seems to be. But anytime you can get a 6'6" PG with what looks to be legitimate upside, you gotta take a chance. Even if he is more of a project at this age. We recruit for the long run here. So he definitely fits that bill. Projecting him out over the long run is the only way to look at him imo.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:54 PM   #14
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
With UC's focus on defense/tips and deflections he looks like a possible future bearcat. Would like to see clips of him against better players. Every single game Keith Williams played last year was against high level competition,which is why I am so high on him.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #15
BearcatRip

BearcatRip is on a distinguished road
I would prefer Tyler Harris. Although I loved and supported Troy, I don't want another "walking the ball up the court" guy. I am really looking forward to a faster paced game. Don't care for his jumper either.
BearcatRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #16
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatRip View Post
I would prefer Tyler Harris. Although I loved and supported Troy, I don't want another "walking the ball up the court" guy. I am really looking forward to a faster paced game. Don't care for his jumper either.
I don't think Haliburton and Harris's recruitments are related at all. If we get Haliburton, I guarantee we're still going to try to get Harris. I don't see Haliburton as a "transition back to Caupain" despite him possibly being that kind of player (his build is the opposite of Caupain so who is to say that'd even for sure be the case...they're really just both "big" for the PG position). I think Haliburton has PG skills and could bring the ball up the floor at times...but the game is moving towards the Guard, Wing, Big designations. I assume we're going for Haliburton with the intention of playing him with another guard, or even 2. So I guess I may be way off, but the idea of us moving back to the slow grind doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #17
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
The length for a PG is pretty nice. From limited clips, it looks like he has good court vision. He can also add versatility to a lineup and allow you to go small if he can defend. If he plays alongside a jitterbug type combo guard, we can have 2 different style PG capable players on the floor at the same time. I think he would be seen as a long-term prospect. Maybe even a redshirt to work on his strength, depending on how his SR year goes. If we get him, I doubt he'll be the only guard we bring in. I view him as a guy we won't know a ton about until his 3rd year in the program. The tools are there to develop. Definitely seems like a Caupain type if he's a full-time PG, which is why it'd be nice to play him with another ball handler. Again though, I'd imagine this is all a few years down the road. Not often that you get a PG who is raw like Haliburton seems to be. But anytime you can get a 6'6" PG with what looks to be legitimate upside, you gotta take a chance. Even if he is more of a project at this age. We recruit for the long run here. So he definitely fits that bill. Projecting him out over the long run is the only way to look at him imo.
If we land this kid I (like you) would like to land another guard with him. I like his long term prospects. Upside is good.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #18
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Agreed with these comments. I don't think this is going to be the guy in charge for 3 years at PG. Just a bigger guard for the wing and to backup a PG. Maybe go a bigger lineup at times.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #19
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
If we this recruiting class consists of Haliburton and Harris, and hold the 3rd scholly for a transfer big or something. Wow. Then we just had one heck of a class. A lot of "ifs" still. Haliburton will be visiting Oct 20-22. Hopefully we get a visit from Harris in the next month as well.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #20
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
If we this recruiting class consists of Haliburton and Harris, and hold the 3rd scholly for a transfer big or something. Wow. Then we just had one heck of a class. A lot of "ifs" still. Haliburton will be visiting Oct 20-22. Hopefully we get a visit from Harris in the next month as well.
It'd be cool if we could get them to visit together. Classmates and backcourt mates getting to meet each other and the team would be great. I agree with you that Haliburton and Harris aren't a threat to each other. At least not the way I look at it. They are totally different and could compliment each other very well actually. Harris could take on a scoring load at times if need be...more in the Broome mold. And Haliburton could be an extra ball handler and passer who can use his height and vision up top to keep a good offensive flow going. I'd be very happy to have either one, but both would be excellent. They can both have very good careers here I think.