Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #61
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
When I mentioned Durden /Burton/Logan, how did I leave off Field Williams? Caupain's 4 years were 33%-40%-32%-33% so you can't always count on improvement. How about Clark's 0%-52%-29%.
I understand numbers can go up and down. I just wanted to give a reference point for current player numbers. As I mentioned I don't expect Jacob to always shoot .418 for a season. Just saying we have some pretty good shooters right now in Evans and Cumberland...and Moore is supposed to be as well. The shift to better shooters seems promising.

.375 or better is a respectable number to say the least when you compare it to our past best shooters for a career. I think we have 3 guys who are in that ball park now.

Also I don't consider Clark as a viable example in this context. Caupain? Yes.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-17-2017 at 09:53 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #62
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
When I mentioned Durden /Burton/Logan, how did I leave off Field Williams? Caupain's 4 years were 33%-40%-32%-33% so you can't always count on improvement. How about Clark's 0%-52%-29%.
I should also mention I think the circumstances are important. Perhaps Vaughn and SK would have better career numbers if they weren't the focal point of defense. Evans has the benefit of having other capable players around him so he can be selective in his shots. Same with Cumberland. I would not expect them to fall back too far because of that in their %'s. They don't have to force too many shots off. Caupain was often left with the ball in his hands when the shot clock winds down. Again, circumstances have a lot to do with this.

I think we have guys who can knock down open 3's at a reasonable rate right now.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #63
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I should also mention I think the circumstances are important. Perhaps Vaughn and SK would have better career numbers if they weren't the focal point of defense. Evans has the benefit of having other capable players around him so he can be selective in his shots. Same with Cumberland. I would not expect them to fall back too far because of that in their %'s. They don't have to force too many shots off. Caupain was often left with the ball in his hands when the shot clock winds down. Again, circumstances have a lot to do with this.

I think we have guys who can knock down open 3's at a reasonable rate right now.
Yeah I don't look at this team and dream of the shooters of old times. We're fine. These guys can shoot. Not really even a discussion for me.

I am interested to see how Broome does from 3. He might have been the Vaughn or SK example you gave in terms of having to force shots he won't have to force here. We'll see. And if Keith Williams can at least be a threat, that makes us even more dangerous.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #64
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah I don't look at this team and dream of the shooters of old times. We're fine. These guys can shoot. Not really even a discussion for me.

I am interested to see how Broome does from 3. He might have been the Vaughn or SK example you gave in terms of having to force shots he won't have to force here. We'll see. And if Keith Williams can at least be a threat, that makes us even more dangerous.
You might be right with Broome. A career low average shooter from 3 but probably launched a high volume contested and from long range or on the move. I am not sure on Williams. His form isn't the greatest but it doesn't need to be if he only takes open shots.

This year we will be fine from 3 I agree. After looking at some of the numbers I am less inclined to think we need to attack more and shoot less 3's. I think we can make them at a good rate...but I really think we will be better at both driving and shooting!!
Old 08-17-2017, 02:12 PM   #65
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I get that this is a Bearcats board and we're all fans but other than that is there a reason why you'd project UC ahead of WSU?

Every preseason publication I've seen has WSU ranked as a Top 10 team.
Back to this again. We return our top 3 scorers. We add depth on the bench. There is a lot of optimism about our new starters coming in. They could BOTH be better than what we lost. Cumberland was one of our top 3 players arguably down the stretch last year as a frosh. Cane has been described by coach (and fans who have watched practice) as our most unguardable player...if not the best player (or one of the best) on the floor.

I like to exercise caution on those type of comments...but it's pretty high praise so I like to think he will be serviceable at worst. I have little doubt about Cumberland adding overall value above KJ. Again, we won 30 games last year....to think we might get better is very exciting! To pick us first in the conference based on this is probably not a pipe dream even as good as WSU will be.

It's up to the players and how much chemistry and desire we have. I like the thought of Kyle being a team leader...kid is confident as hell. We need that in the locker room and on the floor. He's a guy who doesn't doubt what he or we are capable of.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #66
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Back to this again. We return our top 3 scorers. We add depth on the bench. There is a lot of optimism about our new starters coming in. They could BOTH be better than what we lost. Cumberland was one of our top 3 players arguably down the stretch last year as a frosh. Cane has been described by coach (and fans who have watched practice) as our most unguardable player...if not the best player (or one of the best) on the floor.

I like to exercise caution on those type of comments...but it's pretty high praise so I like to think he will be serviceable at worst. I have little doubt about Cumberland adding overall value above KJ. Again, we won 30 games last year....to think we might get better is very exciting! To pick us first in the conference based on this is probably not a pipe dream even as good as WSU will be.

It's up to the players and how much chemistry and desire we have. I like the thought of Kyle being a team leader...kid is confident as hell. We need that in the locker room and on the floor. He's a guy who doesn't doubt what he or we are capable of.
I think the reason I'd go with Washington as a leader (Clark too kind of) is that he isn't a kid at all. I *think* he and Clark will be 23/24 years old.

I'm not nit picking bc you called him a kid...just stating in general that having older guys who have been around the block is pretty key. It's funny to think about those guys plus Evans not only being easily among the most talented guys, but they also have more experience in big moments than most of the guys they'll play on a regular basis. That's a great way to rack up a lot of wins.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #67
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I have totally blocked everything about crappy Yukon out of my mind...who do they have coming back this year? Didn't they have a bunch of guys transfer?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #68
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Funny thing is they a player with almost the same name as M. Diarra- first name is so close( like 1 extra O or something) close to same size 6'8-medical redshirt last year- and was a consensus top100 player- it could be cool when they guard each other.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #69
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have totally blocked everything about crappy Yukon out of my mind...who do they have coming back this year? Didn't they have a bunch of guys transfer?
Between transfers and graduation they lost 6 contributors from last year's squad - most coming from the front court. They return 3 players who essentially missed the entire season due to injury - all will have significant roles this year. An odd thing about their roster is that they don't appear to have any expected contributors between 6'4 and 6'6 which should give us a big advantage on the wings.

I see a lot of ups and downs for them this season but they could be one of the league's best teams in 18-19.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #70
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I think the reason I'd go with Washington as a leader (Clark too kind of) is that he isn't a kid at all. I *think* he and Clark will be 23/24 years old.

I'm not nit picking bc you called him a kid...just stating in general that having older guys who have been around the block is pretty key. It's funny to think about those guys plus Evans not only being easily among the most talented guys, but they also have more experience in big moments than most of the guys they'll play on a regular basis. That's a great way to rack up a lot of wins.
Yeah our average starting experience level will be very high this year. We have so much experience on the floor we may not need much leadership...lol! Just play...you already know what to do.

5th year Sr Washington
4th year Sr Clark
4th year Jr Broome
3rd year Jr Evans
Soph who's ahead of his years

Not to mention Moore, Jenifer, and Scott all 3rd or 4th year guys know what they should be doing when they get in the game.