Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
If we this recruiting class consists of Haliburton and Harris, and hold the 3rd scholly for a transfer big or something. Wow. Then we just had one heck of a class. A lot of "ifs" still. Haliburton will be visiting Oct 20-22. Hopefully we get a visit from Harris in the next month as well.
Yah...my preference would be a guy like Harris, a natural wing (tallish), and an offensive big in the spring...maybe a grad transfer.

If we do get this kid I would hope we concentrate on immediate impact players for the final two. I think he might need some time to develop but if we use all 13 schollies we should have that option to develop him. Maybe even red shirt him. It could pay big dividends.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #22
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Yah...my preference would be a guy like Harris, a natural wing (tallish), and an offensive big in the spring...maybe a grad transfer.

If we do get this kid I would hope we concentrate on immediate impact players for the final two. I think he might need some time to develop but if we use all 13 schollies we should have that option to develop him. Maybe even red shirt him. It could pay big dividends.
Haliburton is the kind of player you can afford to wait on to develop physically when you use most/all of your scholarships. That's a good point for sure.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #23
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I read an article yesterday on Harris. He wants to take his visits and decide in Oct. so I'm not sure if we could wait to have him and Haliburton on campus together.

Grand transfer comment wouldn't happen. We would have our starters for 2018-2019 season so we wouldn't need a grand transfer we would be two deep at ever position if no one leaves early or transfers. Unless you mean a grad transfer in 2019.

2018-2019 Season:
Broome/Jennifer
Cumberland/Moore
Evans/Williams
Scotts/Mamoudou
Brooks/Eli

If we get a player like Haliburton like you guys said we have time to develop.

If we strike out on a PG in 2018 we would need to get a transfer PG in 2018 spring that would sit Cane's Sr. year and take the starting roll for two years after or hope for a top pg in 2019. I just am not sure we could pull off a 5 star caliber 2019 pg that would be looked at as a starter as a freshman. I would rather get a transfer in the spring. A lot of options though and we are in a good spot to be selective so we shouldn't be too upset if we miss out some of these guys right now.

I am more concerned about scoring bigs. I hope Brooks, Scott and the others show that they will be able to take Washington and Clark's spot because it doesn't look like we after any bigs right now.

Back to Haliburton, he's visiting homecoming weekend. Hoepfully it's a nice weekend in Oct and he doesn't prematurely commit somewhere because we are his last visit I believe.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 08-17-2017 at 01:29 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #24
GarradJ21
Epic Member

I mean I could be totally wrong with my assessment I just imagine Haliburton as a wing/extra pg if needed. Not the main PG we are looking for?

I think priority for PG position is this:
2018 Tyler Harris freshman year avg 8-10 minutes get some good practice and so in game experience to lead the team in 2019.
If we miss Harris get a transfer that will sit out in 2018 unless there's a late blooming pg we get in on for the 2018 class.
If we strike out on all that sell a top 2019 4 /5 star pg that he could star right away as a freshman.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I read an article yesterday on Harris. He wants to take his visits and decide in Oct. so I'm not sure if we could wait to have him and Haliburton on campus together.

Grand transfer comment wouldn't happen. We would have our starters for 2018-2019 season so we wouldn't need a grand transfer we would be two deep at ever position if no one leaves early or transfers. Unless you mean a grad transfer in 2019.

2018-2019 Season:
Broome/Jennifer
Cumberland/Moore
Evans/Williams
Scotts/Mamoudou
Brooks/Eli

If we strike out on a PG in 2018 we would need to get a transfer PG in 2018 spring that would sit Cane's Sr. year and take the starting roll for two years after or hope for a top pg in 2019. I just am not sure we could pull off a 5 star caliber 2019 pg that would be looked at as a starter as a freshman. I would rather get a transfer in the spring. A lot of options though and we are in a good spot to be selective so we shouldn't be too upset if we miss out some of these guys right now.

I am more concerned about scoring bigs. I hope Brooks, Scott and the others show that they will be able to take Washington and Clark's spot because it doesn't look like we after any bigs right now.

Back to Haliburton, he's visiting homecoming weekend. Hoepfully it's a nice weekend in Oct and he doesn't prematurely commit somewhere because we are his last visit I believe.
I am a little confused here. If we get a grad transfer big who can score in this recruiting class...he can play when Washington and Clark leave after this year. We have plenty of athletic bigs with limited scoring ability (although their scoring could be better than expected).

Grad transfer can play right away for 1 year. Let's see how our bigs do before spring comes. If they are limited offensively we can look at a grad transfer. We really could use two of them to step up because I don't see any of them getting more than about 28 minutes. I like Brooks and Diarra out of the current bunch for offense. WE can always play small if needed.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #26
GarradJ21
Epic Member

My bad. I agree with that. I thought you meant grand transfer pg.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #27
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

2018-2019 Season:
Broome/Jennifer
Cumberland/Moore
Evans/Williams
Scotts/Mamoudou
Brooks/Eli

Don't sleep on Diarra as a 4 who can score.

I love that we're the last visit and it's homecoming weekend. We could easily lock him up right then and there.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Don't sleep on Diarra as a 4 who can score.

I love that we're the last visit and it's homecoming weekend. We could easily lock him up right then and there.
I like your optimism on Diarra! I am wondering how you see him scoring? He doesn't seem to be a back to the basket guy and his perimeter skills seem somewhat limited. He reminds me a little of Scott with a better outside shot. He has a nice outside stroke but I would almost rather play small in emergencies with a guy like Williams who can both shoot and break a guy down to get in the lane. How much do we lose on D if we play with Evans as our makeshift 4 over Scott or Diarra? I think we gain more on offense than we would lose on D.

I am just curious really. I am trying to figure out where Diarra fits in on the offensive side because I don't know enough about his game.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #29
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I like your optimism on Diarra! I am wondering how you see him scoring? He doesn't seem to be a back to the basket guy and his perimeter skills seem somewhat limited. He reminds me a little of Scott with a better outside shot. He has a nice outside stroke but I would almost rather play small in emergencies with a guy like Williams who can both shoot and break a guy down to get in the lane. How much do we lose on D if we play with Evans as our makeshift 4 over Scott or Diarra? I think we gain more on offense than we would lose on D.

I am just curious really. I am trying to figure out where Diarra fits in on the offensive side because I don't know enough about his game.
I am pretty high on Diarra from the small sample I have seen. He is way more muscular than I would have thought. He also seems like a gym rat, he has posted a ton of videos of him shooting in the gym on the Gun, playing against guys etc. He is way more skilled than Scott imo. Hopefully Scott has had a good off season. I could see Diarra taking some of his minutes this year. We have some serious shot blocking weapons his year and rebounding should not be an issue.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:23 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I am pretty high on Diarra from the small sample I have seen. He is way more muscular than I would have thought. He also seems like a gym rat, he has posted a ton of videos of him shooting in the gym on the Gun, playing against guys etc. He is way more skilled than Scott imo. Hopefully Scott has had a good off season. I could see Diarra taking some of his minutes this year. We have some serious shot blocking weapons his year and rebounding should not be an issue.
It's going to be awesome having big guys who can move. Even Brooks moves his feet very well for such a big dude. Hopefully that's being sold to the PGs we're looking at. I know Tyler Harris had mentioned wanting to be a big pick and roll PG.